Becoming an “essential business” with the CoronaVirus | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Becoming an “essential business” with the CoronaVirus

Joey33

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Joe oayette
Hey guys,

As of right now my state is not in a full lockdown, but I expect it to happen any day now. Are there any tips you guys have, or have any of you been able to become labeled as an essential business?

We have been able to scrap up work pretty much on the go. Next week and the rest of our schedule is scary quiet. Have any of you guys had any success with staying busy in these dark times?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
According to DHS, under the heading of Public Works, the following are considered "essential businesses":

"Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences"

However, DHS has also made it clear that this is for guidance only, and each state (and in some cases each city) has the right to define its own standards. So check local offices for that info first. Only fall back on the DHS list as a stopgap while you're researching.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Each state is different but from what I have seen Mama is (again) correct.

Wisconsin just locked down today but places like boat and bicycle sales and service can stay open.

EH?

At some point it becomes not IF you can go out to clean but is it SAFE to go out to clean. Not many cases in our area yet so out cleaning we will go......for now

Reactions: randyg6224

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Liquor stores are considered essential in my state....At first I was like Huh? But with most people sitting home with kids we gonna need some booze.....
That and what happens to all the normal functioning alcoholics if they can not get a drink....
Folks would first break into and loot the stores. When those were empty...they would go after the politician that ordered the doors locked. It would not happen at first but after a few days..........look out

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Jo Ann Fabrics has deemed themselves an essential business here in Columbus Ohio and are staying open during the stay at home order.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Liquor stores are considered essential in my state....At first I was like Huh? But with most people sitting home with kids we gonna need some booze.....
State controls liguor here so they shutdown last sunday. People went nuts. But beer distributors are still open. Need some form of sanity.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
That and what happens to all the normal functioning alcoholics if they can not get a drink....
Folks would first break into and loot the stores. When those were empty...they would go after the politician that ordered the doors locked. It would not happen at first but after a few days..........look out
Lmfao wont take long. Its only been 1 week here.
20200325_001751.jpg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Jo Ann Fabrics has deemed themselves an essential business here in Columbus Ohio and are staying open during the stay at home order.
To me they're essential, lol. If I didn't have my cross-stitch to keep me sane at night, you guys would be dealing with an even WORSE Mama.
0322201641.jpg

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Hobby Lobby apparently has too. Seems the definition of essential is a little loose.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Hobby Lobby apparently has too. Seems the definition of essential is a little loose.
If you're quarantined at home for a month or more, it helps to have crafty bits and other stuff to work on that does not require internet access or TV. Thanks to my insane number of 2D and 3D arts and crafts projects, and my good big windows full of natural light in the living room, I'd be okay to keep myself occupied for weeks even if we had no electricity.

Reactions: Spazznout

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
These people are dumb............(talking about politicians)
They jumped the gun and put almost no thought into what they were doing. They caused more confusion and unnecessary panic then anything.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Primary source of transfer is Fecal Oral transfer, (poop to mouth) occurring most frequently from surface contact and cross contamination. Much like Hepatitis,

Several new studies out this week as well as observations of where this virus spread most easily confirm as well.

Reactions: sbsscn

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
If you have a problem keeping poop out of your mouth you deserve to die
except you don't know because you opened that door at the bank. They guy that touche it last took a dump, was gonna miss the bank closing and ran out the door and did not wash his hand.

Please look up Fecal Oral transfer.
Its NOT funny.

It is a very real problem.

We ALL come into fecal matter that is NOT our own every day everywhere.

Dave Weidlich

Nov 19, 2013
Petaluma, CA
www.advanceddry.com
Real Name
Dave Weidlich
Business Location
United States
For Sonoma County, CA, some carpet & floor cleaning work could be considered "essential" as we provide sanitation for residences and other businesses that are considered essential. As I read it, someone could drop off rugs at my home and I can work at home to clean them. If I have a separate facility for cleaning rugs, it's less clear that I can do that.

For the purposes of this Order, “Essential Businesses” means...​

...Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses...​

The California order to Shelter in Place is similar.
I think what most businesses are doing here is staying open if they want to risk it, until someone comes and tells them to shut down.