Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
the rug is sitting in my shop. I let sit in the sun, because they hate that. I order the poison on line waiting for it to come. I would take a picture but I killed the little pricks and it sitting in the sun so that will also killed them. this is the second time this rug been at my shop for the same problem. this time I order the right stuff to kill them.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Killing moths requires a pesticide licence in most states. You may be committing a crime to sell that service.

The pesticide can be harmful to the rug. Be careful,e specially if the customer may be sensitive to chemicals.

Two ways to treat. #1 is by freezing. Needs to be lower than 20 F for a couple days. #2 is to call a licensed exterminator.

The moth products for rugs are to keep moths away so they don't lay eggs on the rugs. They do not kill the moths or the larvae once they get in the rug.

Keeping a rug clean, in use and some light on it are all ways to help keep moths away. Don't store a rug that is dirty. Even rugs in rooms that are not used often should be cleaned every 18 months or so.

If there are moths in one rug, likely they are in every wool rug or garment in the house. So, check the other rugs. They may need to be cleaned and/or treated as well.

Reactions: john gerding

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Killing moths requires a pesticide licence in most states. You may be committing a crime to sell that service.

The pesticide can be harmful to the rug. Be careful,e specially if the customer may be sensitive to chemicals.

Two ways to treat. #1 is by freezing. Needs to be lower than 20 F for a couple days. #2 is to call a licensed exterminator.

The moth products for rugs are to keep moths away so they don't lay eggs on the rugs. They do not kill the moths or the larvae once they get in the rug.

Keeping a rug clean, in use and some light on it are all ways to help keep moths away. Don't store a rug that is dirty. Even rugs in rooms that are not used often should be cleaned every 18 months or so.

If there are moths in one rug, likely they are in every wool rug or garment in the house. So, check the other rugs. They may need to be cleaned and/or treated as well.
Thanks for clearing that up scott i thought there was more to it then just spraying pesticide on the rug....ay vito might wanna cancel that order bro..

Steamin' Seaman

Jun 15, 2010
Maine
Real Name
Buddy
Business Location
United States
Microban X590.... Gets rid of them.

I did not say kill them, I said gets rid of them. See how you have to use this. You don't have a pesticide license you have to be careful what you say.

It does kill them and most other little suckers like bedbugs and all.

Some states not legal for x590 so an alternative could be to put rug in bag with moth balls and seal it. Forget what the egg cycle is but it takes the oxygen and displaces with gas/chem on the moth balls. They suffocate from this I believe.

The moth ball treatment I picked up someplace? Never did a complete job this way.
Moth balls can discolor wool so be careful.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I would avoid use of moth balls on rugs. It can discolor wool. The odor of the moth balls (either naphthalene or paradichloride benzene) can be very difficult to remove form rugs. Some people are sensitive to this odor. It can cause health issues.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I look it up on the web I need to buy Permethrin 6% to kill those sucker.
I prefer pyrethrum as its all natural. Permethrin is man made synthetic of it and much more hazardous to people and pets.