Are truckmounts over engineered these days?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Seems many complain about the difficulty to work on their units especially newer models. What do you think a truck now it’s over engineered?

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
some of the new units are pretty sweet but idk if I could ever switch from a simple one like a judson or reliabuilt

The Judson is super thick stainless tank/frame with a heavy duty automotive coating on it, so its pretty much a lifetime purchase...

at some point ill swap the 45 roots for a 47 and the Kohler for a larger Briggs but there will never be a day that unit ends up going to the landfill

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Even the mechanics at Jon Don with 20+ years experience have trouble with these things...I'd say yes it's over-engineered. The damn thing just needs to make vacuum, create pressure and provide heat. What do all these sensors and computers really effing do?

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
They are insanely over-engineered!!!!!
There is simply no reason to make them in the way they do!
What people fail to understand is that when you go to school for design and engineering you are trained that you are the best in that you can make it better. Never is it brought to your attention that it can be left alone because it's just fine. They puff you up and make you feel incredible they make you feel like you are the smartest person on the planet and that you can do no wrong. This is something I have to constantly fight just because you can redesign does not mean that it is a requirement and or it will be beneficial for others.

I'm in perfect and I'm constantly working on what was beat into me

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
What's funny is it didn't stop me from buying a new Apex 570.

I'll let it ride until the Warranty expires and then I probably will re-engineer the damn thing.

Reactions: Art Kelley

The Magician

Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
Jimmy Nardella
Never had any problems with my Hydramasters. Read the threads with the porty guys.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Over engineered is different than over complicated. A real engineer makes things functional yet simple. A poor engineer complicates things unnecessarily. Look at modern cars. Many of them have a stupid amount of tech and features that we dont need. But these days alot of that tech will function for many, many thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Reactions: Art Kelley

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Are you using the PTO 4.8 Hydramaster or a Slide in model

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I have the 4.8 CDS w/salsa. So far i have not had any problems. A few hiccups with RPMs dropping next to zero but I turn off machine and then turn van off for a few minutes and its back to normal. I don't know for sure but maybe by turning van off the computer gets reset. I have a chem-tex that I started out with which is a simple machine that I was able to make all repairs on and had been pretty lucky with it.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
well heres the thing folks. Its all YOUR fault. YOU asked for more heat. YOU asked for more this, YOU asked for more that. So all they did was try to please everyone.

Its kinda like asking Rob, why do you keep making more presprays? Its because YOU asked for it.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
well heres the thing folks. Its all YOUR fault. YOU asked for more heat. YOU asked for more this, YOU asked for more that. So all they did was try to please everyone.

Its kinda like asking Rob, why do you keep making more presprays? Its because YOU asked for it.
You know that's a great point if you asked for it to be lighter weight they would make them out of aluminum then they would stress crack and people throw a fit that their stress cracking. Another thing is an engineer job is to cut cost to make the budget they were given to complete the task and save the company money

believe me you're not praised for making something better your praised for saving cost

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
but the machine I loved the most was the early Prochem Performer. Just a Nissan motor, blower, heat exchanger and water pump - one that you could hook up to a water tank and it would self feed. Cant remember the model number though. Simple, simple, simple

Reactions: wandwizard

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Well I'm getting the Apex 570 installed in two weeks so we will see how well this 3 cylinder water cooled kubota engine, tube fin HX, cerakote machine does...

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
AN EASY WAY to find out if a TM is easy to work on and not overly engineered is this!!!

1. Who changes their own belts???
2. How long does it take????
3. what brand of TM do you use????

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
you have 2 categories of manufacturers:
1. local or garage builds
2. BIG NAME - nation wide, hydra, prochem saphire....
I prefer to stick with the name brands for one simple reason - resale. Try to sell a garage build after 5 or 10 years.

now if your going to keep it until it dies, then thats another story.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
NAME BRANDS are better resale...
accept for the outdating of prochem this past year......

but have to rely on distributer to work on them......

its all a tradeoff...
1. BIG NAME BRANDS - cost more, cant work on them yourself.....
2. GARAGE BUILD - great while it is still supported by the builder....but when he leaves they are orphaned.....

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I know that there's a truck mount manufacturer that is striving to make the simplest And most reliable truck mount out there.
It's nothing fancy but it's quite simple in would be easy true repair

I know if I was to get a gas truck it's the correction I would go. Unfortunately I need versatility up north we're freezes and I have a lot of locked doors account. Gas work for my company for years but it's just gotten to convoluted.

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
I saw a 35HP/56 Blower steam action truckmount at Duane Oxley's shop in Atl yesterday...installed in a regular chevy van...thing was a beast...you could access all the components with ease...built like a tank...3HXs simple water flow design with minimal electrical components other than temp sensors for heat control...no computer. Dude payed 26K.

3fcc456182c0048c4177cd28a28a18b4.jpg

Reactions: The Cleaning Artist

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Even the mechanics at Jon Don with 20+ years experience have trouble with these things...I'd say yes it's over-engineered. The damn thing just needs to make vacuum, create pressure and provide heat. What do all these sensors and computers really effing do?
I'd bet that a lot of sensors they put on they have to do for safety reasons either forced by the government or to protect themselves legally..either from damage to the machine or injury to the user...if something is my fault I'm the type to not blame anyone else... however in my short life experience I've seen that most people always want someone to blame and sue even if it was there own fault...

In this case yes I do think most machines are over complicated because like u said the machine itself is simple ...but if simple machines hurt the wrong person their lawyers no doubt will try to setup their simple machine as "unsafe", "negligent" etc...

Just my view

Reactions: Select