Being a jack of all trades..your thoughts. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Being a jack of all trades..your thoughts.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I don't mean a handyman. Mostly I mean related to cleaning. Here is what I tell my customers,"if you stand on or sit on it I can clean it". I like to think of myself as an all surfaces cleaner.

Now with pest control,I have two separate business names and websites. The reason I like pest control is for property managers. And let's face it a lot of cleaners through out the years have used Microban to kill fleas thought they call it a "deodoriser". Thing is for move outs they need two separate receipts for pest and cleaning. And unless you have 2 companies and are registered with the EPA and State of Agriculture you cannot provide proper documentation. ;)

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Over the last few years, it has become more of an economic necessity to diversify. The last thing a cleaner would want is one of his regular customers calling the competition because he could not provide a service they wanted.

A clinet may expect many things from a carpet cleaner - upholstery cleaning, providing protector, deodorization services, tile floor cleaning, stone floor maintenance. This might even extend to water damage restoration, window cleaning, air duct cleaning, carpet repair and further.

A carpet cleaner needs to think seriously about diversifying into all the areas his customers want serviced. But if you are thinking of services that are clearly outside of cleaning - painting, pest control, dry wall installation, roofing, auto repair or whatever. I think this should be done under a different business name with different cards, different advertising and different phone number. How would you answer one phone - "Its a great day at Scott's carpet cleaning, roofing, auto repair and day surgery. How may i help you?"

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Over the last few years, it has become more of an economic necessity to diversify. The last thing a cleaner would want is one of his regular customers calling the competition because he could not provide a service they wanted.
Hey Scott,
Welcome home! Good to have you back and by the way, you are way behind on your ghost writing Clean Talk assignments for www.SFS.JonDon.com

I think what Scott and I both are saying is diversifying can be good IF it is "synergistic"- one service supports the other. As Scott put it: "upholstery cleaning, providing protector, deodorization services, tile floor cleaning, stone floor maintenance. This might even extend to water damage restoration, window cleaning, air duct cleaning, carpet repair and further."

Now if you go further afield- for example, a carpet cleaner opening a taco stand or bait shop I might patronize you but I'm going to fear for your future!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Even on synergistic diversifications you need to have your act together- I call it a Business Infrastructure created out of written systems and procedures.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
www.mountainviewcarpetcare.com
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
I don't mean a handyman. Mostly I mean related to cleaning. Here is what I tell my customers,"if you stand on or sit on it I can clean it". I like to think of myself as an all surfaces cleaner.

Now with pest control,I have two separate business names and websites. The reason I like pest control is for property managers. And let's face it a lot of cleaners through out the years have used Microban to kill fleas thought they call it a "deodoriser". Thing is for move outs they need two separate receipts for pest and cleaning. And unless you have 2 companies and are registered with the EPA and State of Agriculture you cannot provide proper documentation. ;)

LOL i had no idea microban killed fleas

learn something new every day on here :)

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Personally, unless you get into hiring a lot of employees and have a closet full of headache remedies, branching out into too many areas will spread you so thin you cannot possibly be a master of anything.

There is only one of you to go around if you are sole operator, and if you are exceptiionally good at your core services, you wouldn't need, or want any additional work. That's just how it's worked out for me, and as a result I've dropped a few services that were not as profitable.

For example, window cleaning. It can be somewhat profitable if you are set up for doing mainly window cleaning, you invest in a squeegee, some ladders and buckets and away you go! But making payments on a $30,000 truckmount while you spend half a day doing windows for a house just doesnt make sense, or money.

tobeyo

Jan 12, 2010
ohio
Real Name
tobey overholtz
Business Location
United States
If Jack makes 6 digits carpet cleaning and Jack also makes 6 digits doing lawn care who in the world cares if he's a master........

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I have two business cards Award, Auto Wash And Renew Detail and Award Carpet Care. I answer the phone, thank you for calling award this is John. I was given advice last year from a successful business man. He said when you get back to florida your going to tell all of your car wash customers you clean carpets, I was doubtful but I have already cc for four car wash customers homes or businesses. The successful business man said it is called crossing over. I have found there is nothing wrong with it as long as they trust you and your work. These car wash customers I've had for a couple years. I don't know how a customer that hasen't known you for that long will see it.

njhusker71

Sep 28, 2008
Fremont, Nebraska
Real Name
Jim Bennett
Richard that is my exact point. perfectly said!! and tobeyo also validated another point. who cares how good you are, as long as your making money, right??? wow! ...i need to have my truck repaired, think i'll have my TV repair man fix it. he's got a gnarly set of tools.

racebum

Jul 14, 2010
Oregon
www.mountainviewcarpetcare.com
Real Name
kyle
Business Location
United States
Richard that is my exact point. perfectly said!! and tobeyo also validated another point. who cares how good you are, as long as your making money, right??? wow! ...i need to have my truck repaired, think i'll have my TV repair man fix it. he's got a gnarly set of tools.
if you're TV guy had a few of his ASE's would it seem so funny? i think that's where a few of us are, we're actually skilled in multiple places and looking to profit from it

njhusker71

Sep 28, 2008
Fremont, Nebraska
Real Name
Jim Bennett
yes it would, b/c i still wouldnt ask my TV repair man to fix my car just b/c he does it on the side. i would take it to a mechanic, and i wouldnt ask him to fix my TV either, lol..anyway if a TV repair man was ASE certified, i have a feeling he wouldnt be fixing TV's full time.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Think about the long term also, if you plan on adding employees someday it is a real pain crosstraining all these services. When they quit it hurts alot more

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
I think it's easier because you will have more work to keep the employee busier. For me car wash, Carpet cleaning, pool cleaning or pressure washing. we can learn that. Now if I need to learn to be a lawyer, doctor or a professor I couldn't do it. I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to wash cars, because it pisses me off to think I can be using that time to advertise for CC but the money is steady and gauranteed weekly. But when I start pool cleaning in a year or so I will let you know how it is going to have the two.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I think it's easier because you will have more work to keep the employee busier. For me car wash, Carpet cleaning, pool cleaning or pressure washing. we can learn that. Now if I need to learn to be a lawyer, doctor or a professor I couldn't do it. I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to wash cars, because it pisses me off to think I can be using that time to advertise for CC but the money is steady and gauranteed weekly. But when I start pool cleaning in a year or so I will let you know how it is going to have the two.
Thats because your thinking like a business man. My mom always tells me I need to start acting like a business man. I can't understand how she says this and at the same time counts on me to go out and clean large commercial jobs or clean carpets in plant, or clean homes all the time. I own a small internet company I started 7 years ago. Its difficult to go out on jobs when my internet company needs tending to. I often think whats going to happen down the road when I'm much older. Who is going to repair all my trucks, truckmounts, wands, pressure lines etc etc? If I'm going to be the business man. I save my dad a boat load on repair cost and parts. I cant imagine someone else repairing my equipment. The markup on auto parts alone are sometimes 100% with a mechanic. I just cant see myself submitting to that. Things constantly break down when you have lots of equipment. Its a double edge sword. In one hand you have the business to tend to and in the other you have the actual work AND repairs that needs to be done properly. All of this together, when you have tremendous overhead, is extremely difficult.
And what about all the custom work we do? My dad makes rugs for people nobody except me knows how to do. Some of the things we do you cant train people to do. All those facets' together seems insurmountable.

HappyCleaner

Nov 13, 2010
Real Name
Jamie Pike
Business Location
United States
"A carpet cleaner opening a taco stand or bait shop I might patronize you but I'm going to fear for your future!"

LOL… I have a side company called Pirate Ice we sell Real fruit Italian Ice at festivals. Every big event in town we do we making $$$ and hand out coupons for the cleaning. We also do Promo runs with local radio stations giving out Italian Ice and coupons and they give us free air time. We also use it at real estate offices to make friends with the agents.

I’m just saying

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
The problem is perfect workers do not show up at the door and as funny as it sounds i have found very few employees good at every service. some people are bulls and some are very detailed, just warning ya it can become a real pain because you have to become involved alot.