Benefect, Botaniclean, Bioesque. If anyone has used Bioesque, how does it smell compared to Botaniclean and Benefect. Ive used Benefect and Botanicle | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Benefect, Botaniclean, Bioesque. If anyone has used Bioesque, how does it smell compared to Botaniclean and Benefect. Ive used Benefect and Botanicle

Dadio

May 14, 2020
Real Name
Mark
Ive used both benefect and botaniclean and wonder how Bioesque smells compared to these two. I use benefect almost exclusively in my business but I use botaniclean when I can't get benefect or am out as Menards carries botaniclean. Benefect is the superior smelling product in my opinion but I was wondering about the bioesque as its ten bucks a gallon cheaper. Anyone used all three? Thank you.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Benefect was the original Thymol product and as such is the most commonly known. They have several formulas, one of which (Decon 30) is rated for both soft and hard surface use.

Botaniclean is a synthetic thymol, called thymox, which is made in a lab but is structurally identical to the natural compound.

Bioesque is most similar to Benefect, and is also a thymol product. It is labeled for both hard and soft surface use.

Benefect has a scent that is listed as "lemongrass" or "herbal", whereas Bioesque is described as more of a "spicy" scent. I have detected little to no scent from Botaniclean or the Concrobium variant of thymox.

All three agents list a kill time, or dwell time, of anything from thirty seconds to ten minutes depending on the intended effect.

In my humblest of opinions, the smell of an antimicrobial agent is the LEAST important factor in its use.

An antimicrobial is not to be applied unless the customer gives written, informed consent. It is not designed to be used for "cleaning", or removing of soil*. It is designed to reduce bio-load (the number of living microscopic or sub-microscopic organisms present) after soil has been removed.

As such, any professional using the product needs to be wearing respiratory protection AND the area must not be re-populated by anyone other than the working professional until the product is dry. Most thymol products currently on the market are listed as non-toxic and many do not require rinsing under certain circumstances. Once the product is dry, there are no known hazards.

When working with thymol, respiratory protection is designed to prevent you from inhaling droplets of such a tiny size (5 microns or smaller, which can be produced by ULV foggers and some manual sprayers) that they are pulled into the lower respiratory tract and are not subsequently exhaled. Doesn't matter if it's plain water - liquids are NOT supposed to go down there, and once they do they cause a lot of problems.

In this area, Benefect and Bioesque have been used interchangeably on thousands of jobsites. Whatever product you use, make sure the label gives specific instructions for the intended application. If, for example, a registered disinfectant product does not have specific instructions on how to apply it with a fogger, it cannot legally be used in a fogger. So read your labels and make sure you use the product in strict accordance.

*: There are some thymol agents, and other phenolic compounds, that contain surfactants and can be used as both cleaners and sanitizing agents. These generally require rinsing and still recommend a separate post-cleaning application of antimicrobial if there is a specific pathogenic concern.