Bad adjuster | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Bad adjuster

nogo1024

Jul 17, 2019
Real Name
Ian Choi
Hi there,

I'm an estimator of water and fire damage restoration. I've been working for about 5 years in this field and have done 2~30 jobs from very small job ($2~3000) to large commercial job ($600k). I've been having good relationship with adjusters and a new adjuster is very rude and bossy to us. For example, when he asks us to provide some documents, he says "if you don't provide the documents in 3 days, blahblah" and we sent an invoice for the mitigation and he revised the invoice with a half price and says this is my comparative.

Is there somebody in his insurance company who i can make a complain about his behavior? Please let me know! Thanks.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
sorry man thats part of the business ....
i used to do water damage......

happened to me all the time......

might just send a bill for the estimate and move on....
or just make it up on your next job........

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Have the homeowner call the agent and freak out about the invoice she has to pay because her adjuster will not pay the bill. They want her to renew and be happy. If she isn't happy, then she may not renew.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Is there somebody in his insurance company who i can make a complain about his behavior?
if your open to a suggestion, let me tell you a story. There is a Restoration company I know that did 60 percent of their business with one insurance company. Something happened with the adjuster they were used to dealing with that concerned the Restoration company owner so he took it to the adjusters supervisor. A week later his company was completely dropped from doing business with the insurance company.

Theres a couple things that you can learn from this.

#1. going over the adjusters head is not a smart thing to do.
#2. working with adjusters is all about building relationships. So rather than complaining about his behavior, try to find out why he behaves this way. Try to get to know him personally. It may take a month, it may take a year and it may never happen, but trust me if you can figure it out you will get all his work. The best restoration companies have marketing people that know how people tick. Its actually more about that than anything else.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
On this job is your contract with the company or the homeowner? What state? If it's with the homeowner
1. tell them they need pay for work rendered.
2. Place a contractor's lien against there home.
3. The insurance company has no contract with you. You are not there customer. It's nice for them to be nice but not a necessity. I often have desk and outside adjusters try to pay me less. Hasn't happened yet. Once they even had a attorney call me. That didn't work either.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Hi there,

I'm an estimator of water and fire damage restoration. I've been working for about 5 years in this field and have done 2~30 jobs from very small job ($2~3000) to large commercial job ($600k). I've been having good relationship with adjusters and a new adjuster is very rude and bossy to us. For example, when he asks us to provide some documents, he says "if you don't provide the documents in 3 days, blahblah" and we sent an invoice for the mitigation and he revised the invoice with a half price and says this is my comparative.

Is there somebody in his insurance company who i can make a complain about his behavior? Please let me know! Thanks.
An adjuster is NOT typically a lawyer. Their job is to interpret and classify what is covered by the insurance - not what is owed for services rendered.

With that in mind, an adjuster with a chip on his shoulder can make a claim downright miserable for both parties.

But why does he have that chip? Is he being pressured by the insurance company to make a certain percentage of cuts to claims? Is his salary based on how much money he can "save" the insurance company? Or is he just poorly trained?

While all of this may not necessarily be your problem, it can certainly help you get an understanding of why you're getting so much pushback.

At the end of the day, however, you don't work for the adjuster. Nor do you work for the insurance company. YOU WORK FOR WHOEVER SIGNED THE WORK AUTHORIZATION FORM.

If the customer has requested a service, and you have performed that service to the best of your abilities under the guidance of published industry standards, then the insurance company has no legal grounds to dictate a reduction of your invoice. How hard you choose to fight them on it is, of course, your choice.

Reporting this guy for his behavior probably won't do anything but earn you the enmity of both the adjuster and his company. It would be enough to keep a document trail of everything that has happened, with your own polite responses to his demands, and let your professional behavior speak for itself.

Restoration companies in our area know which insurance companies have "good" adjusters and which ones are tough to work with. The topic of how to deal with invoice reductions is one that comes up on a daily basis. Our guys have online groups and actual "beer-and-wings" meetings where they exchange war stories and information, and this network allows them to discuss tactics they have used in the past to deal with adjusters who get combative over invoicing.

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
This is the type of situation that is so well covered by the Restoration Strategies programs. Peter Crosa is a property adjuster with 30+ years experience. He discusses why adjusters act the way they do and how to learn to work with different personality types. I love the part of the class where students listen in on phone calls from Peter (posing as a restoration company rep) calling and dealing with adjusters, agents and their gate-keepers.

That class is only held a 2 or 3 times per year. Most have to travel to attend, but it is pure gold for restorers that attend and apply.

The next class is in Orlando Nov 15th.

Reactions: Mama Fen

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
I deal with the adjuster just long enough to get him to say yes this project is a go, but the xactimate report is done before he gets there. Then my argument is with the DESK adjuster not the field adjuster and as long as you have IRC 2015 code to back you and can prove everything you put in to xactimate, they will give it.