Apartment Carpet Cleaning Business Model-What's involved? Worth it? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Apartment Carpet Cleaning Business Model-What's involved? Worth it?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
like I said earlier the guys around here that do Apts they don’t charge 40 they make good money there equipment shows it and they been doing it for 20 plus years my tech used to work for them they do everything and they charge for it and the giant complexes don’t have a problem paying for it because it saves them having to replace it
A greenhorn manager will kill you, they can't see the forest for the trees. Give me the old battle axe that we can talk about prorated life vs dollars spent vs budget restraints and staying in the black and we are going to be be good friends.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Right - ask yourself, why do you create a business?

To create VALUE for your customers! The byproduct of this is making money by SAVING them money. How much money you save them is your VALUE.

Show the Property Manager that you can SAVE them $$$ and the DOORS WILL OPEN. They would be STUPID not to.

So when that Property Manager looks at you and says, "The other guy charges $25 a room" - be bold and confident, not arrogant, simply look at them and say, "I understand, and I'd like to see if there is a value I can provide that will help you save more money currently by doing XYZ"

If they are truly happy with the guy and not wanting to switch then move on. I guarantee only 20% at most of guys cleaning carpets are any good at what they do.

tracywalker 1

Jan 14, 2012
i talked to a guy last year had 4-5 trucks and said he cleans 100-200 apts a day...hard to believe but he had been doing this a long time....
What? So he is saying each van is doing 20-50 apartments a day? Is that even possible? Maybe he was talking about a week?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Right - ask yourself, why do you create a business?

To create VALUE for your customers! The byproduct of this is making money by SAVING them money. How much money you save them is your VALUE.

Show the Property Manager that you can SAVE them $$$ and the DOORS WILL OPEN. They would be STUPID not to.

So when that Property Manager looks at you and says, "The other guy charges $25 a room" - be bold and confident, not arrogant, simply look at them and say, "I understand, and I'd like to see if there is a value I can provide that will help you save more money currently by doing XYZ"

If they are truly happy with the guy and not wanting to switch then move on. I guarantee only 20% at most of guys cleaning carpets are any good at what they do.
I look them right in the eyes and say that you can pay the other guy to practice on your stuff, or pay me to do it right. Since we are playing with their money and namely their bonuses it's an easy sell for me to stand and deliver. I sell to their wallet, nothing in the world works better... nothing.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'd pay good money to come work with you for a week Jim to learn. Are you for sale? =)

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
What? So he is saying each van is doing 20-50 apartments a day? Is that even possible? Maybe he was talking about a week?
it is hard to believe but he has been doing this for 15-20 years...

If you have 2 on a van you could easily do 20-30 a day....
Also some apts. are setup like hotels right next to each other........

but yea 50 is hard to believe....
When i did apts. i usually did 8-10 a day OO......
but they were all different setups with a truckmount....
I actually think you could do these with a better setup
with portable and scrubber like NAMCO......

the apt. complex i used to do had about 20-30 turn overs a week.....
and they added 2-3 more complexes....
would be a full time job and not have to worry about the ups and downs of homes.........

half the work is the setup......

Reactions: tracywalker 1

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
True, but if it's on 3rd floors etc I'd rather run my truckmount hose up there vs dolly the portable. But that's just me.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If I had to give any advice if you are going to chase this kind of work is to work for the good people only. Go for the seasoned personal that value your skills and time. Fire the emergency "guys" that "always" have a 911 situation, offer full service, cleaning, dyeing and repairs.

I only try to work for elevator only jobs where TM only guys trying to over compensate wont go. I let those guys fight over miserable hose runs laying out $500 of corner guards and hardwood protection to make $200 while not trying to break a priceless TJ MAXX "vase". You can bang on the $200 per hour door if you want, depends on what station in life you value your "okayness" at. I feel very good scheduling a house or 2 first thing in the morning and doing rentals the rest of the day. Next year I want to be mostly all rentals and let fussy, appointment cancelling, change order residential customers go fück themselves. I'm so tired of their bullshit after almost 30 years. I'm pushing rope and not pulling it so I'm not a good example.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah we just purchased a Mytee Vortex to start grabbing some of those higher up jobs. We will see how it goes. I've never laid protection for hardwood, can the hose really damage it? Then again I dont drag my hoses through the house either.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yeah we just purchased a Mytee Vortex to start grabbing some of those higher up jobs. We will see how it goes. I've never laid protection for hardwood, can the hose really damage it? Then again I dont drag my hoses through the house either.
When you're working the hose is sawing back and forth. Everytime the wand makes contact with the floor it collapses. Inching it along like a snake. The plastic should not hurt hardwood no. But any grit or gravel will make scratches. Plus drops make it easier to walk about without tracking cleaner on the wood.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Also have to be aware of the brass on the solution hose scratching the finish or gouging it, and ive seen heat from the hose and brass damage tge finish as well

Reactions: TLC CARPET CLEANING

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I got the brass part covered, we use QD Wraps
1579875902530.png

True about the gravel and sand I suppose, guess in 5 years now I haven't had a complaint. Granted I baby my hoses and clean/inspect them every day. I use a rotovac so the wand jerking motion isn't as pronounced.