best performing carpet protector

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
When the water that is mixed with any protector evaporates, only the active ingredient is left behind. One gallon of any protector will only be effective at covering so many square feet.

You can add all the water you want, but you are only adding water. When Scotchgard is diluted 9:1, it must still be applied to the same amount of carpet as if you had diluted 4:1 or even 2:1. That gallon of concentrated protector will only cover about 1,000 sq. ft of average residential carpet.

Diluting a protector with more water only makes the carpet wetter and means it will take longer to dry. If you are diluting at 9:1 and covering more square feet of carpet, you are not applying enough product.

Sorry to disappoint. But lower dilution such as 4:1 or even 2:1 with Maxim allows you to protect the carpet with less water but the same amount of protector.

I totally don't get this. Higher dilution rate means less protector "per sq ft" as you are applying. If I meter Maxim at 4:1 it would apply more protector than metering it 8:1 as I pass the spray over the carpet. There is no way to tell exactly how much protector chemical is on the carpet by time or technique, you put an even coating on the area and move on.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
To put it more simply - one gallon of concentrated quality fluorchemical protector will cover either 1000 sq. ft. or 1200 sq. ft. depending upon which brand you use.

If you add 9 gallons of water or 4 gallons of water or 2 gallons of water, you should still apply that one gallon of concentrated protector to the same amount of carpet. If you add more gallons of water, you are just adding more water, not more protector. More water does not make the protector go farther, you just have to get the carpet wetter in order to get the proper amount of protector on the fibers.

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
Good question, Frank. I deferred to our technical expert, Big Billy Yeadon, on this and here is part of the email he sent this morning:

"Wool has a natural protective coating that sheds soil and water. It does not need a protector due to its structure. Most carpet mills do not advocate the use of any protectors on wool."

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I'd copy in the rest of Bill's email but it was all about "da Bears"!
This is the biggest load of horsesh1t I have read in a long time. Wool is organic and as such, is extremely absorbent. This is why it stains so easily and permanently. It absorbs and assumes the color of the matter. The problem is that protectors do not work with the same effectiveness on wool and they can also compromise the texture and feel of it.

I hate to say it, Steve but thou hath been Gonged.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
People frequently ask about protecting their wool rug / carpet from moths. But I have seen many more wool rugs / carpets ruined by stains than by moths. Why not protect against this all to common problem? An absorbent fiber needs protection.

Maxim Advanced for wool has a much higher concentration of protector than those used on synthetic carpet. It also has more dye resistors. (Did you know wool has more dye sites that attract acid dyes than nylon does?) It is also formulated to be at a mildly acid pH level which is just right for wool.

amagicclean

Mar 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Real Name
Navshad Dharamshi
Business Location
United States
Actually, each gallon of the Maxim Advanced protector will cover 1,200 sq. ft. for residential carpet. The Scotchgard or Teflon only cover 1000 sq. ft. from each gallon. So, the Maxim Advanced covers 20% more carpet.

When you purchase by the case, Maxim Advanced is under $40.

Maxim Advanced is the only national protector that contains acid dye resistors like the ones applied during manufacturing for stain protection from food coloring and dyes. Although it will not bead up as much as some other protectors, it does great at repelling dyes from Kool Aid, GatorAde or similar. If you have not seen the video showing how you can demonstrate this to your clients, here is a link - Maxim Advanced Demo

But the real key, as I suspect Steve T pointed out (I did not read his post.) is that any name-brand protector will benefit your client and really boost your bottom line.

Many cleaners have found it beneficial to have two protectors available. "Mrs. Smith, would you prefer Teflon carpet protector for $X or our Maxim Advanced protector with dye resist that comes with a one year warranty against staining from household foods and beverages.?" This makes the choice between protector and protector plus warranty rather than a YES or No decision on protector.
Hi Scott, the sample, I tested, is a polyester carpet, & also tested by applying water and does not bead at all. Any ways, this is a new carpet approx 3-4 thousand sq ft installed in a worship place where a lot of tea, coffee, food would be served and my customer wants it guarded with the best product. Can you tell me what product would be best for this facility?
Thanks,
Shad.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
This is on sale at Bonnet Pro for $ 145.00 per case. http://bonnetpro.com/encapsulation/guardian.html

If you charge 10 cents per foot, your ROI is very high at 360%. And with Guardian, you get FREE SHIPPING*. Plus, it comes scented with ProFresh or unscented. Mix 1:1 for 1600 s.f. of coverage per gallon of concentrate. 6400 s.f. per case X 10 cents = $640 dollars, a $465 dollar profit for about an hour’s work.

Protector Testimonials

I did a trial with Guardian on one of my commercial contracts. It’s a 300 sq meter very busy family restaurant that gets trashed 7 days a week so we have to clean it weekly. After using Guardian the carpet not only looks brilliant even after the busiest nights but it cleans faster, easier and more efficiently than ever before. Every spot and stain just pops out with Surround... Brilliant! The owner is ecstatic and he thinks we are legends.

“I have used most of the recognized brands of fluorochemical products in my 30+ years in the industry, but Guardian is without doubt the best I have used. For value and great performance, you won’t beat it.”
Leo Powell, CEOAustralian Carpet Cleaning Institute

Schaper’s has been using Surround products on our showroom carpet, with multiple encapsulation machines for three (3) years. We have found that Bonnet Pro’s Surround Ultra and Guardian Protector have kept our carpets looking better than ever. Guardian has kept us from cleaning our carpets for over two and half (2-1/2) months. Even when we used HWE the carpet would re soil rapidly, sometimes within days. With Bonnet Pro’s desire to produce the best encapsulation products, we highly endorse these products.
Eric Schaper, Schaper's Supply
Philadelphia, PA 19134