best vehicle for truckmount and portable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

best vehicle for truckmount and portable

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
Hi,im new on this and starting from scratch,taking the first steps on getting certified and my question is,what vehicle should I invest in,for the portable I already have and for a near future truckmount? thank you

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
It depends on the type of work you want to be doing and what machine you plan to get. Direct drive machines you can probably get away with a 2500 or 3500 extended cargo van. For slide in units I prefer a 3500 extended high top or a small box truck. How much extra equipment will you have? Do you have other storage outside the van to swap out equipment you need for the day?

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
It depends on the type of work you want to be doing and what machine you plan to get. Direct drive machines you can probably get away with a 2500 or 3500 extended cargo van. For slide in units I prefer a 3500 extended high top or a small box truck. How much extra equipment will you have? Do you have other storage outside the van to swap out equipment you need for the day?
thank you for your response,I already have a portable and a CRB and my plan is to get a truck mount in the near future to be able to cover more services,my idea is to have all my machines in the vehicle at all times plus accessories and chemicals,what would you advice?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
thank you for your response,I already have a portable and a CRB and my plan is to get a truck mount in the near future to be able to cover more services,my idea is to have all my machines in the vehicle at all times plus accessories and chemicals,what would you advice?

Unless you're specifically needing the portable often for areas the truck mount can't access you'll soon find you dont use the portable as much.

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
Unless you're specifically needing the portable often for areas the truck mount can't access you'll soon find you dont use the portable as much.
I hope i get to that point sooner than i think,for right now I only have the portable and CRB I just want to invest in a vehicle suitable for both just in case.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Vans come in all shapes and sizes now but go with a 3/4 ton then decided how long and how tall. When your loaded with the TM, accessories and water tank you will be at least 1000lbs. I wouldn't skimp on the capacity of the van or size of the engine.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Pick what kind of truckmount you want as well. Some fit better in certain types of vans, and some can only go in certain models.

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
Vans come in all shapes and sizes now but go with a 3/4 ton then decided how long and how tall. When your loaded with the TM, accessories and water tank you will be at least 1000lbs. I wouldn't skimp on the capacity of the van or size of the engine.
good point,and that clarifies my situation,thanks John! now,one more question,how much is the price going for a dry cleaning with compound?

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
What are you needing to know about dry cleaning?
I want to have an idea of the bases to charge for a low moisture compound cleaning with CRB do you charge by room or by SF? I just did my first 2 jobs and they came out really good I just don't want to undercharge.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I want to have an idea of the bases to charge for a low moisture compound cleaning with CRB do you charge by room or by SF? I just did my first 2 jobs and they came out really good I just don't want to undercharge.
You are the one to determine what you need. The general agreement around here is to try and maintain 100 per hour less chems, etc. My base line for vlm is the same for TM but depending on age, soil and other factors my price gets adjusted up never down. You will eliminate a lot of headaches if you pre qualify the expectations and results expected. If your ever unsure of the results you can achieve just agree to clean a small area of the dirtiest carpet for free then proceed if your customer is happy with the results. Don't be misled about a few results because the more you clean the more surprises you will come across (the good, bad & the ugly). lol

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
You are the one to determine what you need. The general agreement around here is to try and maintain 100 per hour less chems, etc. My base line for vlm is the same for TM but depending on age, soil and other factors my price gets adjusted up never down. You will eliminate a lot of headaches if you pre qualify the expectations and results expected. If your ever unsure of the results you can achieve just agree to clean a small area of the dirtiest carpet for free then proceed if your customer is happy with the results. Don't be misled about a few results because the more you clean the more surprises you will come across (the good, bad & the ugly). lol
Thank you John for your advice,Im taking notes as I read,like I said,I'm new on this but I take pride of what I do,I invested a good chunk and got the best I could on portable equipment and also taking the online IICRC certification soon,the more I can get educated the more I will be confident out there,thanks!

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
2010 chevy express 1500 good for truckmount?
That's a half ton I think you will be disappointed when you load everything in. 3/4 ton is the best all around. The suspension system on a 1/2 ton will be maxed out when your fully stocked. The engines and transmissions are also geared for lighter loads.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Dry compound in residential setting, not the best way to go, encap juice is diferent story. When I did HWE for lady who had unspecified VLM company 2 weeks before me, she said" If I had his( vlm guy) tools , I would've done much better job "
So ,it's the guy behind machine, not the method, to blame.

Cesaro

Aug 18, 2020
Real Name
Cesar cardozo
Hey Guys,what and what kind of chemicals should i get to startup? Im using CRB for encap and hot water extraction thank you!

gordon qian

Oct 31, 2019
Real Name
gordon qian
Business Location
Canada
for chems it really depends on what your local suppliers have, if they have poor prespray, then you have to buy online(rob's prespray is really good i heard). Currently I'm using bio break as the general prespray which is pretty good. For heavy grease you'll need higher ph and rinse, and certain other things like isopropyl alcohol for paint spots. here's a link to the list of decent-great prespray, hot water prespray usually works the best. mytee ltd3 might be a bit too heavy for condos and slightly outdated imho (both the chassis and 3 stage vacs, and heater isnt enough for cold water), unless you can get a really good deal on a used one. dual 20 amp also might trip breakers much easier than say 3 15 amp. get a mytee lx speedster with a dual 6.6", nautilus extreme or jaguar 8.4" instead. Small one if you are only going to use it for condos, and a big one with APF for condo+houses, again see what's available in your local first, in line heater can be added later.