Anyone in air cleaning business? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Anyone in air cleaning business?

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
I would like to start an air cleaning business at houses and cars. I would clean cars with ozone generator, but I would clean houses' air with hydroxyl generator. I have read it is safe, but I don't know is it true in case of babies also? Maybe some constantly opened window could be enough to carry out byproducts during treatment.

I've called cleaners who work with ozone and they have a lot of work, but I think it is very difficult to persuade people to leave their house for treatment and post-ventilation time. And in case of ozone treatment, workers must wear respirator mask. During hydroxyl treatment, nobody needs this. So maybe I could have even more and easier jobs than they have.

What do you think?

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
Unless you're going to be doing smoke, fire and odor restoration jobs via insurance companies, I think you will fail and go out of business.
Hm, it seems I should insist on ozone car cleaning, there's a big demand.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
First and foremost, you're not "cleaning the air". That would require a HEPA-rated air scrubber, among other things - not just ozone or hydroxyl. What you are offering is odor removal.

Odor removal can be very lucrative, but in order to do it properly you must first remove the source of the odor. Pet urine, spilled milk, cigarette residue, all are sources of odor. Simply running an ozone machine for a while won't remove the source - it will take care of any airborne odor, but eventually the smell will come back if the source is not removed. That's where the cleaning step comes in.

Ozone is extremely hazardous. There are no KNOWN hazards to working with hydroxyl, but it is still fairly new technology in our industry and care must be taken. Plus, some hydroxyl machines also produce small amounts of ozone while they run, and these CANNOT be run in populated environments. Ozone can also have unpredictable and damaging effects on plastics, rubber, metals, and other substances.

Despite all the hype, there is NO evidence that ozone "kills" mold spores or even affects them in any way. A spore is not alive to begin with - it is like a seed, an inert object until it is activated by the presence of food and moisture. So these claims of killing mold or spores with ozone are to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least.

I have a couple of guys in this area who specialize in removing odor from cars - rental cars, to be specific. They use ozone or chlorine dioxide and they do a thorough cleaning as well. It is indeed lucrative, but it must be done properly or else you keep re-treating cars for free because the smell keeps coming back.

There is no magic machine, unfortunately, that takes the physical effort out of cleaning or odor removal. I've seen the ads for 'air purifiers' that claim to use ozone or hydroxyl to remove all sorts of things from the air inside a home - and to be frank, 99.9% of it is hype, not fact.

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
First and foremost, you're not "cleaning the air". That would require a HEPA-rated air scrubber, among other things - not just ozone or hydroxyl. What you are offering is odor removal.

Odor removal can be very lucrative, but in order to do it properly you must first remove the source of the odor. Pet urine, spilled milk, cigarette residue, all are sources of odor. Simply running an ozone machine for a while won't remove the source - it will take care of any airborne odor, but eventually the smell will come back if the source is not removed. That's where the cleaning step comes in.

Ozone is extremely hazardous. There are no KNOWN hazards to working with hydroxyl, but it is still fairly new technology in our industry and care must be taken. Plus, some hydroxyl machines also produce small amounts of ozone while they run, and these CANNOT be run in populated environments. Ozone can also have unpredictable and damaging effects on plastics, rubber, metals, and other substances.

Despite all the hype, there is NO evidence that ozone "kills" mold spores or even affects them in any way. A spore is not alive to begin with - it is like a seed, an inert object until it is activated by the presence of food and moisture. So these claims of killing mold or spores with ozone are to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least.

I have a couple of guys in this area who specialize in removing odor from cars - rental cars, to be specific. They use ozone or chlorine dioxide and they do a thorough cleaning as well. It is indeed lucrative, but it must be done properly or else you keep re-treating cars for free because the smell keeps coming back.

There is no magic machine, unfortunately, that takes the physical effort out of cleaning or odor removal. I've seen the ads for 'air purifiers' that claim to use ozone or hydroxyl to remove all sorts of things from the air inside a home - and to be frank, 99.9% of it is hype, not fact.

Thanks for the infos.
Maybe I should promote myself as an air condition cleaner with sterilization, and odor removal is an option, but not guaranteed. Problem solved.

Do you know something about mold removing? Is it lucrative? It seems not as hard physical job as cleaning with upholstery tools.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the infos.
Maybe I should promote myself as an air condition cleaner with sterilization, and odor removal is an option, but not guaranteed. Problem solved.

Do you know something about mold removing? Is it lucrative? It seems not as hard physical job as cleaning with upholstery tools.
I'm having a hard time understanding your first sentence - do you mean to say you plan to offer cleaning and sanitizing (not sterilizing, which is impossible in an uncontrolled environment) on HVAC systems? If so, you need to get certified through the proper channels first.

Same with mold remediation. It is a complex and broad field, full of liability issues.

You really would be better off learning the basics of cleaning before you offer any sort of remediation work. In other words, learn to walk before you run.

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
I'm having a hard time understanding your first sentence - do you mean to say you plan to offer cleaning and sanitizing (not sterilizing, which is impossible in an uncontrolled environment) on HVAC systems? If so, you need to get certified through the proper channels first.

Same with mold remediation. It is a complex and broad field, full of liability issues.

You really would be better off learning the basics of cleaning before you offer any sort of remediation work. In other words, learn to walk before you run.

No, just in cars.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I think a great first step would be to reach out to companies in your area who already provide this service and ask them what they do. Do they clean? Do they strictly ozone? Both? Any guarantees? How much do they charge?

There are many different levels of service, and the first thing you'd need to do is figure out what level of service you want to provide.

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
I think a great first step would be to reach out to companies in your area who already provide this service and ask them what they do. Do they clean? Do they strictly ozone? Both? Any guarantees? How much do they charge?

There are many different levels of service, and the first thing you'd need to do is figure out what level of service you want to provide.
Yes, good idea. I know prices and most of them just ozonize. But I'll call some of them about guarantees. By the way I do carpet cleaning in cars (as an employee) and it is tiring and slow process related to ozonizing.

What do you think what is the best niche in cleaning industry? I know it is a tough question.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
First step is honestly with all due respect research this a ton. It’s not something one day you just decide to do. People’s health is serious business. I’d develop a business plan and a target market.

mike$

May 29, 2014
California
Real Name
brandon Dre
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the infos.

REMEDIATION is hard and expensive. Especially if you don't do it right. Good luck to you buddy.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet