Apartments

Total Cleaning Service

Sep 13, 2015
Real Name
Matthew Tyson
So this is an update to this particular thread in regards to cleaning apartment complexes. I sat down last night and looked over July's numbers in the month of July we did 93 jobs of those 93 jobs 47 were Apartments those 47 Apartments boil down to only 25% of our gross monthly Revenue but made up 50% of our number of jobs. When you take out the payroll for those 47 jobs the gas used and the cost of chemicals our actual net per hour on each of those jobs was less than $54 per hour that is completely unacceptable it is absolutely sad that it took me sitting down to do those numbers to see this so effective Monday I will be having a sit-down meeting with each of my apartment manager and Advising them that we have to raise our prices at least $35 per unit and that if they can't go with that we will drop them.

What's really really sad is when you take the apartments out of our gross numbers for the month and look at the other 46 jobs we did for the month of July our job average was $199 per job
Maybe you should focus on condos more then the apartments, they are willing to pay more. I have never done whole apartment complex but i get the apartment move outs and they just want whoever will do it cheaper so they can get there receipt to show it was done. Condo owners want things done the right way and willing to pay.

Reactions: JD5150

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
If only the tenants knew that unless there is unusual damage or tenant abuse...
In most states carpet cleaning is considered "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR"
"OR USING A RESIDENCE AS IT WAS INTENDED FOR"
no matter what is written in the lease.
I don't know what the law is here but the property owners do put it in the lease that it has to be cleaned. I've been doing them since 1996 this way. I have one owner that has me do half the hallway for $25.00 and put it in the price of the apartment. She says the tenant dirty it so they should have to pay to have it cleaned :LOL:. She is a cheap woman and don't want to pay for anything :LOL:. Takes about 5 to 8 minutes to do it. It is around a 10x5 area. All the apartments, town homes, rental houses customers I have are the owners, I don't have to mess around with property managers :).

Last edited:

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
Well as expected I make contact today with the two apartment managers that we have left I advise them that our fees are now going to go up $35 per apartment. They said that there's no way that they could afford that and we chose to go our separate ways believe it or not I am not upset one bit

$35 to clean each room/area in the apartment or $35 per entire apartment?

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
I've had both good and bad, so in my opinion it just depends on the management. If they are trying to make money on your cleaning work and upcharge the tenant, and also not pay for 30 to 45 days, screw them. I've always expect at least 50% up front and the rest up to 30 days later...max

After you go through a couple, it's easy to see bad apples, and there are plenty out there. Also, after you build a relationship with them, be sure to ask for referrals. If your work and pricing are on point, they'll walk you right into new deals.

Are these payment terms on your invoice?

awratchford

Jun 9, 2014
Oh I see so it was $65 before?

Do they often have you clean multiple apartments the same day?

What's your price per room and hall after the $100/1bdrm?
Yes, but the point is let's say you have 5 units same property. Unless it's in the same building you have 5 setup and breakdown times. For $65 a unit that's $325 or minimum charge of $100 that's $500. You really have to know your actual cost of doing business plus your cost of 30-45 day delay for getting partial payment

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
Yes, but the point is let's say you have 5 units same property. Unless it's in the same building you have 5 setup and breakdown times. For $65 a unit that's $325 or minimum charge of $100 that's $500. You really have to know your actual cost of doing business plus your cost of 30-45 day delay for getting partial payment

I see that is quite a lot more work in that case.

So you haven't had problems getting apartment jobs since raising your price?

I was thinking of charging $30 per area

rmoran

Jul 5, 2018
Real Name
Rafael Moran
So this is an update to this particular thread in regards to cleaning apartment complexes. I sat down last night and looked over July's numbers in the month of July we did 93 jobs of those 93 jobs 47 were Apartments those 47 Apartments boil down to only 25% of our gross monthly Revenue but made up 50% of our number of jobs. When you take out the payroll for those 47 jobs the gas used and the cost of chemicals our actual net per hour on each of those jobs was less than $54 per hour that is completely unacceptable it is absolutely sad that it took me sitting down to do those numbers to see this so effective Monday I will be having a sit-down meeting with each of my apartment manager and Advising them that we have to raise our prices at least $35 per unit and that if they can't go with that we will drop them.

What's really really sad is when you take the apartments out of our gross numbers for the month and look at the other 46 jobs we did for the month of July our job average was $199 per job
Hello there, like your post now when you say that you charge 35.00 that's for the whole unite even if a unite has three two or three bedrooms

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
Glad I stumbled onto this... I have a complex emails me for a few weeks, but it is Mid-America and I used to rent from a Mid-America place so I know they are crapiddy-crap-crap management to deal with so I haven't replied. Thought maybe the new economy got rid of the old super low wet-it & forget-it prices for apartments? Guess not.

I clean/repair for one independent building owner as needed... cleaning $160 per unit (all the same floor plan 600sq/ft of carpet), repairs are custom prices each time. This is the lowest price per square foot I've ever offered on residential cleaning but is 4X what he used to pay and has never been happier. Pays quickly.... usually. Now that we've cleaned most of them at least once the gig is so much easier. First cleans were rough, but even a year later one that we cleaned properly cleans up easier the next go around.