Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
Nashville TN
evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
After all the hustle and bustle to get in front of customers, it's hard to believe so many carpet cleaners aren't letting their customers know whether they have stapled or continues filament carpet fibers. It's as simple as bending down and rubbing the carpet for a few seconds to show your customer why you're not going to take the blame for cleaning stapled polyester carpet. Sure, stapled polyester carpet can clean up nice, but it has a high rate of complaint and knowing how to educate your customer on fiber make is a win-win for you.

You've heard it before, "can you make the carpet fibers stand up?" The reason the customer's carpet is laying flat is most likely because it is 1) stapled carpet and 2) polyester, but stapled nylon can mat early also. Like wool, stapled fibers are small shards of fibers wound into a yarn, which becomes the cut pile carpet. Stapled carpet slowly but surely loses those tiny shards over time as it wears. This gradual loss of fiber creates matted traffic lanes that cannot be cleaned back to new.

Deciphering whether or not your customer has stapled or continues filament fibers greatly reduces customer complaints while actually increases word-of-mouth advertising because you're now the expert in their eyes - even if they have stapled carpet! At EverClean, we call it "taking the knee," where our tech's bend down, rub the carpet with their thumb for about 10 seconds, then pinch the area to see if any carpet shards come up. If so, they explain to the customer why the carpet is matting or may mat in the future. They then proceed to educate the customer on the differences between stapled and continues filament fibers, which the customer appreciates because now they know what to look for.

When you get a five star review you can likely thank continues filament fibers for contributing to your success. Ok, maybe that's a stretch, but the fiber type truly does influence the customer's overall satisfaction, so much so that we wouldn't dare clean a carpet without letting the customer know what to expect first. Continues filament fibers are like each hair on our head, they're continues. Each carpet yarn is composed of hundreds of continues tiny strands wound together making premature wear obsolete. Continues filament fibers clean much better, wear much longer and win you much more praise through referrals and word-of-mouth. But if it's not continues, you and your techs should find a way to disclaim the all too common symptoms of stapled fibers, which includes matting and fiber loss.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
Nashville TN
evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
I have misspelled a word as Mr. Scott has pointed out. It is not continues filament as in a story continues, but continuous filament as in a long thread. You may also see it Bulk Continuous Filament (BCF) on carpet/rug backing, which is the same thing. Thanks for catching that Mr. Scott!

Reactions: Scott W

RAW Prespray

Preferred Vendor
Sep 29, 2011
Nashville TN
evercleantn.com
Real Name
Brandon B
Business Location
United States
I've found in some cases that over explaining to customers confuses them. They give me a dumb found look when I start to really break stuff down. Then I have to back up and explain in more simple terms.

Sent from my XT1254 using TMF Forums mobile app
Stapled carpet fibers have a high complaint rate, and you're lucky if the customer complains to you. I would try to find a way to explain the difference between the two.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Stapled carpet fibers have a high complaint rate, and you're lucky if the customer complains to you. I would try to find a way to explain the difference between the two.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know if I consider it lucky if a customer complains to me lol. I think in order for no complaints to happen, you have to set a standard for what your finished work will look like to a custy. I always tell them if they have a carpet prone to something, then this is what it will look like. Ha I'm guessing you meant doesn't complain though. Just messing around

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know if I consider it lucky if a customer complains to me lol. I think in order for no complaints to happen, you have to set a standard for what your finished work will look like to a custy. I always tell them if they have a carpet prone to something, then this is what it will look like. Ha I'm guessing you meant doesn't complain though. Just messing around

He's just saying it's better that they complain to you than the world

Reactions: BayouCitySteam

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ha yeah but hopefully they complain to the carpet manufacturers so maybe they find some new shiz for us to clean. Maybe instead of nylon or poly it's a new fiber like hemp or something.

Nylon carpet tiles. Carpet tile everything. Love them carpet tiles. I told my wife im installing them in our house lol. She wasnt happy. I said what they clean easy. And if you cant clean it. You just swap it with one under the couch. And back to watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Nylon carpet tiles. Carpet tile everything. Love them carpet tiles. I told my wife im installing them in our house lol. She wasnt happy. I said what they clean easy. And if you cant clean it. You just swap it with one under the couch. And back to watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Ha funny story, we did a job and they gave us prob 3000 square foot of carpet tiles. We did our whole basement in them. Durable as hell and we had dogs down their. If they got sick we would just pop and swap. Eventually we just took them up but not because of any reason other than just wanting a new look.

Reactions: keep it clean