Anyone have a bare bones start up list/recomendation?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Hey guys,

So Im thinking of adding power washing to our services, we have had enough people ask about it in town that i believe at least offering the basics could be a nice little addition profit wise. Just wondering on what kind of machine/accessories you guys would recommend?

I figure id get a Washer with at least 3500 PSI, and at a min 3.5-4GPM flow(Would that be enough?) Ill get a Honda engine.

I have roughly 2500$ CAN i can spare right now to try and set this up and i figure the machine itself will cost half that if i shop around(at least), besides that any other must haves you suggest? Im going to be doing decks/driveways. Dont want to be up on a ladder if i can help it, and dont have a ton of spare space in my work Van to fit too much more equipment(gonna load and unload the power washer each time so if you know of any lightweight units id appreciate it)

Thanks for the info/tips.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Oh i guess i should add, what chems you recommend having in stock as must haves? Thanks.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Don't forget about renting equipment until you get enough to warrant purchasing. Our local Sherwin Williams paint stores rent real equipment, belt drive 4 GPM Honda's and surface cleaners. We own that type of equipment already, but on big parking decks we will rent and extra setup. 2 spinners and a guy rinsing will crush some square footage with the right setup.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Depends on how fast you want to clean. 5 gpm minimum

Most pressure washing companies use 6 to 8 gpm.

More water flow the faster the job gets done and the more $$$ an hour you make

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Hey guys,

So Im thinking of adding power washing to our services, we have had enough people ask about it in town that i believe at least offering the basics could be a nice little addition profit wise. Just wondering on what kind of machine/accessories you guys would recommend?

I figure id get a Washer with at least 3500 PSI, and at a min 3.5-4GPM flow(Would that be enough?) Ill get a Honda engine.

I have roughly 2500$ CAN i can spare right now to try and set this up and i figure the machine itself will cost half that if i shop around(at least), besides that any other must haves you suggest? Im going to be doing decks/driveways. Dont want to be up on a ladder if i can help it, and dont have a ton of spare space in my work Van to fit too much more equipment(gonna load and unload the power washer each time so if you know of any lightweight units id appreciate it)

Thanks for the info/tips.
For surface cleaning 4gpm is minimum ur gonna want..but 8gpm and 3000 psi is ideal....for a wand 4000psi and 4gpm...most trailer rig companies have 2-4 machines because of this for different applications..

Key start! Especially if you have employees 100% key start machine

If ur trying to just add it onto ur van I'd just go with 4000, 4gpm..u should be able to get that under $1000

Definitely need to use a surface cleaner tho, don't try to wand driveways..should be under $500 depending on size and wheels ..the real kind, not ones u attach to a wand

Buy Chlorine or bleach in bulk, hard part is having 50-100 gal tank if ur just using ur CC van.....for 4-8gpm machines it really is a good idea to have a freshwater tank too..

Chem injection

50 gal chem tank $100. 100 gal fresh tank $200...

5000 psi ball valves on the end of everyhose..so u don't have to walk back and forth to change anything..

5 in 1 tips ..

Cobb web brush

Commercial water key..

Maintenance and take care of the machines like babies..

300' 5000 psi hose on a real. If u have a fresh tank just 100' garden if not then 300' garden.

Edging wand

Last edited:

TWalters

Jun 22, 2018
Real Name
Tristen Walters
I’d highly recommend going with 6-8 GPM. I’m sure you will end up washing some houses, and You won’t be able to wash a 2 story house without a ladder unless you have 6 GPM or more. I can wash a 2 story house easily with a 8 GPM machine and hardly ever need to use a ladder. Surface cleaning normally needs 1 GPM for every 4” of the machine. So a 21” surface cleaner requires a minimum of 5 GPM to work efficiently. If it isn’t needed, buying a unit without a heater is way cheaper. Only time I use heat is in winter, normally 115 degrees.

Bare minimum:
Pressure Washing machine
Wand
Downstream injector
Fresh water tank (if you go with 8GPM it will be a must. No house pressure will keep up with it)
Chemical tank (not sure where you are, but here I am only allowed to carry 90 Gallons of SH at a time. So a 100 gallon tank is perfect)
Pump up sprayers for chemicals
Brush to brush gutters (if you will include that)
Surface cleaner (I prefer whisper wash)
fresh water hose
High pressure hose
ball valves (don’t buy cheap, SH will eat them up)
Obviously you can always skip on hose reels, etc if you have to for the start.

Chemicals, you want Sodium Hypochlorite. If you’re careful, it’s the main chemical you will need. A downstream injector will work for houses, fence, ect. then eventually adding a simple 12v system to mix 50/50 with water will allow you to clean roofs, and post treat concrete which will really make it clean up good.

You can clean a lot of stuff with simply a downstream injector, sodium hypochlorite, and a pump up sprayer with 50/50 in it.

Other chemicals you may need if you end up washing houses, or even trex decking, etc:

LA’s totally awesome - removes oxidation on gutters. Will make them look like new. Be careful not to use too much though, as it can remove the paint.

Oxalic Acid - a cheap and effective acid for removing rust stains, and also correcting the problem when window trim will turn orange when bleach hits it.

One Restore - will remove staining, oxidation, etc. from siding, and just about any surface.

These in pump up sprayers will work MAGIC.

Sorry for the wall of text, just letting you know some tips and tricks that you normally don’t learn until 2-3 years into washing. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Excellent advice so far everyone. Thanks! I think Ive got an idea of where to start in pricing out some equipment.