Best ways of marketing for CC start up

Discussion in 'Carpet Cleaning Marketing' started by gregshulz, Aug 22, 2016.

1. gregshulz

gregshulz New Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello TMF,

Im putting together a marketing plan, just curious about more ways to advertise my service (99$ for 3 rooms)

I currently am planning to use
    - PPC (Adwords)
    - Postcards on peoples door (PLS give me insight on this)
    - Lawn signs for highways

Please give me more ideas. Greatly appreciated.

2. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,450 / 83 / -0
    Website that ranks on 1st page, get listed on all the sites for service providers (yelp, angies list), get a Facebook business page, post ads on Craigslist.

Check the laws in your area for yard signs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm a start up too. Got my biz license last Thursday but I don't have my equipment yet. I have been reading a LOT from the pros about marketing. Definitely get your website up and running. Use Craigslist and download the Next Door app for your neighborhood. Prepare to do EDDM's with a 5 around postcard plan. Send Jim is supposed to be great for that. Because I don't have a nice can with a nice wrap or magnets yet, I'm going to get a yard sign to advertise my special offers for each job I get and will take it with me when I leave. Some neighborhoods this might not be allowed. You're also going to want to contact property management companies, real estate agents, and carpet and Tile installation companies and leave them your info, perhaps a packet and some business cats. Constantly update your website with new material, whether it be pics or videos or a blog, make it a weekly priority. Seriously consider a referral program for your clients. It benefits them AND your business. Ask if they're ecstatic about the job you did, and if so, all them for a very short video review you can post to your website. From my understanding, it can take a year or longer for a startup to get to the front page depending on the size of your city and amount of competition, so start now. I read yesterday that because of this, ad words isn't the best for startups. Not sure if it's true or not. Go hand out business cats like a madman. Good luck, fellow newbie!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using TMF Forums mobile app

4. gregshulz

gregshulz New Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Appreciate it brother.

5. RAW Prespray

RAW Prespray Preferred Vendor

Sep 29, 2011
    Development Manager
    La Porte, IN
    Ratings:
    +269 / 0 / -0
    Greg, congrats on the new business. The most effective marketing for startups is road signs. If I did it all over again, I would've likely done a couple living socials or groupons and serviced the heck out of the customer so they'll hopefully call again. You'll be working for pennies, literally, but it'll hopefully pay off in the long run.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I like the road signs idea. It's my understanding that Groupon takes 40% of each purchase. And I would think people that would buy a groupon for carpet cleaning wouldn't usually be the kind to purchase the add-ons or other services necessary to be profitable which means you'd end up with diminishing returns, but sometimes things aren't always as they seem. If this is one of those times, please explain in more detail.

7. Kevin Lietz

Kevin Lietz Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    FINALLY Something I can actually share some advice too! I never thought that I would be able to add something useful here lol.

Groupons! I LOOOOVE me some groupons! I maybe very very new to the CC industry, but back in my days as a General Manager at a oil change shop, we used to get Groupons ALL the time. Some GM's would complain about them, with the same argument that you stated. And for SOME groupon customers, you're right... all they are looking for is a cheap deal. So it's a mixed bag of apples at times. But it's a great way to get customers in the door. Here's my thoughts (and I'll translate them over to our industry as opposed to oil changes).

Most customers (and I really do mean most) that have a Groupon have had their carpets cleaned before... they know how much it is usually going to cost them for a cleaning. A typical $150-200 Carpet cleaning will now cost them $100-150 (or however your Groupon is stated). Fantastic deal! However, you can look at it the situation in one of two ways... (And thus, sell your products/services one of two ways)... They have a great deal and I just lost $40 dollars in the process, OR They just "freed up" $50 dollars for other services. Maybe you have someone who normally only gets their carpets cleaned, but now they can spend extra money on a first time cleaning on their Tile, or Upholstery (then you can show off your AMAZING work to a "new" customer for Tile!)

So here's my tips and suggestions.

1. First and foremost it's all about How you say it. Be excited about their Groupon. Let them know they've gotten a screaming deal. If you don't mention it, or don't show enthusiasm with it, you won't get the sale for upgraded services. Bottom line is if you don't care, they won't care.

2. What you say is important too. When you talk about the added services, include the groupon discount they got as well. "So with the added Upholstery Cleaning to your carpet cleaning, the total would normally be $250, but your Groupon discount still saves you $50 dollars overall, making the Upholstery cleaning free compared to what you'd normally spend!" (Just an "on-the-fly" example, you get the point ;) )

Groupons are fantastic for bringing people in the door! When I was a GM, we actually had higher ticket averages for Groupon deals than we had for regular customers. It really does work if you know how to sell it!

8. Ken Raddon

Ken Raddon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    UT
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 8 / -0
    My best ever was/is flyers. With a killer deal and some add on items listed they can be a $139 deal going in and as much as $600 coming out.

PM me and I will hook you up with my killer flyer.

9. Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Mrs.SpeedySteamer Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
    Staff Member Moderator

Apr 26, 2012
    Female
    Business Branding
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Ratings:
    +3,957 / 4 / -0
    Although this is an old post I want to way in...

PPC is a good idea if you have

1. Some basic knowledge of how to operate your PPC account, and not pissing money down the toilet
    2. A good landing page and a way to track the PPC campaigns and their conversations

Postcards on people door - This is also a good idea. However, knocking and speaking to people would be much better. It is hard to do for many in the beginning, but the gain is well worth it. You can spend the entire day walking and speaking to people and not book a single job, but you got your business in front of people along with your face. On the other end you might book several jobs and make the previous day of not getting any jobs well worth it. Now take that same concept and apply it to businesses.

Not just your regular businesses that people think about. You have to think outside the box. We once did monthly carpet cleaning for a gas company that was near our home. Know how many times we drove by that place and didn't consider offering carpet cleaning, until one day - light bulb. Turns out a lot of the office staff were ladies and tired of the grime that was tracked in from the plant. Think outside the box when you're doing knocking and talking to businesses.

Lawn Signs - Lawn Signs - Love to hate them... There are some amazing Lawn Signs. Dexter ( I think that was his name, I haven't seen him on here in forever) had some pretty class act lawn signs. Then you have those lawn signs that are written with a sharpie and tact to a phone poll.... Don't be the phone poll guy, be like Dexter.

Hope this helps you (even though you haven't been here in forever - look who is talking, right) and anyone else that wants a little input on marketing.

10. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Vista print for yard signs.

For jobs craigslist is easiest for some quick income. Customers are usually bad but can't be picky.
    I do Google ads but it isn't doing as well as Craigslist unfortunately.
    Vista print also has door hangers. Try that.

11. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I would very much like to see these yard signs you're talking about. I was so close to ordering some last night, but something stopped me. Please point me in the right direction. I feel like mine I designed are either cheesy or not tactful enough and I want to be more sure before I spend what little money I have on them.

12. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Go to staples.com use their pre-made templates and you can add your own logo and info. Or something at Vista print. They are like 12$ per sign.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Geez, I was on Imprint.com and was about to order 50 signs for $80 (add stands and it's $100 total). I'll take a look at their templates. Would 50 have been overkill? How many would you recommend I start with?

14. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Also, I don't have a logo yet. Not sure how to go about getting one because I'm a musician, not an artist and I'm not the best with computers.

15. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just check out Vista print. I believe the do logo designs and websites. I went to a local graphic designer for mine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    50 signs is a lot. I just got like 10. They end up blowing away or city takes them down eventually. Also you may way to consider getting a permit for yard signs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,450 / 83 / -0
    @Ryankettering does logos I believe also heard fiver offer it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Will C

Will C Active Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's why I was getting so many. Plus, it's only about twenty dollars more to get that many ahead of I bought them ten at a time it'd cost about $350 to get to fifty signs. I'll look into permits, but I planned on posting them wherever I saw some already posted. I was going to post 10 in each of the 4 quadrants around me, alternating locations every two weeks to see how they're working. Think 10 would keep me pretty busy?

19. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,450 / 83 / -0
    I am not a fan of yard signs but if I was going to use them as my marketing and advertisment I would ask friends and family about putting them in their yards. Also consider offering customers a discount if you can place them in their yard for 15-30 days.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Predict

Predict Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I don't think yard signs are very helpful either. I live in small town and no one yet has said they called from sign. Door hangers is my best choice