bear claw vs power stretcher

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stephen Meyer

Dec 16, 2011
WI
Real Name
Stephen Meyer
Business Location
United States
You need both, most of the time you wont need the power stretcher but there will be times you need to do things that the bear claw cant do.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I would get the power stretcher my guys were always tearing tack strip out of the floor with the bear claw. By the time you reinforce the tack strip to handle the pressure the bear claw puts on the tack strip you could have already been done with it and on to the next job with a power stretcher. JMO :)

Jul 5, 2011
A, A
Real Name
Shane Benton
Business Location
United States
I've never heard of the Bear Claw:(

But I have used the Power, and I stick with what works.

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
thanx for the input im going power stretcher the.pulling up tack strip was my concern and getting in tight places. i dont unerstand why i would buy both 2 600$ tools to do the same thing

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I've seen a different version of the Behr Claw. A lot less $. It is an older version I think by one of the big carpet tool people. Gundlach, Roberts etc. Can't remember which it was. Worked the same way.
I would think Behr just reworked it.

Jun 16, 2011
Missouri
Real Name
Steve Steinhauer
Business Location
United States
thanx for the input im going power stretcher the.pulling up tack strip was my concern and getting in tight places. i dont unerstand why i would buy both 2 600$ tools to do the same thing
If I only had money for one or the other it would be the stretcher with poles and a SPIKE. Many guys try to use the bear claw on concrete with no sucess. It puts to much pressure on the strip and pulls it out of the concrete. Bear claw. FAIL.

Feb 14, 2012
CA
Real Name
Ross
Business Location
United States
My dad has a bear skin rug that his dad gave to him. I wonder could I cut the front claws off and use real bear claws to stretch carpet. Has anyone done this?

rstrick

Mar 30, 2011
NC
www.allprocarpetcareandrestorationnc.com
Real Name
ryan Strickland
Business Location
United States
Right choice! But you can buy just the claws! Omg never us the spike! That thing will rip a hole in the carpet! I saw a installer do this while I was there to clean. He told the client there was a defect in the carpet. Put them behind over an hour while one of the went to purchase more carpet, while the others sat around and had a few smokes. They were 15 minutes from being finished. Short cuts kill production!