groutguy

Mar 9, 2008
Fredericksburg Virginia
pristinepete.com
Real Name
Peter Diehl
Business Location
United States
Groutguy...when hcp puts the info into your system is is tagged with the invoice number so when you are doing your reconciliation it is easy to match. What I do when I'm doing the bank matching is just click on all of the deposits shown and exclude them. Since hcp has already done the transaction in qbo
Thanks for the info, I should start seeing the transactions come through tomorrow so I will try that.
Another question, all my invoices go to quickbooks with the same product/service description of "Housecall job" this won't allow for my qb reports to show the percentages of each different service we do. Any way to change that?

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately there isn't another way around that as of yet. Might want to give them a call though and see if they have any suggestions. Only way I know would be to go in and manually change it in qbo once the transaction has been downloaded. Kind of a pain though. I thought about doing that but didn't seem to be worth the trouble at this point for my business

Reactions: groutguy

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
I did call, but I don't believe the girl I talked to understood my concern. I did sign up for the full service and will play with it to see if it will work for me, if not I will cancel it.

I will report back.
Ask to talk to Chris and/or Reza - they did the QBO integration and will be able to answer it better for you :)

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
Thanks for the info, I should start seeing the transactions come through tomorrow so I will try that.
Another question, all my invoices go to quickbooks with the same product/service description of "Housecall job" this won't allow for my qb reports to show the percentages of each different service we do. Any way to change that?
We are constantly improving our QBO integration. Just so you know we are always updating HCP and releasing new features and fixes daily (and then send out a weekly newsletter with changes).

We just won best existing integration with QBO for an app, and although we're not perfect we want to win it again next year - so keep the suggestions coming so we can improve it. Here is myself (Roland) and Reza (engineer) standing on stage with Scott Cook founder of Intuit (maker of QBO) at their yearly flagship conference 2 months ago.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
We are constantly improving our QBO integration. Just so you know we are always updating HCP and releasing new features and fixes daily (and then send out a weekly newsletter with changes).

We just won best existing integration with QBO for an app, and although we're not perfect we want to win it again next year - so keep the suggestions coming so we can improve it. Here is myself (Roland) and Reza (engineer) standing on stage with Scott Cook founder of Intuit (maker of QBO) at their yearly flagship conference 2 months ago.
Roland, I have a few transactions that won't go through because I have QBO simple start and it's telling me that I need to upgrade my version of QB, is there any way around that? I really don't want to upgrade.

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
Roland, I have a few transactions that won't go through because I have QBO simple start and it's telling me that I need to upgrade my version of QB, is there any work around that? I really don't want to upgrade.
Unfortunately this is something that we can't help work around. This is QBO's way of trying to get people to upgrade from the entry version to the higher one. What we do is try to push the information to QBO, and then QBO says Nope we don't accept the data because their plan is on the Simple Start version :mad: So it's not on our end, their servers are doing that :devil:

Reactions: Jose Holguin

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
Roland, no support for QB desktop?
Nope - we only plan on ever doing integrations with cloud-based products so everything can remain real-time. Intuit is slowly transitioning away from Desktop (even though QBO isn't as feature rich yet, they are putting all their engineering time there).

Reactions: Mike Krall

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
Quickbooks is going to faze out support for desktop version in the near future

To begin with the online version had very little support in the beginning
And the desktop had all the support

Now they are concentrating on the online version and just doing the bear minimum on the desktop version

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Nope - we only plan on ever doing integrations with cloud-based products so everything can remain real-time. Intuit is slowly transitioning away from Desktop (even though QBO isn't as feature rich yet, they are putting all their engineering time there).
I hope intuit dies a slow death then :D

When I have to give up my desktop version is when I give up QB.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Quickbooks is going to faze out support for desktop version in the near future

To begin with the online version had very little support in the beginning
And the desktop had all the support

Now they are concentrating on the online version and just doing the bear minimum on the desktop version
Never going to happen. There's millions of mom and pop business that won't switch to online.

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
Never going to happen. There's millions of mom and pop business that won't switch to online.
Although they used to make a majority of their revenue from QBD, it's quickly declining and being eclipsed by QBO. Only time will tell, but the trend and lack of QBD updates/support confirms it.

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
Mirosoft gave up support for xp when there. Was a huge number of businesses using it still

Because they made more money from the businesses because they were forced to upgrade

Same with quickbooks there is more money in the online version than the desktop version

Money rules

Reactions: MikeGaure

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Although they used to make a majority of their revenue from QBD, it's quickly declining and being eclipsed by QBO. Only time will tell, but the trend and lack of QBD updates/support confirms it.
I get updates all the time on the desktop. Of course they are usually bug fixes.

The thing with desktop is what else do you need it to do? It's been around forever. Like you said it's more feature rich then online so at some point onlines devolopment will stall.

It's just going to take one big hack and people will shutter the online version.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Mirosoft gave up support for xp when there. Was a huge number of businesses using it still

Because they made more money from the businesses because they were forced to upgrade

Same with quickbooks there is more money in the online version than the desktop version

Money rules
That's different. XP had a code base that could only take you so far. Security is always a big headache for the OS and it was time for M$ to move on. It's not like they moved to online, just a bigger, better version.

There's still a lot of XP hold outs...

Look at Microsoft Office, they've been trying for nearly a decade to get people to switch to the online version and yet they still offer a desktop version.

Office online now is also cheaper then the desktop.

Steve@GM

Apr 13, 2015
Will County, Illinois
Real Name
Steve Mentzer
Business Location
United States
I was originally going to stick to desktop only software, but after doing plenty of research it was clear that cloud-based software is the direction of the future and I need to make sure that my business is built on technologies that can grow with me vs. technologies I will soon have to replace.

To this end, I have decided on Xero for my accounting software. The feature set is great, the cost is low and the number of integrations available is huge. Plus payroll is included in their standard and higher plans. I think there are a few users here that use Xero.

My biggest struggle has been deciding on a CRM that integrated well with Xero and has a feature set that suits the service industry well. I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards Service M8. It's designed for the service industry, loaded with features, integrates completely with Xero and I really like the pricing structure. Unlimited users and they charge per job with the first 20 jobs each month being free. At first I wasn't sure about this but it really makes it easy to incorporate into the budget. Just like with supplies, it doesn't cost you money unless you are making money. Once I get it all set up and incorporated into my workflow, I'll probably do a post about my likes/dislikes/recommendations.

JeremyB

Apr 6, 2013
Australia
Real Name
Jeremy Barratt
Xero and Servicem8 user here. Love it, few minor integration issues that annoy me compared to some others.

Can't allocate cash and card payments to separate accounts in servicem8 so have to do manual reconciliation of cash to my cash deposit account. Same as hcp, can't separate out different service to different revenue accounts to track sales progress per service.

Built in GPS rocks!
Built in forms are great, ability to add pictures to client/job files is handy for covering ones backside.

There is no holy grail (yet) it is a case of picking what you can live without or working around.

Reactions: Steve@GM

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
That's different. XP had a code base that could only take you so far. Security is always a big headache for the OS and it was time for M$ to move on. It's not like they moved to online, just a bigger, better version.

There's still a lot of XP hold outs...

Look at Microsoft Office, they've been trying for nearly a decade to get people to switch to the online version and yet they still offer a desktop version.

Office online now is also cheaper then the desktop.
Here is the smoking gun... Bye bye Quickbooks Desktop

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Here is the smoking gun... Bye bye Quickbooks Desktop
BOOM!

Rolandal lands a crushing upper cut!

But hang on... Can't I still export into comma delineated format and then import that to QBD Accountant version?

rolandal

Mar 13, 2015
Real Name
Roland Ligtenberg
BOOM!

Rolandal lands a crushing upper cut!

But hang on... Can't I still export into comma delineated format and then import that to QBD Accountant version?
Just the beginning of the end (QBD) my friend.