Are all CRBs created equal?

LoneStarCarpet

Mar 24, 2018
Real Name
Dave Miller
I've been noticing a wide variation on pricing for new CRBs on the market for the same sized machine.

For example, I've seen 17" models from $1997 to +$3300. Is the pricier model that much better? Does one scrub the carpet that much more? I can see a $100-200 variation one way or another, but more than $1000? Perhaps there's a head to head competition that I missed along the way that makes one better. I don't know.

It was like that for the 10", 15" and 20" models that I saw too.

Thanks.

Reactions: caycesch

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The outside may look the same but the inside can be different. The more expensive models include:
  • More powerful motor. Won't wear out as fast. It can turn the brushes even in deep pile.
  • Over all more durability
  • Brush Pro has electrical area sealed. It can be used in wet situations such as scrubbing area rugs in a pit with an inch or two of water. The other models are not rated for this use. The sealing also reduces corrosion and other damage from moisture.
  • Better warranty and service.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Chinese have plastic gears the Austrian one seem to be the best and have belts or better gears

Actually all models & makes have nylon gears. I do like the belt driven as easier to service.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If they all have nylon gears, I can attest to the fact the Chinese gears strip very easily. The Austrians hold out much better.

First entry models a decade ago, yes. Latest versions in last coupe years, no. Many 1000’s sold and only few gears stripped. Might even be less than Austrian now. Probably why they are so mad as of late. They are losing market share fast.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
At some point a c rb ceases to be effective and you have to get out a 175......
Crb for homes and some rentals
175 for all commercial
175 for trashed rentals
I don't even carry a 175 on the truck
2018-04-03 09.19.23.jpg
2018-04-03 13.31.36.jpg
anymore. My eco 13 and my crb can do anything that my 175 can do and do it faster and better (outside of a shampoo brush, I haven't tried that yet) It's lighter it goes up and down steps way easier. It's not even close to be honest.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I can tell you from a repair point of view, PRICE MATTERS.

The least expensive machines tend to also be the ones that suffer more catastrophic failures and come in more frequently for minor repairs. Stripped gears and bad microswitches seem to be the most common issues.

I've seen a BrushPro dropped out of the back of a moving pickup truck on Highway 85 that survived the fall with minimal "injury".

When you factor in down time, customer inconvenience, and parts and labor on a cheaper machine that may break down more frequently, the savings isn't quite what you'd expect.

Reactions: Scott W

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I can tell you from a repair point of view, PRICE MATTERS.

The least expensive machines tend to also be the ones that suffer more catastrophic failures and come in more frequently for minor repairs. Stripped gears and bad microswitches seem to be the most common issues.

I've seen a BrushPro dropped out of the back of a moving pickup truck on Highway 85 that survived the fall with minimal "injury".

When you factor in down time, customer inconvenience, and parts and labor on a cheaper machine that may break down more frequently, the savings isn't quite what you'd expect.
There is something new coming this summer that will be 100% durable. ;-)