Beware of Ford Transit - major issues | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Beware of Ford Transit - major issues

dfwgreg

Jan 29, 2009
Dallas
Real Name
Greg Dfw
With Ford's complete lack of competent customer service, design flaws and poor quality control, I would avoid Ford Transits at all costs.

We have a 2015 Ford Transit 3500 extra long and extra tall with nothing but problems. It's spent about as much time at the dealership as it has in service. Here's a quick rundown of the issues:

1. rear differential completely rebuilt under warranty
2. BCM replaced twice under warranty
3. Battery replaced under warranty
4. Seat replaced under warranty
5. Multiple extended failed diagnostic sessions to solve chronic electrical issues and failure and more in its short life.
6. We also had to replace REAR brakes at my expense, which also makes no sense.

Read my summary below sent as documentation to my service advisor after the multi month wait to get a Ford "engineer" to assess the unresolved issues. They weren't going to ever send an engineer until I contacted corporate. We told him what we thought was happening and how to reproduce it so he didn't have to do much. Basically you can't open any doors more than a few times over a couple of hours without running the motor or the BCM wakes up for 20 minutes and saps the battery. It won't start and crazy computer issues screw it up for the day even if you do manage to get it to start. His solution? Hire someone to put a kill switch in the BCM. Wtf? What are the ramifications of that and WHO would you even get to do that. Plus I'm sure it voids the remaining warranty which I'm sure is what he really wants. No issues with our Chevy.

Email summarizing issue:

"This is just to document our conversation a few minutes ago and to confirm my understanding of the engineer's assessment of the chronic problems with the van's battery and electrical system failure under normal working conditions.

Per our conversation, the BCM (body control module) activates for 20 minutes any time the doors are opened and drains the battery. So any time this van, that is supposedly designed to be a work van, is actually at a job site and working, the battery will fail if the cargo bay is accessed more than a few times in a couple of of hours. Additionally he said he cannot or will not reprogram the BCM. He also WILL NOT bypass or disable this function that prevents the van from being used for it's intended purpose. He suggests I find an aftermarket installer that would somehow know how to install a "kill switch on the BCM" .

This is a ridiculous proposal and not a solution for a design flaw that should be Ford's responsibility.

Please confirm that this is the Engineer's recommendation.

If so, we will escalate this to wherever necessary for a fair resolution. Our industry forums will be anxious to hear of our problems and lack of solutions for Ford Transits used for virtually any type of work or contracting.

This 2015 van with just 27,000 miles has had to have the rear differential completely rebuilt, BCM replaced twice, battery replaced, seat replaced, multiple extended failed diagnostic sessions and more in its short life and all under warranty. We also had to replace REAR brakes at my expense, which also makes no sense.

Forward this to whomever you need, but this is far from resolved. "

dfwgreg

Jan 29, 2009
Dallas
Real Name
Greg Dfw
My Addendum

Additionally, the Engineer's solution of finding someone to install a "kill switch" on the BCM would most certainly void the remaining warranty, which I'm sure he would like, but is not happening. So the problem remains completely unresolved and I basically told him what the problem was. So after months of trying to get an engineer out, he simply confirms my diagnosis, passes the buck and does NOTHING.

Please forward both of these to the service manager.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Shame, that's why I love my GMC! Seems like all vans/minivans have issues! We have a 2010 Routan, nothing but problems, getting a new tranny under warranty as we speak! And we have friends with chryslers, nothing but issues as well! Sorry to hear about your problems with your bread/butter!

Reactions: dfwgreg

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
That's crazy man I've got a couple transits with the Ecoboost and absolutely love em....nothing but happiness from them. Also own a e350, and a e450 no issues from them either.

Reactions: StevenB.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Sorry to hear about your problems... that explanation about the battery is BS. I have a 2016 Transit and I've never had a problem with the battery draining. I've had zero problems actually... about 12k miles on this one now. Sometimes when I am backing up I hear the rear brakes catching but never thought much of it. I did buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty. Seems you've had a lot of unrelated problems. Maybe change mechanics?

Reactions: StevenB.

alexus

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2014
Real Name
Aleksandr Davidov
Sorry to hear that , we so far very happy with our transit

Reactions: Scott W

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
Sorry about the bad experience you are having. Had a good Ford experience put over a million miles on them.

Reactions: Scott W

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
With Ford's complete lack of competent customer service, design flaws and poor quality control, I would avoid Ford Transits at all costs.

We have a 2015 Ford Transit 3500 extra long and extra tall with nothing but problems. It's spent about as much time at the dealership as it has in service. Here's a quick rundown of the issues:

1. rear differential completely rebuilt under warranty
2. BCM replaced twice under warranty
3. Battery replaced under warranty
4. Seat replaced under warranty
5. Multiple extended failed diagnostic sessions to solve chronic electrical issues and failure and more in its short life.
6. We also had to replace REAR brakes at my expense, which also makes no sense.

Read my summary below sent as documentation to my service advisor after the multi month wait to get a Ford "engineer" to assess the unresolved issues. They weren't going to ever send an engineer until I contacted corporate. We told him what we thought was happening and how to reproduce it so he didn't have to do much. Basically you can't open any doors more than a few times over a couple of hours without running the motor or the BCM wakes up for 20 minutes and saps the battery. It won't start and crazy computer issues screw it up for the day even if you do manage to get it to start. His solution? Hire someone to put a kill switch in the BCM. Wtf? What are the ramifications of that and WHO would you even get to do that. Plus I'm sure it voids the remaining warranty which I'm sure is what he really wants. No issues with our Chevy.

Email summarizing issue:

"This is just to document our conversation a few minutes ago and to confirm my understanding of the engineer's assessment of the chronic problems with the van's battery and electrical system failure under normal working conditions.

Per our conversation, the BCM (body control module) activates for 20 minutes any time the doors are opened and drains the battery. So any time this van, that is supposedly designed to be a work van, is actually at a job site and working, the battery will fail if the cargo bay is accessed more than a few times in a couple of of hours. Additionally he said he cannot or will not reprogram the BCM. He also WILL NOT bypass or disable this function that prevents the van from being used for it's intended purpose. He suggests I find an aftermarket installer that would somehow know how to install a "kill switch on the BCM" .

This is a ridiculous proposal and not a solution for a design flaw that should be Ford's responsibility.

Please confirm that this is the Engineer's recommendation.

If so, we will escalate this to wherever necessary for a fair resolution. Our industry forums will be anxious to hear of our problems and lack of solutions for Ford Transits used for virtually any type of work or contracting.

This 2015 van with just 27,000 miles has had to have the rear differential completely rebuilt, BCM replaced twice, battery replaced, seat replaced, multiple extended failed diagnostic sessions and more in its short life and all under warranty. We also had to replace REAR brakes at my expense, which also makes no sense.

Forward this to whomever you need, but this is far from resolved. "
Do you have the limited slip axle or the regular axle? Do you know which gear ratio?

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My bud returned a lemon 2015 jeep Patriot manuel trans with 3 transmissions gear boxs in 40k miles

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This is why I prefer to buy an american product that has been on the market for awhile. God ideas but then just don't execute them well. Takes a year or two to get bugs worked out. On flip side my Nissans have been flawless. Japs execute properly.

Scott Kaun

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
My jaw is dropped, holy cow....all that from NEW Van....guess I'll keep my old GMC, it's clean, rust FREE, keep maintaining IT to LAST, ha. Sorry for ALL your issues.

Reactions: keep it clean

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
0ae508f4518711e3b65e1229073a5876_8.jpg

Ya rob im waiting on Nissan , maybe the end of this year .

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Sorry to here about all the problems. I have a 2016 medium roof, Ecoboost with over 5000 miles and not had one problem with it. I average 16 mpg mixed driving city/highway. Like the van very much for what I use it for. I have no TM mounted in it but use it to haul flood equipment and other floor cleaning equipment with it. I wanted the high roof but glad I didn't buy it because I would of had to watch the overhang on my house roof so I didn't hit it. Medium roof goes right under it with around four to six inches to spare.