team chile

Jan 30, 2010
memphis, tn
Real Name
Frank Jacob
Business Location
United States
Hey guys,
I am in a dilema about carpet protectors. There is dupont teflon, scotchgard, and maxim advanced to choose from. I have used the scotchgard and have had good results. The dilution ratio is 9:1 when you use a hydroforce sprayer(scotchgard.) I had recently tried the maxim advanced and it seems to be a good protector, however, the dilution ratio stinks. The dilution is 4:1 when you use a hydroforce sprayer. This product states that you will use less water in the application,but the area covered will be less than the scotchgard or teflon. I don't see the savings dollar wise between the maxim and scotchgard. Both are around $50.00 per gallon concentrate. What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Frank
PSH CLEANING SERVICE LLC:AddEmoticons04259:

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Frankly, Frank (I've been waiting a long time to use that phrase!) the cost per gallon of any protector is almost irrelevant given the profit potential on ANY of them!

I'm not sure on Maxim but the product price per foot applied with ScotchGard runs less than .04 per foot. Your pricing should be between .15 and .20 per foot so obviously there is a huge profit potential in any of the protectors. For example, on a 1,000 foot application at .15 per foot you'll net well over 100 bucks virtually instantly!

Scotchgard (and you) always will benefit from the literally billions of dollars 3-M has spent over the last forty years promoting the brand. Plus 3-M gives you tons of free marketing stuff to use selling the product. To help you sell any of the protectors (yes, even Maxim!) SFS has a Special Report that is a free download:

http://sfs.jondon.com/2268/resources/special-reports/up-selling-on-the-home-front

Let me know how the protector selling scripts work for you.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS By the way, Frank, even if ya go with Scotty W's Maxim product you can still use the techniques to sell it with the tips in the free Special Report. Happy to help!

team chile

Jan 30, 2010
memphis, tn
Real Name
Frank Jacob
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the advice Steve. Here is a question for you: Since 3M has been offering this products for many years, why haven't they made a formula that is compatable with wool carpet/wool rugs? Is there something that I am missing that could be holding me back when it comes to protecting natural fiber carpets?

Gnu

Nov 16, 2009
Onion Sniffing Country
bingclean.com
Real Name
Ka Nacka Chu
Business Location
United States
TC I have used every major protectant in my house. Maxxim dries fast and gives great anti-wear protection and dye blocking. 3M Teflon Advanced is unmatched. I used to love MAXIM but the cost ratio and actual results made me switch to Teflon Advance. I want to see results. Maxxim didnt permit liquids to pool, or stay suspended above the carpets surface. Also I put them side to side applied both to an entry carpet mat by the front door. Teflon stayed clean as heck with mud, red clay etc. Maxxim looked horrible within a week. it did repel but on the side by side it was night and day.

So Now I have free patches with 3M Teflon and Van decals too. Maxxim I just have a bundled warranty card

team chile

Jan 30, 2010
memphis, tn
Real Name
Frank Jacob
Business Location
United States
Thanks for "your two cents worth." I will give the teflon a try when I run out of what I got on hand.
Thanks,
Frank

Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Here's another two cents, and by the time this thread is done you will make a few good bucks I'm sure!

First off, 3M Scotchgard is a 4:1 dilution, so if you are putting it down at 9:1 I'm pretty sure you are spraying it too thin. Local experts please confirm this for me!

I have switched to maxim for two reasons after using the scotchgard brand for several years. First, it's more cost effective. I have been getting crazy prices from Canadian suppliers for up to $100 a gallon my cost on 3M scotchgard, that, of course is just not doable regardless of what Steve says about profit margins. I can get Scotchgard from the USA for a drastically lower price, but by the time you pay brokerage, tax, fees, and shipping you are still paying well over $50 a jug, and that is only if you are buying over $600 worth at a time. Second reason is the Maxim (I get for $43 a jug without all the brokerage and fees) has the additional dye resistors which scotchgard does not.

I tell my customers that protector doesnt keep your carpets and furniture from getting dirty. A common misconception if they are not pre-educated on that fact. What it does is seal the fibers so that they are easier to clean. If a customer does not understand this, they will think the product didnt work when they see dirt on their carpet.

team chile

Jan 30, 2010
memphis, tn
Real Name
Frank Jacob
Business Location
United States
Thanks Richard for the advise.
However, the 4:1 dilution is if you mix the scotchgard in a pump up sprayer and apply it. According the the instructions on the bottle, if you are using an injection sprayer, then you meter it 9:1. I have heard the arguements on the cost, but the math is simple. If you pay $50.00 for a gallon on protector and meter it 4:1, you will obviously be using more product. Thus, you will have to increase the cost to the client for protection in order to keep the profit margin in line.
Thanks,
Frank

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Thanks for the advice Steve. Here is a question for you: Since 3M has been offering this products for many years, why haven't they made a formula that is compatable with wool carpet/wool rugs? Is there something that I am missing that could be holding me back when it comes to protecting natural fiber carpets?
Good question, Frank. I deferred to our technical expert, Big Billy Yeadon, on this and here is part of the email he sent this morning:

"Wool has a natural protective coating that sheds soil and water. It does not need a protector due to its structure. Most carpet mills do not advocate the use of any protectors on wool."

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I'd copy in the rest of Bill's email but it was all about "da Bears"!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Hey guys,
I had recently tried the maxim advanced and it seems to be a good protector, however, the dilution ratio stinks. The dilution is 4:1 when you use a hydroforce sprayer. This product states that you will use less water in the application,but the area covered will be less than the scotchgard or teflon. I don't see the savings dollar wise between the maxim and scotchgard. Both are around $50.00 per gallon concentrate. What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Frank
PSH CLEANING SERVICE LLC:AddEmoticons04259:
Actually, each gallon of the Maxim Advanced protector will cover 1,200 sq. ft. for residential carpet. The Scotchgard or Teflon only cover 1000 sq. ft. from each gallon. So, the Maxim Advanced covers 20% more carpet.

When you purchase by the case, Maxim Advanced is under $40.

Maxim Advanced is the only national protector that contains acid dye resistors like the ones applied during manufacturing for stain protection from food coloring and dyes. Although it will not bead up as much as some other protectors, it does great at repelling dyes from Kool Aid, GatorAde or similar. If you have not seen the video showing how you can demonstrate this to your clients, here is a link - Maxim Advanced Demo

But the real key, as I suspect Steve T pointed out (I did not read his post.) is that any name-brand protector will benefit your client and really boost your bottom line.

Many cleaners have found it beneficial to have two protectors available. "Mrs. Smith, would you prefer Teflon carpet protector for $X or our Maxim Advanced protector with dye resist that comes with a one year warranty against staining from household foods and beverages.?" This makes the choice between protector and protector plus warranty rather than a YES or No decision on protector.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I seldom disagree with Bill Yeadon. But in this instance I must.

Yes, wool does natural shed dry soils. But it is very absorbent. It will suck in water based stains, oily stains and food coloring. DuPont Teflon has a product specifically for wool. The key difference is how much fluochemical is present. Because wool is more absorbent, it will need more protector to properly protect it.

Similar results can be achieved by simply applying more of Teflon, Scotchgard or Maxim.

Although a few mills that make wool area rugs do not suggest protector, I understand that most installed wool carpet should have protector applied.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Thanks Richard for the advise.
However, the 4:1 dilution is if you mix the scotchgard in a pump up sprayer and apply it. According the the instructions on the bottle, if you are using an injection sprayer, then you meter it 9:1. I have heard the arguements on the cost, but the math is simple. If you pay $50.00 for a gallon on protector and meter it 4:1, you will obviously be using more product. Thus, you will have to increase the cost to the client for protection in order to keep the profit margin in line.
Thanks,
Frank
When the water that is mixed with any protector evaporates, only the active ingredient is left behind. One gallon of any protector will only be effective at covering so many square feet.

You can add all the water you want, but you are only adding water. When Scotchgard is diluted 9:1, it must still be applied to the same amount of carpet as if you had diluted 4:1 or even 2:1. That gallon of concentrated protector will only cover about 1,000 sq. ft of average residential carpet.

Diluting a protector with more water only makes the carpet wetter and means it will take longer to dry. If you are diluting at 9:1 and covering more square feet of carpet, you are not applying enough product.

Sorry to disappoint. But lower dilution such as 4:1 or even 2:1 with Maxim allows you to protect the carpet with less water but the same amount of protector.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
PS I'd copy in the rest of Bill's email but it was all about "da Bears"!
I thought Bill was a Colts fan being from Indy and all. Chicago doesn't need any fair weather fans consider the climate they play in. :)

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I seldom disagree with Bill Yeadon. But in this instance I must.

Yes, wool does natural shed dry soils. But it is very absorbent. It will suck in water based stains, oily stains and food coloring. DuPont Teflon has a product specifically for wool. The key difference is how much fluochemical is present. Because wool is more absorbent, it will need more protector to properly protect it.

Similar results can be achieved by simply applying more of Teflon, Scotchgard or Maxim.

Although a few mills that make wool area rugs do not suggest protector, I understand that most installed wool carpet should have protector applied.
Actually, Scott, you and Bill are both right. I spoke with the head guy for Scotchgard at 3-M yesterday and Bill is right with new wool carpet which has lots of lanolin in it which is of course a "natural" protector. However, with hot water extraction (which will eventually be be needed) the lanolin is removed. When Scotchgard (or Maxim to be fair) is applied to the damp carpet as the carpet dries the Scotchgard is pulled into the fiber and becomes a highly effective carpet protector.

That's the "word from the top".

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Scotty, I'm flying down to Tampa today for a SFS seminar. Tell Doyle I suggested you come down and monitor the class!

Jul 7, 2009
fox cities
Real Name
Andy kramer
Business Location
United States
Here is my opinion take it or leave it but at least think about it. 3m scotchgaurd is great because of the name brand recognition but dupont is also well known do a test yourself down a hallway half dupont half scotchgaurd you will notice that as far as dry and oily soils dupont holds up much better. But if I had to choose out of those to and maximum I would choose maximum once you use a protector with acid dye blockers you will never go with out them again. When Mrs. Jones calls and has koolaid in her carpet and you have to take it our you will be happy you used the maximum. Now as far as protectors as a hole I use greenguard it has acid dye blockers and still holds up well against dry and oily soils. But the big kicker it goes 6000 sqft a gallon and cost you less than a penny a sqft to put down also it comes with the best demo kit in our industry makes selling it so easy. Check it out tri-plextech.com

King Cobra

Jul 30, 2009
Real Name
Carl
Business Location
United States
Now as far as protectors as a hole I use greenguard it has acid dye blockers and still holds up well against dry and oily soils. But the big kicker it goes 6000 sqft a gallon and cost you less than a penny a sqft to put down also it comes with the best demo kit in our industry makes selling it so easy. Check it out tri-plextech.com
So you've actually tested GG and liked the results?.
I was checking their site and didn't find info mentioning the demo kit is included; but I saw that they sale it, as well as a media kit