Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Don't worry about contracts. Just go clean and up-sell. call Jerry Valentine for lots of valuable information on how to succeed on the apartment cleaning. Keep this in mind. No matter how good you are, they will fire you more than once but they will always comeback to you if you become a problem solver not trouble maker.
I was fired three weeks ago from my strongest PM, I started fixing the crap the other guys left Today. Just waiting right now on my wife to finish the cleaning so i can show up to clean the carpet, linoleum and tile.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Contracts can be a good thing and a not so pleasant thing. Just be aware that they can and will nullify the contract the first time you don't drop what you are doing and give them priority status. Apartments are very demanding because everyone wants to get a contract with them. Just be careful and cover yourself.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Don't upsell give them a flat rate or else you will lose the contract believe me ?

Reactions: mathis1

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Contracts can be a good thing and a not so pleasant thing. Just be aware that they can and will nullify the contact the first time you don't drop what you are doing and give them priority status. Apartments are very demanding because everyone wants to get a contract with them. Just be careful and cover yourself.
that is why you don't give them contracts. It's unpleasant, everyone wants to work for them and scare them with contracts.
three things that make me "the to go guy"
Never complaint
always available
easy to work with.
And I'm not cheap. I'm average when it comes to PMs I work for two and looking for more but not just about any PM

Reactions: Abenpatty

Carlo Pro

Nov 10, 2013
Colorado
www.oxigreencolorado.com
Real Name
Carlo B.
Business Location
United States
I was a sub-contractor for a while once, cleaning apartment complex.
I know how they are, just want to fill the gaps and get some extra cash, later who knows.
I think, definitely pet urine, red color removal, and stretching are extra.

Last edited:

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I was a sub-contractor for a while once, cleaning apartment complex.
I know how they are, just want to fill the gaps and get some extra cash, later who knows.
I think, definitely pet urine, red color removal, and stretching are extra.
apts wont do a contract, Make sure you always show up clean the carpets and always ask before doing something extra,, if you need to do repairs, spot dyes , patches , pet anything always go and ask. Usually they will ok them.... But remember they will replace you in a heartbeat if someone cheaper walks thru the door.
PM is more loyal to its venders, I do work for large ones small ones and only have a few slum lords lol,,( they pay fast) so I do their work.
I have replaced all the cheap PM companies I used to work for,

Check out the apt complex ! ask them for the name and number of the painter, plumber, AC guy so you can see how they pay their bills..

Expect every job to be horrible, because most will be horrible,,, you will gain a lot of experience doing repairs, patches spot dyes,, and maybe even some dye jobs... but that is going away most new stuff being put down is the cheap poly shit....
Poly shit you have to figure out what works to clean it out, this is not residential work, you do not have 3 hours to clean each apt,,,, so you have to figure out the fastest system you can and still clean the carpets awesome,,,,
I only used to scrub an apt if they paid for it...

at 40-65 bucks for a one bedroom and you have 6 to do you cannot go in and pre vac, scrub and extract,,, you have to go in pretreat blow and go and learn which chems let you go fast. SLow dwelling chems are a waste of time no matter how great they are in apt cleaning you simply don't have the time to waste or you go home with only 100 buck made that day.....

Production cleaning is the apt business!

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
How would he loose the contract for helping the company and allowing them to spend their money with him rather than someone else?

PM hate add ons like wax or gum removal .
Deodorizing and wrinkle stretches seem to be fine .
They will drop you like that dumb stair right thru you .
They have 5 cleaners a week trying to get there foot in the door .

Reactions: jtsunbrite

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
yup you cant nickel and dime PM companies

Sjmakeithappen

Nov 8, 2015
Real Name
Stephen Jones
Business Location
United States
apts wont do a contract, Make sure you always show up clean the carpets and always ask before doing something extra,, if you need to do repairs, spot dyes , patches , pet anything always go and ask. Usually they will ok them.... But remember they will replace you in a heartbeat if someone cheaper walks thru the door.
PM is more loyal to its venders, I do work for large ones small ones and only have a few slum lords lol,,( they pay fast) so I do their work.
I have replaced all the cheap PM companies I used to work for,

Check out the apt complex ! ask them for the name and number of the painter, plumber, AC guy so you can see how they pay their bills..

Expect every job to be horrible, because most will be horrible,,, you will gain a lot of experience doing repairs, patches spot dyes,, and maybe even some dye jobs... but that is going away most new stuff being put down is the cheap poly shit....
Poly shit you have to figure out what works to clean it out, this is not residential work, you do not have 3 hours to clean each apt,,,, so you have to figure out the fastest system you can and still clean the carpets awesome,,,,
I only used to scrub an apt if they paid for it...

at 40-65 bucks for a one bedroom and you have 6 to do you cannot go in and pre vac, scrub and extract,,, you have to go in pretreat blow and go and learn which chems let you go fast. SLow dwelling chems are a waste of time no matter how great they are in apt cleaning you simply don't have the time to waste or you go home with only 100 buck made that day.....

Production cleaning is the apt business!
Your answer is spot on. Apartment communities will rarely let you have anything other than a verbal contract any way. We do apartment complexes only and your only there because someone likes you and your work. Good managers don't let you go over pricing as long as you understand that your getting quantity over quality as they are too and yes the blow and go method is really rental terminology. Get stains or wax etc. out without permission and they will find someone else at the drop of a hat. Usually they require higher ins. rates on company and vans and now starting to use 3rd party vendors that you pay about $100 a year per property to be a "preferred vendor" Rentals are fine for starting out or fillers but you kinda have to decide which side of the fence you want to be on. Ive been in offices many times and heard a manager call out a vendor and if they don't jump, on to the next. I do have a verbal clause that i explain that I won't compete for a property if you are using someone else then I'm out. I don't even let them use a back up. A lot of managers or maintenance supers will bring along there own vendors if they are new to a property. Its just that they have built a relationship with vendors over the years and know they can rely on them. College properties if you live near any are great. They dump out at the end of the year and right back in. Its a grueling few weeks but lots of money to be made.

Sjmakeithappen

Nov 8, 2015
Real Name
Stephen Jones
Business Location
United States
They do generally pay monthly, but again it takes a lot of effort to figure out who pays on time and who will jump from vendor to vendor and never pay. Talking to existing vendors " painters cleaners etc." will give you a good idea. But talking to other vendors also raises flags on the properties. Vendors in Apts really network with each other Which is a good and bad thing. Never cut someone's prices unless they are ridiculous. We always match prices or raise them slightly and that way your playing fair. Also watch or bluntly ask what the occupancy is if it's lower than 85-90 it's probably slow at paying 45-60 days. And that's when you try to do all the extras you can. And just because you may be owed 2-3 K from a property doesn't always mean money in the bank. Corporations can file bankruptcy at the blink of an eye or be sold. Generally you do get your money, you just have to be careful. It's an easy niche to get into, but also an easy one to get stuck in. Diversity is the best formula.

cain7480

Feb 27, 2014
I have posted before about apt complexes. They can been good if you know what your doing and very bad if you don't. Contracts won't work because they could drop you even if you had one. And they pay when they want to. I just picked up 6 more Apts. so I'm at around 35 or 40 complexes. I just did my book and they own me $118,000.00. $45,000 of that is 60 days out. They can be very slow to pay. I have seen that run a lot of companies in the ground. Two of my biggest competitors just went out of business because of that same thing. But it is year round work and money. When winter hits and other companies are slow. I have 4 vans out. Our slow is 20 jobs.

likenew89

Jul 24, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Real Name
dan
It's a relationship thing.

Build one. Maintain it.

Even if someone cheaper comes through quality of work and a relationship will keep you there.

We were 300 more on a hallways cleaning and because of the above, they didn't blink

Reactions: Sjmakeithappen

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
everybody does. not just them. actually charging for spots or chewing gums is not my thing. I incorporate that in my pricing.
but they love it when you can do more things for them like
clean the linoleum floor
repair the broken screen
clean the tile in the shower
re caulk the bathtub
repair the toilet water tank etc etc.
I usually walk out of each apartment with 80 to 100 more in upsales or cross sales what ever you wanna name those. things that take 15 to 20 minutes to do and you get to charge 40 to 50 each.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Clean a dirty stove ? ^^^^^^^ no like
You got it boss. That is what we do. Nobody likes it everybody complaints we don't
we turn over the entire unit minus painting (coming soon)
while i'm at it.... I inspect the
toilet tank
electrical switches
bulbs
screens etc. All that I can do and will be done fast and on the spot.
think about it .... how much the electrician charges to go change a bulb and a switch
The plumber to go fix a toilet
the screen guy to go make one or how long it takes them to take it to the shop and get it done.

Now lets say you do all this three things in one apartment do you think they will not pay you $150 to $200 ??

Dude I have submitted bills that start at $300 on the quote and end up at $1500 at the invoice. Never heard them cry. they love me for saving them so much money and the hassle to deal with several vendors.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
It's a relationship thing.

Build one. Maintain it.

Even if someone cheaper comes through quality of work and a relationship will keep you there.

We were 300 more on a hallways cleaning and because of the above, they didn't blink
No different than keeping any service account . Be personable and do quality work.
@likenew89 I have to come up with a quote tomorrow for hallways in a apartmnet complex. Cimex or HWE ? May be stairs involved which I could encap with a rotary.
How do you attack these hallways ?
Thanx