Area Rug Padding

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I picked up a 14'x11' area rug today and also its padding to be cleaned (some dog urine). I've never cleaned padding before (NOOB) but is there anything of particular concern to be careful with? A rubber backing and padding itself with the appearance of a compressed felt, maybe 1/4" thick? HWE is my main and about my only tool.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Apply white distilled vinegar to the pad on your driveway or deck, you can use a tarp under it if needed. Let it dwell, rinse with the garden hose, quickly extract, rinse with the hose again, extract and dry. Many stable Oriental rugs with urine get similar treatment if they prove out to be stable.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Apply white distilled vinegar to the pad on your driveway or deck, you can use a tarp under it if needed. Let it dwell, rinse with the garden hose, quickly extract, rinse with the hose again, extract and dry. Many stable Oriental rugs with urine get similar treatment if they prove out to be stable.
Thank you Jim! Should the rubber backing prevent shrinking or would the "felt" material even be susceptible to it? The owner cut two rectangles in the padding and carpet for access to floor electrical outlets and am hoping this will all line up properly upon delivery. The rug I haven't even unrolled yet in hopes of finding a label revealing its composition.

Thank you again.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Those rug pads are pretty stable, you should be fine. I've never had one shrink or noticed that it did. Sometimes the rug does slightly though, but that's normal with some rugs. Make sure you do your due diligence with the rug.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Thanks for that advice! This stuff keeps me awake at night. I got into this line of work on the simplistic advice of someone who has been at it for decades. He gave me one pre-spray solution and said to use it on anything and everything. Its pH level? 12.78.:eek: I have had to do a lot of unlearning since then.

I'm certain I'll be posting images of the rug before I get to cleaning it. It looks like a natural fiber blend with a very coarse built-up weave. I'm guessing my description needs improvement which hopefully someone can provide along with proper precautions.

Thanks again Jim.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I have never messed with urine contaminated pad with the low wholesale price of new pad.
Get yourself setup with a wholesaler for new pad. Concentrate on saving the rug and put it back over new pad.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I have never messed with urine contaminated pad with the low wholesale price of new pad.
Get yourself setup with a wholesaler for new pad. Concentrate on saving the rug and put it back over new pad.
That seems like great advice, Kevin. I may try to clean the padding in question in this case (or not) but will look to see what my local options are for padding.

Thanks Kevin!

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thats a good idea. At least you can give the customer the option.
A. We can try and save the pad for x amount of dollars. no promises.
B. New pad costs this___much.
What would you like to do?
And then like Kevin said you can focus your effort on the rug itself.
I know the pad. That size price would be around 200.00. If you shop around can find it for 150.00 plus shipping. Thats the good one. Doesn’t deteriorate and glue itself to the floor like other rubber pads (honeycomb lookin one). Its a rubber foam backing. If anything it will turn to dust in time. It is very dense and holds up for years.
I would probably try and wand it. But Jims idea i like. Just flood it with hose on a slopped patio or driveway. Just park yourself on a lawn chair and hose it down till water runs clear. If any damage does occur. It will be where urine was heaviest.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Most rug shops here sell padding instead cleaning. Makes sense to me

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Thats a good idea. At least you can give the customer the option.
A. We can try and save the pad for x amount of dollars. no promises.
B. New pad costs this___much.
What would you like to do?
And then like Kevin said you can focus your effort on the rug itself.
I know the pad. That size price would be around 200.00. If you shop around can find it for 150.00 plus shipping. Thats the good one. Doesn’t deteriorate and glue itself to the floor like other rubber pads (honeycomb lookin one). Its a rubber foam backing. If anything it will turn to dust in time. It is very dense and holds up for years.
I would probably try and wand it. But Jims idea i like. Just flood it with hose on a slopped patio or driveway. Just park yourself on a lawn chair and hose it down till water runs clear. If any damage does occur. It will be where urine was heaviest.
Great reply, thanks! I'm going to try the cleaning since I never mentioned the option of replacement and hope for the best in this case. Thanks for the encouragement!

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Thanks Rob! I'll definitely be keeping that option in mind. I rolled up the rug and saw the padding stained and they asked if I could clean that also. I told them I could try but my reply next time might be completely different. Many thanks for the help.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks Rob! I'll definitely be keeping that option in mind. I rolled up the rug and saw the padding stained and they asked if I could clean that also. I told them I could try but my reply next time might be completely different. Many thanks for the help.
No problem.

Here’s a little trick we do at my shop. We vacuum both sides and then spray a mixture of Peroxide and anti-microbial on them. Then we hang dry. Works for us.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
No problem.

Here’s a little trick we do at my shop. We vacuum both sides and then spray a mixture of Peroxide and anti-microbial on them. Then we hang dry. Works for us.
Thanks again Rob! Can I ask how heavy a spray (saturation?), and with the rubber backing will it remove the obvious stain outlines? We're in heavy humidity and rain in the forecast for the rest of the week, not the best airing out weather. Oh well!

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I picked up a 14'x11' area rug today and also its padding to be cleaned (some dog urine). I've never cleaned padding before (NOOB) but is there anything of particular concern to be careful with? A rubber backing and padding itself with the appearance of a compressed felt, maybe 1/4" thick? HWE is my main and about my only tool.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.
my advice would be to tell the customer the pad should be tossed and replaced. that pad is just a duolock rubber back felt pad and not worth trying to clean.