Apex water pump oil change,

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 6, 2008
Erie,PA
Real Name
RonRieger
Several times over the past few years I would drive the 2 hours to my dealer to change oil and check unit.
This year rather busy, so I,m doing it myself.
So I called General Pump and they said I can just use 30W non detergent oil, and that the pump holds 40 ounces.

Questions;
I took the plug out and it coming out rather slow, is that normal?
The oil is red in color, I am not sure yet what the Shell W30 is, does that matter?
When checking the dip stick where should the oil line be, at the notch on the stick?

Thanks

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If you're draining it cold it is normal for it to be slow, especially in cooler weather. You could have run the machine a few minutes to warm it up a bit, but as long as you drain it out it really doesn't matter. I always buy either the oil recommended by the pump manufacturer or the machine's manufacturer. I honestly can't say whether or not it's any better than a plain old 30 weight non-detergent, but since I'm not changing it that often anyway I always opt for "the good stuff'. I'm pretty sure a lot of guys will just buy the regular 30W non-detergent. As far as filling it you should have it pretty much dead center of the sight glass on the pump. It's almost dummy proof. :) A little over won't hurt, but I always shoot for dead center. That must be a HUGE pump if it takes 40 ounces! I think my Comet takes only 12 oz.

You might want to double check this, but I checked to see if General had their own oil and as I suspected they do. If that were my pump I'd go ahead and buy the 2 1/2 gallon jug for 56.00. Just make certain it's suitable for your pump. That will give you a good supply that should last you a good while. It is a 30 W non-detergent. Call either General or Dultmeier to confirm.
https://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.901.1494/1535#

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
yah, but on the Apex you cant see the sight guage so you have to rely on the dipstick

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Several times over the past few years I would drive the 2 hours to my dealer to change oil and check unit.
This year rather busy, so I,m doing it myself.
So I called General Pump and they said I can just use 30W non detergent oil, and that the pump holds 40 ounces.

Questions;
I took the plug out and it coming out rather slow, is that normal?
The oil is red in color, I am not sure yet what the Shell W30 is, does that matter?
When checking the dip stick where should the oil line be, at the notch on the stick?

Thanks
I hope we're on the same subject. I have General Triplex water pressure pump(1200 PSI) For about 7 years I have been using non detergent ISO 68 Cat pump oil ( Home depot- $ 8.99 compare to your dealer shop 100% higher price). It's greenish and yes the best time to change oil is after the job, so oil flows freely. Still, you have to be patient, it'll take time to drain.
I'm not sure about shell oil, hopefully someone will chime in...

Luky

Premium VIP
Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
General Pump Industrial Pump Oil - Series 100
General Pump Series 100 is a premium, non-detergent pump oil for enhanced performance. This lubricant has a naturally high viscosity for constant operation over wide temperature ranges. It is recommended for use in crankcases on systems requiring less than 25 BHP.

The use of this General Pumps Series 100 industrial oil ensures smooth pump operation and even helps to heighten its life span. It is packaged in a 16 oz. black plastic bottle with a resealable cap. The shape of the bottle makes it easy to hold and pour oil into your pressure washer pump.

Oil bottle is pictured on the right with the General Pump T 47 Series TSS1511 pump.

Features:

• Recommended for use in select General Pumps and gear reducers
  • Pressure washing accessory
  • 30 weight, non-detergent
  • 16 oz. / 1 pint / 475 ml. Also available in a 2.5 gallon siz
Keep digging to make sure you're safe...