Bad time of year to start carpet cleaning business?

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Blue, Sep 11, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Blue

Blue New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!

I do domestic cleaning and handyman work. I'm very interested in setting up a carpet cleaning business. However, I've heard it get's fairly quiet this time of year business wise?

I'm only asking as I have yet to purchase equipment. Wondering whether to leave it a few months until springtime.

Or does it merely slow down a little, not enough to effect the bottom line?

I'm in UK.

Thanks so much.

2. Kevin Dumas

Kevin Dumas Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Carpet Cleaner
    Binghamton, NY
    Ratings:
    +1,387 / 5 / -0
    Not sure about the UK but we are entering peak season here that lasts right up till Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,239 / 11 / -1
    Seasonal variations depend upon the weather. Usually busy right up through the holidays. Then locations with cold weather slow down a lot (maybe 50%) until the weather warms back up in the spring.

For a new company in the field, starting during a slow time may not be a bad idea. This gives you a chance to get your feet wet and get accustomed to the work and customer interaction before you get really busy.

Some finance and leasing companies will give you plans with no payment during 3 slow months. Aztec and Interlink Financial both offer that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,104 / 85 / -0
    Start anytime and grow it till you quit your other job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,384 / 10 / -0
    Totally agree with Scott W.
    This will give you plenty of time to investigate what chems and equipment to invest in and also to work a little with them . You won't need much and since you already have a business, some leads for customers . If you've never cleaned before and want to learn
    ....... TMF is a GREAT PLACE !! Lots of information in the search and there's online education available also from Robb Alan . Like to " read " , you can visit the JON Don web site and the IICRC manual for Carpet Cleaning and also Upholstery Technician is in the
    " education " section . Welcome to the forum !!
    All the Best, Ed

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,239 / 11 / -1
    You want to twist the knife a little more, Ed? Agree with me and then recommend he go to Jon-Don's website? :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,490 / 0 / -0
    Ed, Ed, Ed, shame on you, dear. Here we have such a valuable source of info in Scott, and you mention Jo-*cough*...

Jo-*sputter*...

... the Jo-*hack-hack-hack*

Darnit, I can't even get it out!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1