Bent blower shaft | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Bent blower shaft

Kalmcarpet

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Mitchell knight
Hi guys

Is it possible to bend/twist the shaft in a blower?

Never seen or hear of it but a guy i just purchased a machine off has had an "expert" (vehicle mechanic) look at his blower and is trying to say the shafts are bent.

Dont want this guy to get slammed with replacing it.

It is stuck which i qould put down to lack of maintenance and proper lubrication.

Your thoughts?

Thanks heaps

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Its possible I guess but unlikely its probably out of alignment. very noticeable if its a direct drive machine (less tolerance for misalignment) Belt drive has more tolerance but still needs proper alignment.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
R & R seems simpler when you have no knowledge of something .

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Honestly it can happen, but the big question would be what the heck caused it?

Kalmcarpet

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Mitchell knight
This is the issue. It was full of rust which is now freed up bit the alignment is way off. There are no guys anywhere near me that can work on it so its up to me.

Never had this happen with any of my other machines. Its 6 years old and the one i have is nearly 15.

How would we go about re-aligning it? I have replaced a bearing which was due to go and the others seem good.

There is no wobble in the shaft as it rotates so shafts are fine but clearly its not sitting correctly. The mechinic pulled it apart and god knows what he played with.

Thanks guys.

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
There is a thread on here about alignment of the rotors that was done by Joe, I think that was his name. He did a complete rebuild on his blower and uploaded video's of the whole procedure. If I remember correctly the clearance was .006" rotor to wall and also between rotors. He showed the procedure in the video if I remember correctly. The alignment correction on his setup was adjusted with feeler gauge in place and it was done from the back end of the blower, if my memory serves me correctly.

Before any of that was done though, he did completely clean up the internals of debris and corrosion.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Luky

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
look at the service manual and use feeler gauge to check for clearance. if the shaft is indeed "bent" then you must replace it, it cannot be re bent or straighten unless it can be pressed out. I think there might be a worn out bearing or roller bearing that is cause it to be misaligned

Kalmcarpet

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Mitchell knight
I have replaced the bearings on the front for the shafts but looks like the rear is busted also. Will be replacing those and aligning. The shaft is fine. If there was a bend or twist it would have a wobble which would strike the housing. The housing and lobes are iin perfect condition so i can only assume that its due to it being pulled apart and not knowing what he was doing.

Will update on the progress.

Thanks guys

Scott Kaun

Jun 17, 2012
Real Name
Scott Kaun
I've had bent shaft toast a blower on a Butler.... Then I had bearing go out one a Roots 56, cause shaft out of line, themed out was cheaper to find a used one, had a special place in Wisconsin called Furry Pump go thru it, they repair huge ones on barges, hugs ones... So, yes it can happen.

Trobertson41088

Oct 17, 2018
Real Name
Tanner
This is absolutely possible, one of one of the most frequent causes of blower failures is excessive overhung load. If you are exceeding the maximum allowable overhung load on the shaft, your v-belt drive is size improperly, or you are turning the motor at too high of an RPM (85% of Max +) it can easily cause a failure to the drive shaft side of the blower.

This will primarily affect the drive shaft bearing which takes the brunt of the side loading on the shaft. This can also be transmitted through the rotors to the gears resulting in premature wear and subsequent failure of the gears and gear end bearings. Excessive loading on the drive shaft can also cause the rotors to make contact with each other (“knocking”) and to make contact with the bearing housings (head plates) and the cylinder.

You could also be correct that it is just a lack of proper lubrication and maintenance.

or the units start to over pressure

Hi guys

Is it possible to bend/twist the shaft in a blower?

Never seen or hear of it but a guy i just purchased a machine off has had an "expert" (vehicle mechanic) look at his blower and is trying to say the shafts are bent.

Dont want this guy to get slammed with replacing it.

It is stuck which i qould put down to lack of maintenance and proper lubrication.

Your thoughts?

Thanks heaps