Auto pump out not working | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Auto pump out not working

Discussion in 'Hydramaster' started by john mundy, Oct 11, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys I have a 2011 boxxer 323 with a dura-flow APO that is not functioning properly. I've already replaced the impeller thinking that was the problem (the old one did look chewed up) but it did not solve it.

There is no obstruction in the hose/bottom of the waste tank and when I hit the APO switch nothing happens so I'm thinking it is something electrical.

Attached Files:

2. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Male
    carpet cleaner/restoration
    midwest
    Ratings:
    +1,448 / 2 / -0
    Dumb question but I always go for the simple solutions 1st...Is the water level in the tank high enough to raise the float? If it is try bypassing the float to see if it' bad.

3. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,607 / 0 / -0
    Echoing SRD, we see a lot more problems with float sensors and such than we do with the actual pumps themselves - and if there's a problem with the pump it's usually pretty obvious from the word go.

4. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #4 john mundy, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Yes I just filled up my waste tank to both floats and there is still no activation of the APO, How would I go about bypassing the float?

5. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Male
    midwest
    Ratings:
    +1,448 / 2 / -0
    Someone else may chime in here but you should be able to unplug the float switch and run a jumper wire across the machine side of the plug to close the circuit. If the float is bad soon as you jump it and close the circuit your pump should kick on

6. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I will def try that...what size wire would you recommend using, or should I just buy a jumper wire.

7. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,694 / 58 / -0
    10 or 12 gauge automotive wire will work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    Hydramaster changed the way they wired the APO's a couple times. They like to run it through a relay. So if that is the case when the float comes up it either would provide a ground or 12V (depending on how it was wired) this would close the relay and apply power to the pump motor.

They also used to just run ground directly to the motor and then run 12v through the switch. You will really need to look at a wiring diagram.

The easiest way to see if the pump motor is bad is to just unhook it and apply 12v & gnd directly to the motor wires. if it is good it will turn. takes the float switch and dash switch out of the loop.

There should also be an inline fuse near the motor, check that. They pop ALL the time

9. ccclean

ccclean Active Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +84 / 1 / -0
    My APO on my Boxxer was very finicky, most of the time the float was just getting stuck down or sometimes up, try to clean up the float hinge before you go to far playing with wires.

10. Suction Junkie

Suction Junkie Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    ownwer operator
    Chicago Illinois
    Ratings:
    +564 / 2 / -0
    I'm just curious, but has any one ever made an apo that has a wireless remote control? Like you just press a button from inside the job and the tank just dumps until you press it again?

11. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    range would be an issue

12. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to say thank you for the replies, I will troubleshooting with these suggestions tomorrow as I was away all weekend visiting my little sisters college (Penn State)...will give an update tomorrow!

13. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It was the 25A fuse! At first I pulled it out and thought it looked fine but when i took a closer look i could see the metal in the center was gapped. To think that this has been broke for the past month all because of a simple fuse :poop::vomit:.

14. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Male
    midwest
    Ratings:
    +1,448 / 2 / -0
    Pavlovs' theory brother the simplest solution is usually the correct one, if it makes you feel any better I was once broke down for over 3 hours until I found my 5 gallon detergent bucket sitting in my fuel line lol

15. john mundy

john mundy Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Words of wisdom to live by, I actually have an appointment w/ my distributor tomorrow (this was 1 out of 2 issues I wanted fixed) but think I may post my other problem and see what I can do with any advice I get before I run up there.

16. bill

bill Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Cleaning & Restoration
    Southern California
    Ratings:
    +904 / 3 / -0
    Bad float switch I bet