Black Label + Citrus Solv + Unchained

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Ok guys I cleaned for a lady selling her now deceased dads home. Nice lady but when she came back when I was done complained of the smell. Stated, that had she known I was going to use something with these smells she would have stopped me.

So, my go to for synthetics is a lot of times (title) BL + Citrus Solv + unchained. Seems to work great. Here the twist. Day before this job I had some Awesome encap (orange) in my hydroforce and I left it in there and added BL/CS/Unchained to it to clean one of my rugs in my home.

I was experimenting to see how if there would be any adverse reactions or anything. It went fine at home, cleaned my rug, on with business.

So the next day I believe I used this same pre spray on this lady's job. (leftover)

So she tells me what she tells me after the job about the smell. Ive never had a problem with this if anything customers might say it smells great. She asked me how long the smell will stay for and I guess a few days to a week.

I get an email last night (13 days after job) she says the house still stinks and she describes it like a strong chemical smell a hotel would use to get the smoke odor out of rooms.

She wants to know what she can do to rectify the situation and if it involves me having to go back.

What can be done? This is a new one!

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We search out natural scents and essential oils that contribute to cleaning and have virtually no adverse effects. Many other formulators use fragrances that can cause headaches and negatively affects the brain. Pretty nasty stuff but very cheap to buy.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
We search out natural scents and essential oils that contribute to cleaning and have virtually no adverse effects. Many other formulators use fragrances that can cause headaches and negatively affects the brain. Pretty nasty stuff but very cheap to buy.
Are you saying the one non TMF ingredient in the preparation had a part in this?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Are you saying the one non TMF ingredient in the preparation had a part in this?
I cant say as I am not familiar enough. I would just go rinse it well because even if it is safe, people vary in their feelings about scents.

Reactions: TillertheJohn

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Had a property manager tell me once that after we cleaned one of her empty units it smelled like death, never had that happen before so i went over to the unit to inspect with her right on my heals telling me how horrible my guys cleaned it cause of the odor and how she expected more from her vendors. Walked in sure enough smelled like something died in there, got on my hands and knees carpet smelled great....long story short after a few minutes of searching I found a dead mouse in the garbage disposal. Loved watching that manager eat crow.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I remember one time had a lady say her house smelled like cigarettes after we cleaned it. Thought that was odd, walked in, sure enough smelled like ciggies.

Wasn't the carpet or anything in the room I could identify. It was a basement bedroom, I asked if she had storage back there, she said yes but nothing has been put in there.

Went in anyways, was full of her father in laws furniture smelled like it had been smoked up for 30 years lol. Her husband had moved all that stuff in over the weekend while she was out of town.

Reactions: TillertheJohn

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Could be nothing to do with your chems, could be something that was already in the carpet. I'd want to go back in and try and identify exactly what the smell is before doing anything.
You know what you say is interesting because there was a 2'x3' circle spot that didn't come out when I cleaned which was odd. When I asked her about what was there when she came back (a table, plant, etc.) she said her father had a mirror under the bed for 7 years or so there and we both seemed to think something from the mirror 'leached' out from the mirror into the carpet (wood or metal I forget).

Makes me wonder if whatever leached out is reacting to the cleaning solution causing a stronger chemical smell.

Just adding to the conversation. Who knows? I certainly dont at this point.

TillertheJohn

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Good advice and I agree.

I'm with Oxi on this, offer to go back and rinse it. That will also give you an opportunity to zero in on the "offensive smell". All about damage control at this point... be polite and as concerned about getting this resolved as she is.
I replied to ger email very polite of course thanking her for contacting me directly and apologizing for any inconvenience this is causing her. Let her know I am happy to go back and rinse everything out with water and suggested couple days I can do that.

Reactions: Lc17smp

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You know what you say is interesting because there was a 2'x3' circle spot that didn't come out when I cleaned which was odd. When I asked her about what was there when she came back (a table, plant, etc.) she said her father had a mirror under the bed for 7 years or so there and we both seemed to think something from the mirror 'leached' out from the mirror into the carpet (wood or metal I forget).

Makes me wonder if whatever leached out is reacting to the cleaning solution causing a stronger chemical smell.

Just adding to the conversation. Who knows? I certainly dont at this point.
Go back and smell the spot.