Big trouble about the van smog check | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Big trouble about the van smog check

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Hello guys ,my van is the FORD E350 HD 2004 about 150000 mileages.Last month it fail into the California smog check for OBDII.It cost me 600 bucks reset all monitors ,change a sensor .and technician told me to use 65 m/h drive hundreds miles to activate the monitor Status for smog check.But I 've driven about 300 miles it didn't to ready then technician tell me going on .
May I ask who is in the same situation as me ? I don't think I met a shoddy repairman .If I change to a new van, what is the most cost-effective model van at present.Add ,my truckmount is Prochem everst 408.thanks

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Hello guys ,my van is the FORD E350 HD 2004 about 150000 mileages.Last month it fail into the California smog check for OBDII.It cost me 600 bucks reset all monitors ,change a sensor .and technician told me to use 65 m/h drive hundreds miles to activate the monitor Status for smog check.But I 've driven about 300 miles it didn't to ready then technician tell me going on .
May I ask who is in the same situation as me ? I don't think I met a shoddy repairman .If I change to a new van, what is the most cost-effective model van at present.Add ,my truckmount is Prochem everst 408.thanks
You sure that's supposed to get smog test? Mine is over 9000lbs exempt emissions test. Maybe different state thing.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Please let me know which motor is in the van is it the 5.4 or 4.6

if it's through a oxygen sensor code and they just threw in a oxygen sensor they did not find out what was the root cause of the problem they just swapped in apart a real technician will diagnose and tell you what is going on that set off the oxygen sensor code in the first place

This is after testing the sensor to tell if it is good or bad

Please get me more information and I can help you out

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
This really makes me upset good technicians do not reset without confirmed repair!!!!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes in 99 but kept up with all of my ASE certifications
2 of my friends worked for Ford up till 2 years ago. Both went into union welding. The last one left because he was doing side work. They told him no more side work. This dude was doing his jobs, helping other mechanics fix their jobs, and doing side work at the same time. And still running circles around other guys lol. They said no more sidework he said fine by. Just like that. He was there since 98. He used to help me out a lot. Jacked up 2 trucks. Tore out my trans rebuilt it, siezed axle joints, motor mounts, fuel pumps. That stupid god damn white metal column shifter on 90's f series that snaps in half :( name it he helped me fix it.

Reactions: Ymetimme

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
This really makes me upset good technicians do not reset without confirmed repair!!!!
Hello ,Ymetimme.They do the diagnose but the form is complicated .Smog check fail for Catalyst \Oxygen Sensor\evaporative system \oxygen sensor heater not ready.I changed the van battery 2months ago.
They do the misc reprogram computer/replace mass air flow sensor (mas0104)\
When finish the repair,they told me drive hundreds miles lock 65 m/h, waiting for activate it.

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
My van is 2004 ford 5.4L heavy duty,Although I have run hundreds of miles, the monitor is still not ready. What else can I do in this situation

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
My van is 2004 ford 5.4L heavy duty,Although I have run hundreds of miles, the monitor is still not ready. What else can I do in this situation
Unfortunately because it was reset you have to wait for it to finish all the readiness test
I've seen it take quite a long time

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Unfortunately because it was reset you have to wait for it to finish all the readiness test
I check from some forum ,other guy said idle engine 20 min turn on the air conditioner then run to highway cruise hundreds miles .is that work ?Any tips ,please tell me

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I check from some forum ,other guy said idle engine 20 min turn on the air conditioner then run to highway cruise hundreds miles .is that work ?Any tips ,please tell me
Sure you can try it?
I've heard people come up with all sorts of things.
The fact is every vehicle has different readiness standards
This website is very helpful even though they're pretty far away from lol

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
If the shop properly repaired it the readiness will turn off just be patient it's not a big deal
I am just nervous to meet a stop from cop. I use the DMV temporary permit on the road .Only 2 days valid in 60days .I didn't fill in the date until I met the cop.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I am just nervous to meet a stop from cop. I use the DMV temporary permit on the road .Only 2 days valid in 60days .I didn't fill in the date until I met the cop.
Emission states are such a pain in the butt!!!
Since when should it be a cop's job to make sure vehicles are emissions compliant.
I would suggest taking a vehicle every time you have to go somewhere it will make the readiness go faster I know it has to go on the highway has to have a few hot cold cycles I'll see you driving cycles. So in theory the more you drive it the more likely it will complete its readiness.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you get pulled over just tell them whats going on. Theyll let you go. At most theyll make you come to station to show you got it taken care of when you do.