Bidding a far away job by photos.

Old fat and slow

Jun 16, 2020
Real Name
Mike Peterson
If a job is less than 25 miles away I always pay a visit look the situation over give a bid on the spot. If it's more than 25 miles away I ask the customer to text me over some photos answer a few questions then text them a price. Most of the time it works good. Today because of the whole covid situation being slow in sales I took on a job 60 miles away. Terrazzo floor in a church no air conditioning . The floor was beyond repair not till I unloaded my equipment did I find out they already had someone else try to fix their stained pitted terrazzo floor with zero success. 35 years working this business and I still am learning by my mistakes. Driving a hour and 15 minutes to do a job not the brightest move. Giving a bid not seeing the job again stupid move. Not asking enough questions to even determine if I should spend anytime at all on even bidding the job another stupid move. In the end after working on his floor for a hour plus I called my contact told him I couldn't get the floor to what he wanted after doing a small area and said no charge. A wasted day but another lesson learned I guess.

Reactions: Swani21

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
If a job is less than 25 miles away I always pay a visit look the situation over give a bid on the spot. If it's more than 25 miles away I ask the customer to text me over some photos answer a few questions then text them a price. Most of the time it works good. Today because of the whole covid situation being slow in sales I took on a job 60 miles away. Terrazzo floor in a church no air conditioning . The floor was beyond repair not till I unloaded my equipment did I find out they already had someone else try to fix their stained pitted terrazzo floor with zero success. 35 years working this business and I still am learning by my mistakes. Driving a hour and 15 minutes to do a job not the brightest move. Giving a bid not seeing the job again stupid move. Not asking enough questions to even determine if I should spend anytime at all on even bidding the job another stupid move. In the end after working on his floor for a hour plus I called my contact told him I couldn't get the floor to what he wanted after doing a small area and said no charge. A wasted day but another lesson learned I guess.
Hopefully they'll appreciate your honesty and maybe you'll get a referral out of it and it won't be a total loss.

Reactions: Old fat and slow

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
This is why i never quote over the phone and don't work more than an hour away.
I sometimes ask for photos, especially for showers so I can give a range of prices.
Some people think that regrouting a walk in shower would only be a couple of hundred bucks, not $1500!