Anyone try this pre spray product? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Anyone try this pre spray product?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It may not be as cheap as you think. I learned a long, long time ago to check the dilution ratio of any detergent, prespray, rinse, etc. before I buy it. I checked the ratio on that product for use as an extraction detergent and it's a whopping 1:64! (2 oz. per 1 gallon) http://www.odoban.com/products/carpet-and-furniture/3-in-1-carpet-cleaner.php
Now compare that to a liquid formulated more for the cleaning industry. I just picked Chemspec Formula 90 out of my hat just for giggles. Take a look:
Portable:

• Light soil - 2 ounces to 15 gallons of water (960:1)
  • Moderate soil - 3 ounces to 15 gallons of water
  • Heavy soil - 6 ounces to 15 gallons of water (320:1)
  • Truck mount:

• Light soil - 10 ounces to 15 gallons of water (960:1)
  • Moderate soil - 16 ounces to 15 gallons of water
  • Heavy soil - 32 ounces to 5 gallons of water (320:1)
Even taking the extreme highest dilution for portables on Heavy soil we're only at 2 oz. per 5 gallons and 320:1 ratio compared to 64:1 for the Odoban product. I'm not saying the Odoban isn't any good and if you want to use it knock yourself out. I'm just pointing out it's 9.98 per gallon for a very good reason. Now, not all detergents formulated by the carpet cleaning industry specifically for pros are as concentrated as Formula 90, but most are by far more concentrated than your "cheap as chicken" product. Just sayin, you get what ya pay for.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
It may not be as cheap as you think. I learned a long, long time ago to check the dilution ratio of any detergent, prespray, rinse, etc. before I buy it. I checked the ratio on that product for use as an extraction detergent and it's a whopping 1:64! (2 oz. per 1 gallon) http://www.odoban.com/products/carpet-and-furniture/3-in-1-carpet-cleaner.php
Now compare that to a liquid formulated more for the cleaning industry. I just picked Chemspec Formula 90 out of my hat just for giggles. Take a look:
Portable:

• Light soil - 2 ounces to 15 gallons of water (960:1)
  • Moderate soil - 3 ounces to 15 gallons of water
  • Heavy soil - 6 ounces to 15 gallons of water (320:1)
  • Truck mount:

• Light soil - 10 ounces to 15 gallons of water (960:1)
  • Moderate soil - 16 ounces to 15 gallons of water
  • Heavy soil - 32 ounces to 5 gallons of water (320:1)
Even taking the extreme highest dilution for portables on Heavy soil we're only at 2 oz. per 5 gallons and 320:1 ratio compared to 64:1 for the Odoban product. I'm not saying the Odoban isn't any good and if you want to use it knock yourself out. I'm just pointing out it's 9.98 per gallon for a very good reason. Now, not all detergents formulated by the carpet cleaning industry specifically for pros are as concentrated as Formula 90, but most are by far more concentrated than your "cheap as chicken" product. Just sayin, you get what ya pay for.
I agree you get what you pay for, most times. Fels Naptha does very well for its cheap price.

Is the example you picked, Formula 90, used as a rinse? It seems that is the case with what you wrote.
10oz per 5gal jug for light soil.

I think Jim said above he uses 4oz in his 5gal jug as a rinse. So how much does Formula 90 costs?

Am I missing something?

Also, I was asking about its performance, price is secondary to me. Sure $9.98 is attractive compared to $35 -$40 per jug.

I am always looking for a better way.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I agree you get what you pay for, most times. Fels Naptha does very well for its cheap price.

Is the example you picked, Formula 90, used as a rinse? It seems that is the case with what you wrote.

I think Jim said above he uses 4oz in his 5gal jug as a rinse. So how much does Formula 90 costs?

Am I missing something?

Also, I was asking about its performance, price is secondary to me. Sure $9.98 is attractive compared to $35 -$40 per jug.

I did not see the one. I saw 5 instead of 15. Anyway my point is the performance question. Whatever. No worries. I have too much product in stock as it is.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States

Am I missing something?

I was just trying to point out that most or at least many of the detergents and presprays made specifically for pro carpet cleaners are going to wind up actually being cheaper when you consider their rtu cost rather than the price per gallon. I figured the Formula 90 even using the highest concentration they give and it came out to .14 per rtu gallon. The Odoban was .15 per rtu gallon so no real savings at all. When you see these very cheap per gallon prices they're mostly watered down products that don't go very far compared to those formulated for use by professional carpet cleaners. There might be some rare exceptions, but by and large that's what I've seen.

Sure, The Formula 90 is way higher per gallon of concentrate (45.05), but look how far that gallon goes. If you're prespraying as most of us do you would rarely if even need to use the highest concentration of it either.