Anyone have any luck on correcting browning on a rayon rug?

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Have a client who tried cleaning a rayon rug wine spill. She turned baking soda into a paste and covered the spill with it after blotting. Turned the spot dark brown. I came over the next day and imedieadtly realized it may have been a viscose rug and applied a little Chemspec browning treatment on a small part of it. it only slightly improved it. Bonnettpros oxyspotter did better and I applied it to the rest and then rinsed and it looked 85% better. Towel dried the heck outta it. Looked great when I left. Rug was too big and had a ton of furniture on it so I could let it dry face down. Well it yellowed a lot more and I'm going back tomorrow. I'm pessimistic about my chances. Any have any luck?

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Chemspecs browning treatment is a RTU formula. I always had tremendous results with Matrix Target tannin stain remover. You can mix it weaker or stronger depending upon your needs. Try that first.

Now if for some reason the Target doesnt work, then try H2O2. But dont try that until the rug is dry from the tannin stain remover. Once it is dry, give the area a quick rinse to prepare the fibers of any left over stain and free them of any chemical slop. Plus it allows the H2O2 to work at its peak. The last thing you want is a smorgasbord of chemicals in one spot.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Chemspecs browning treatment is a RTU formula. I always had tremendous results with Matrix Target tannin stain remover. You can mix it weaker or stronger depending upon your needs. Try that first.

Now if for some reason the Target doesnt work, then try H2O2. But dont try that until the rug is dry from the tannin stain remover. Once it is dry, give the area a quick rinse to prepare the fibers of any left over stain and free them of any chemical slop. Plus it allows the H2O2 to work at its peak. The last thing you want is a smorgasbord of chemicals in one spot.
YEAH ITS RTU.........IVE already tried peroxide which lightened it good but after rinsing as it dries its yellowing do to the rayon not liking the water. im thinking ill just use a reducer like the browning treatment to get rid hopefully of the yellowing. not optimistic........then theres the baking soda paste she slathered it with being the x-factor.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Have a client who tried cleaning a rayon rug wine spill. She turned baking soda into a paste and covered the spill with it after blotting. Turned the spot dark brown. I came over the next day and imedieadtly realized it may have been a viscose rug and applied a little Chemspec browning treatment on a small part of it. it only slightly improved it. Bonnettpros oxyspotter did better and I applied it to the rest and then rinsed and it looked 85% better. Towel dried the heck outta it. Looked great when I left. Rug was too big and had a ton of furniture on it so I could let it dry face down. Well it yellowed a lot more and I'm going back tomorrow. I'm pessimistic about my chances. Any have any luck?
Its best to leave it alone. The baking soda is what messed it up. With such a high PH and the dwell time. Having turned it upside would have helped or folding it also could have work ( but place a piece of plastic to prevent wetting on the dry part of the rug.

You could try again but with a strong acid or possibly tannin. OR stain magic but with Viscose I would just leave it alone. Hopefully you explained all of this to the owner before touching it and disclaiming it on the invoice.

I have cleaned viscose and although I stay away from it, it is possible to clean it without any issues, but knowing the science and chemistry will help understand and avoid problems

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
YEAH ITS RTU.........IVE already tried peroxide which lightened it good but after rinsing as it dries its yellowing do to the rayon not liking the water. im thinking ill just use a reducer like the browning treatment to get rid hopefully of the yellowing. not optimistic........then theres the baking soda paste she slathered it with being the x-factor.
I wouldn't rinse the H2O2. Spray and walk away.
But aside from that I believe the Matrix Target will provide you with much better results. Nothing to lose and all to gain. And yeah...that baking soda certainly isnt helping matters.
As long as your customer understands from the beginning that there is a possibility it could be permanent stain, then you do your best and that's it.

Sometimes we're the bug and other times where the windshield.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
im g
I wouldn't rinse the H2O2. Spray and walk away.
But aside from that I believe the Matrix Target will provide you with much better results. Nothing to lose and all to gain. And yeah...that baking soda certainly isnt helping matters.
As long as your customer understands from the beginning that there is a possibility it could be permanent stain, then you do your best and that's it.

Sometimes we're the bug and other times where the windshield.
I went back today........soaked a 6" buffer terry bonnet in Chemspec Coffee stain and browning treatment and buffed the rug with it. Towel dry/blower fan done. Gone........

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
im g
I went back today........soaked a 6" buffer terry bonnet in Chemspec Coffee stain and browning treatment and buffed the rug with it. Towel dry/blower fan done. Gone........
I hope you used a respirator

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
im g
Chemspec's coffee stain remover is a stronger tannin stain remover than their RTU Brown Out. Next time you order from Jon Don order a gallon of Matrix Target. You will love it. And you can use it as an acid rinse as well. Glad it worked out for you, Ed.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Sometimes, with problematic browners or removing red stains from wool drying them with the backing up and face fibers "down" saves some time and redo's. Folding the rug back on itself and directing the air mover at the backing while allowing air be "around" the face fibers wins. Sometimes you can't remove everything inside the knot surrounding a cotton foundation fiber, so if you can't beat them, join them!

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Sometimes, with problematic browners or removing red stains from wool drying them with the backing up and face fibers "down" saves some time and redo's. Folding the rug back on itself and directing the air mover at the backing while allowing air be "around" the face fibers wins. Sometimes you can't remove everything inside the knot surrounding a cotton foundation fiber, so if you can't beat them, join them!
That's correct. I don't wanna wet the backing so I whiten the top half of the fiber.