Big franchise only allows 7 mins room to clean | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Big franchise only allows 7 mins room to clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’ve ran into a few who worked for the big franchise. They lamented that they are only allotted 7 mins per room to clean. What’s your thoughts on this?

IMG_0006.JPG

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Are you talking about SS? Could be self induced if they need to get out fast because of no up sales.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I spend about an hour on 5 rooms in the average house. That's between set-up, clean and break-down.

Doesn't include talking to the customer.

I don't move any furniture except light stuff and in most cases the customer has already pre-vac.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My thoughts are they are dishonest, greedy, and lazy, scumbags who are cheating their customers who THINK they have hired a professional service rather than use one of those Wal-mart carpet cleaning toys. When people hire a PROFESSIONAL and pay their hard earned money they deserve a professional job. If a franchise cannot deliver professional quality service that actually reflects their branding and advertising they need to get an honest job. (Oops, I'm inadvertently exposing a particular franchise, sorry) It takes more than professional ads and professional vans, professional equipment, and even professional TRAINING to actually BE A PROFESSIONAL. They will make a lot of money short term most likely and leave behind in their wake many dissatisfied customers. Is that plain enough for everybody? :) Buyer BEWARE! Limiting to 7 minutes is not only ridiculous, it's down right WRONG. Don't even claim your an honest professional if you do that. You absolutely are not. This is as shady and wrong to me as the old bait & switch that I think all honest people condemn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
7 min per average room size up to 150 sqft is not that bad as long as this doesn't includes pre vac and pre spray. for me the extraction part it takes about 10-15 min per room.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I believe it. thats the first thing a new customer will tell me after Im done. the last cleaner was only here for 1/2 hour. guess thats why Im booked solid (including Saturdays) until Dec. 22. there just arent that many companies that take the time to do it right.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Rooms for me take as long as they need to. If I can do a room in 5 minutes? Fine by me. If a room the same size takes me 20? Still alright. My prices are set so anything I lose on one room I get back on the next. Not that I lose on any of the rooms, just a little less profit here and there.

Reactions: Fedri

SkylinePrints

Nov 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Real Name
Nathan
Business Location
United States
Rob, your question lumps all franchisees together. That's like all O/O are the same. Each franchise is independent and operates within guidelines set up by the master franchise but I doubt seriously the "big franchise" set a 7-minute rule. Sounds like a local franchisee goal that was set up for his cleaners. Some O/O probably have similar requirements for their trucks.

Do I agree with a time limit like that? No. However, I do think there should be some guidance on expectations if you have employees on how long a job should take. Given enough data, any business should know an average time on the job. I'm sure you do for your trucks as well.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
which is why paying by commission has its advantages.

If you pay by the hour, the employee can milk out the day. If you pay by commission, they will be much more efficient also knowing that any redo is on their dime.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
which is why paying by commission has its advantages.

If you pay by the hour, the employee can milk out the day. If you pay by commission, they will be much more efficient also knowing that any redo is on their dime.
Flip side to that is on commission they rush and do a crappy job.

I do a hybrid kind of model but I always make it clear, I don't tolerate lazy work.

Reactions: John Rockwood

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
if they do a crappy job and you make a followup call in a couple days and the customer is not happy, the tech goes back on their own time. Eliminates that problem.

Plus if they do a crappy job, then either they were not trained correctly or the hiring process needs adjusting