best way to get a crease out of a area rug

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
no its not a true Oriental.. most likley a lowes or pier one rug... but they like the rug and it has a crease in it... they called me and asked if i could get it out... well can i? and how? thanks

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Your chances of sucess and the best way to do this will depend upon the backing or foundation yarns. That is liklely where the real problem is.

Find out the material used for the foundation. Also take not of how it is constructed - woven, tufted, gunned or whatever. Is there a scrim o rbacking material?

For some rugs you can get it loose with wet steam heat and lay it in the reverse direction to cancel out the crease.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Any idea how it got creased? If it was tossed in a closet and got folded up it may be fine after being laid out for a while. If it got wet or has been like this this since new could be a problem. Check the back to see if it has become de-laminated.

Apr 1, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Ron Koller
Business Location
United States
Is it Clean ? Sometime just a good washing with proper and controlled drying can flatten a rug. Steaming a dirty rug can open up Pandora's Box. Before you clean you do need to know how it is constructed. Lowes and Pier One sell all kinds of rugs manufactured in a lot of different ways.

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
Washing on most rugs takes care of this. If it is a latex backed rug, or synthetic foundation, it could be creased from being folded, stacked on, etc. - and it's hard to get these out. Hanging them on racks to dry is notorious for creating creases if you are not careful.

Sometimes i roll the rugs from the length side rather than the normal width way. Tight roll, tie it up, and let it "learn" a new shape. Sometimes I roll them inside out. It depends. A photo would REALLY be awesome on this. We are pulling answers out of the air here...

Lisa

Oct 2, 2008
Victoria BC canada
www.therughub.com
Real Name
Stephen (DUSTY) Roberts
Business Location
Canada
I'm with Lisa on this one, without pics it is very difficult to give good advise. I propose that if you want serious help on this forum then you gotta be serious enough to take some pics and post them.

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
Exactly Dusty! :)

I just said the same thing on the "yellow on a wool rug" post... the real serious rug cleaners know there are so many different avenues on this, all wool does not react the same, and there is not just one type of "yellow."

With phones and digital cameras - it's just too easy to get photos, so no excuse! You risk buying a rug if you do something dumb... so protect yourself by giving all you can so you can get a real response that helps.

I wish I could help more on this thread... I just have no idea what kind of rug we are talking about!

Lisa

Latest posts