Anyone ever clean anything like this before? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Anyone ever clean anything like this before?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by Swani21, Sep 14, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    These pictures were sent to me by a business and asked if we could clean. It's a combination of brick and wood. I was thinking of using my 175 and the hydroforce wood care products @Scott W @SAA but if anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it![​IMG][​IMG]

2. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 19 / -0
    now that's a funky floor!

3. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 19 / -0
    looks like it would need stripped and refinishing not just a simple cleaning

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,913 / 58 / -0
    Have you checked it for topical costings? That looks like it has wax on it, maybe even a heavy buildup.

I recommend a close inspection of the floor and doing some testing to see what exactly needs to be done before committing to a price. I'm guessing you will find this job to be a major project that will take a lot more time and effort than a normal floor cleaning would.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    I haven't seen the job in person yet, but I kinda have a feeling it maybe more then I can handle. I was thinking of testing for topical wax by wiping a spot with rubbing alcohol and also by scrapping a spot.

6. Todd the Cleaner

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +25,913 / 58 / -0
    Take some stripper with you too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    Will do! Thanks!

8. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,715 / 0 / -0
    Chances are good that you're not looking at just one type of finish here, either. A floor that old and that badly maintained has probably had all kinds of "quick, make it look shiny again!" stuff poured on it. You could be dealing with a wax-acyrlic-poly sammidge that will take multiple strips with multiple chemical approaches to remove.

I bet it'll be beautiful once it's done right, though!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dafloorman

Dafloorman Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +1,628 / 7 / -0
    Nightmare!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jay@Expert

Jay@Expert Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I agree.

11. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    Would cleaning it with a neutral cleaner and not stripping cause it to haze?

12. Todd the Cleaner

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +25,913 / 58 / -0
    It could, especially if there are areas that the finish has worn (which I guarantee there are) and water is able to get under the finish.

Some jobs are just better to pass on especially if you don't know what you are doing. This floor will be a challenge for even the most experienced professionals out there. You will go in and make it look worse than it does now and all of the sudden you will be held responsible to refinish the floor at what ever cost.

Don't make someone else's problem your problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. ratfool

Premium VIP

Apr 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +191 / 1 / -0
    I'm guessing the haze is liquid evaporated from the brick. Just a guess.
    I agree with Todd about the floor. Even if you get it stripped -God knows the dry times for brick.
    Certainly not a single day job.

14. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    It's hard to pass. I always want to be the hero. They just want it clean. I was hoping to clean with 175 and the hydroforce wood care products.

15. Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,715 / 0 / -0
    The wood aspects of that floor in particular don't look to be in very good shape - the exposed areas look extremely dry and I see what appear to be a lot of splits and checks. It may even have some extensive "dry rot" going on along the edges there. Seeing the pics is making me itch to sand it all down and tung oil the heck out of it, lol.

The brick would be fairly easy, but the wood is going to present a number of challenges. Anything aggressive enough to truly deep-clean the brick is going to risk further damage to the wooden areas and put you on the hot seat. I don't see how this floor can be restored to its truly unique original condition without a LOT of work on hands and knees. Not to mention the concern with all those shallow-pan hookups scattered about - are they live?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 19 / -0
    Then why ask for the man's ADVICE!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Swani21

Swani21 Active Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was asking for advice and then going against it. The point I was trying to make is that it's hard to turn down any job.

18. Todd the Cleaner

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +25,913 / 58 / -0
    Trust me, the more experience you get the easier it becomes. Once you've dealt with a couple nightmare jobs you learn real fast when to say no.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,715 / 0 / -0
    It's always SO very hard to say No - I know that.

But from where I'm sitting looking at these pics, I don't see a way that you can produce a result with which they will be happy, at a price that will make you happy. This floor can likely be vastly improved - but it's going to take quite a lot of time and effort, even for the savviest most experienced cleaner.

If you look at it as a learning experience, more than as a paying job, then maybe you can use it as a challenge to increase your skill and learn some new techniques. But be prepared for the customer to be unhappy, since they let the floors get this bad to begin with.

A simple cleaning will NOT do anything about the damaged wood, the uneven areas, or the crazy amount of finish piled up in places.

As long as you set a reasonable expectation with them as far as results go, and you want the experience just for its own sake, then by all means take some after pics and let us know how it goes!

• Like Like x 1
  20. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,212 / 19 / -0
    and at that point it's extremely easy to say NO!

• Agree Agree x 1