Black death hose burst nightmare in a $3mil condo

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Horrible wednesday on one of our trucks. Doing 600+ sqft of sand stone in a really high end condo right on alki beach. 3 showers, countertops, floors, etc

finish the master bathroom shower after a pretty painful set up time running hose to 4th floor right off the beach, set the hand tile tool down turn around and bam.. 240 degree black sludge literally blasting all over the ceiling, mirrors, walls, bathtub, everything.

looked like a bomb went off. Luckily we keep random general cleaning supplies in the trucks so we had a flat mop with a new pad to clean the ceiling 10ft up. Customer never saw the devastation thank god. Got it all cleaned up, casually told him we had a hose blow and needed to reschedule.. he was cool about it.

got it fixed and came back the next morning, groutmaster on all the sand stone it cleaned up awsome.. killed it and got paid. Then off to 2nd job for a ton of slate and area rugs.

I can think of at least 3 homes in the last 2 weeks where it would have been unimaginable.. one was $5mil home with white furniture everywhere and Im guessing liquid hot rubber doesnt come out of white furniture when it sits overnight.. OMG that would have been bad

oh and the hose was only 5 months old lol

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Horrible wednesday on one of our trucks. Doing 600+ sqft of sand stone in a really high end condo right on alki beach. 3 showers, countertops, floors, etc

finish the master bathroom shower after a pretty painful set up time running hose to 4th floor right off the beach, set the hand tile tool down turn around and bam.. 240 degree black sludge literally blasting all over the ceiling, mirrors, walls, bathtub, everything.

looked like a bomb went off. Luckily we keep random general cleaning supplies in the trucks so we had a flat mop with a new pad to clean the ceiling 10ft up. Customer never saw the devastation thank god. Got it all cleaned up, casually told him we had a hose blow and needed to reschedule.. he was cool about it.

got it fixed and came back the next morning, groutmaster on all the sand stone it cleaned up awsome.. killed it and got paid. Then off to 2nd job for a ton of slate and area rugs.

I can think of at least 3 homes in the last 2 weeks where it would have been unimaginable.. one was $5mil home with white furniture everywhere and Im guessing liquid hot rubber doesnt come out of white furniture when it sits overnight.. OMG that would have been bad

oh and the hose was only 5 months old lol
Glad it turned out ok. I'm wondering what brand of hose blew after 5 months? The absolute worst hose I've ever bought in over 30 years claimed a 300 degree temp rating made in Italy. Turned out to be total crap. It is the ONLY hose I EVER had a burst problem with that sprayed walls. Fortunately there was no real damage. Goodyear Neptune is what I've mainly used and it has only sprung like pin hole sized leaks, never a single burst. My machine does get up to around 240, but lingers in the 220 range. Actual output at the wand is more like 180 to 200 depending on what wand or tool I'm using.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Glad it turned out ok. I'm wondering what brand of hose blew after 5 months? The absolute worst hose I've ever bought in over 30 years claimed a 300 degree temp rating made in Italy. Turned out to be total crap. It is the ONLY hose I EVER had a burst problem with that sprayed walls. Fortunately there was no real damage. Goodyear Neptune is what I've mainly used and it has only sprung like pin hole sized leaks, never a single burst. My machine does get up to around 240, but lingers in the 220 range. Actual output at the wand is more like 180 to 200 depending on what wand or tool I'm using.

Idk the brand name, its rated for 3000 psi and I believe 300f. pretty dangerous, not just the fact that some serious damage could have been done to someones house but what if some old lady took it in the face, cant even imagine.

our lines get pretty hot when cleaning carpet but at the higher psi doing stone it gets really really hot

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Idk the brand name, its rated for 3000 psi and I believe 300f. pretty dangerous, not just the fact that some serious damage could have been done to someones house but what if some old lady took it in the face, cant even imagine.

our lines get pretty hot when cleaning carpet but at the higher psi doing stone it gets really really hot
I'd probably be looking for something better. My experience with the Alfagomma hose that supposedly was 300 degrees and like 5,000 psi made me wonder about the temp ratings especially. I never have gone over 1,000 psi with my machine and my average temp range is well below what my hose is rated at. I think I'd find out what the guys who are blasting really high heat all the time are using.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
parker paraflex imo is the best, its expensive but worth the price. Not the blue cheaper parker but the orange one.

its only downfall is the first job of the day the hose will have some memory, but 175ft feels weightless in your hands compared to any other hose... also its not hot to the touch on the outside so its easier to move around

2.80 a ft though

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Happened to me once. Of course it happened in a million dollar home. And it had valuable paintings. I had to repaint, address a big screen tv ad have the paintings restored. Now every 6 months replace need it or not.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
Happened to me once. Of course it happened in a million dollar home. And it had valuable paintings. I had to repaint, address a big screen tv ad have the paintings restored. Now every 6 months replace need it or not.

I replace the first 150’ every 6 months.......PERIOD!! I have had new ones that got stuck in a doorway blow up in the middle and at the ends. Of the 400’ we carry in the truck, the bottom 250 are like new, we rarely use them on houses. I always give my old ones away to whichever carpet cleaning guy I run into.

Reactions: rob allen