Anyone else not getting paid for their commercial work?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've had one for certain and am pretty sure they have no intention of paying me, perhaps ever, unless I take legal action against them. I have another one that will be past due as of Monday and they've had a full 30 days at that point so it's pretty certain they're putting any services done for them on the back burner for paying for services. My guess is this will be or already has become widespread. I have always taken the position that I allow commercial work at least 30 days to pay for my service before it becomes late and that includes services for landlords or any type of rental properties. I've been doing this for many years and rarely had a problem. I'm being more lenient this time since I'm sure these businesses are likely in crisis mode too and have concluded I may have to wait a much longer time than normal to get my pay. Even taking legal action will do nothing to prevent that IMHO and I won't even consider that for at least several more months.

In the future, I may have to change my strategy for collection for any type of commercial work and my 30-day policy is as of right now GONE FOREVER. I expect payment upon completion or within a few days AT THE MOST. If they cannot do that they can't hire me, period. Anyone else have a better idea? I'm all ears. I finished a restaurant in my area on February 11 and after repeated requests, I still have no idea when or even if they will pay me. I think some of you should share your policies on this since this is not common knowledge and different businesses may have a better idea of how to handle it. Btw, that once very busy restaurant is barely operational and is only taking orders for pickup and even that could potentially be shut down at some point I imagine. It is only because I know they're having a tough time too that I'm being extremely patient and lenient.

I'm pretty much going to be shut down myself for a while. The amount of money I'm owed isn't going to be a game changer for me, but I know they're simply prioritizing who they're paying and I'm probably on the bottom of the list!

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have about $2,900 in accounts receivable at the moment.

But yes, I wont do any commercial work currently without a 50% deposit.

I found out from the guy who hired me that this restaurant uses some kind of pay service. They had all the information and forms needed filled out before I even finished the job. When I was in there I an employee let it slip that other vendors were also having trouble collecting from them so I'm not the only one. It's nearly 2 whole months now since the job was done. I can tell you this, it will NOT happen again, ever! I'm seriously considering the same policy I have for residential which is payable upon completion or I don't do the work. Many company policies DO NOT allow for that around here and I'm sure that is nationwide. I'm too old to care about their company policies and way too old not to get paid for my hard work.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I've had one for certain and am pretty sure they have no intention of paying me, perhaps ever, unless I take legal action against them. I have another one that will be past due as of Monday and they've had a full 30 days at that point so it's pretty certain they're putting any services done for them on the back burner for paying for services. My guess is this will be or already has become widespread. I have always taken the position that I allow commercial work at least 30 days to pay for my service before it becomes late and that includes services for landlords or any type of rental properties. I've been doing this for many years and rarely had a problem. I'm being more lenient this time since I'm sure these businesses are likely in crisis mode too and have concluded I may have to wait a much longer time than normal to get my pay. Even taking legal action will do nothing to prevent that IMHO and I won't even consider that for at least several more months.

In the future, I may have to change my strategy for collection for any type of commercial work and my 30-day policy is as of right now GONE FOREVER. I expect payment upon completion or within a few days AT THE MOST. If they cannot do that they can't hire me, period. Anyone else have a better idea? I'm all ears. I finished a restaurant in my area on February 11 and after repeated requests, I still have no idea when or even if they will pay me. I think some of you should share your policies on this since this is not common knowledge and different businesses may have a better idea of how to handle it. Btw, that once very busy restaurant is barely operational and is only taking orders for pickup and even that could potentially be shut down at some point I imagine. It is only because I know they're having a tough time too that I'm being extremely patient and lenient.

I'm pretty much going to be shut down myself for a while. The amount of money I'm owed isn't going to be a game changer for me, but I know they're simply prioritizing who they're paying and I'm probably on the bottom of the list!
I’m mostly residential but I’ve got a doctors office that I do that will take up to 90days. I’m not a fan of restaurant work and in my opinion it’s unlikely you’ll be paid anytime soon or at all. Have you tried calling and speaking to someone?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I’m mostly residential but I’ve got a doctors office that I do that will take up to 90days. I’m not a fan of restaurant work and in my opinion it’s unlikely you’ll be paid anytime soon or at all. Have you tried calling and speaking to someone?
I would definitely balk at 90 days. There is no reason for it no matter what they say. The longest I have ever allowed was 45 days for Applebees and they let me know ahead of time. I rarely do restaurants and don't go after them either, but they needed it done and I was available. I was able to start at 8 pm and did 1/2 one night and 1/2 the next night. I was expecting to be paid in maybe a 2 or 3 weeks.

I've called a few times and went by there twice before the Coronavirus made national news. Now, you can't go inside the restaurant at all. I will be calling again Monday, but expect the same response. The guy who hired me has NO SAY of when or if I will be paid. I don't like it of course, but there really isn't much I can do about it at this point.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
I have done commercial work previously and I always put Due Upon Completion on the invoice.
Makes no difference, most pay Net 30 Days.
I have a friend who suggested putting an early pay discount in the terms.
5% discount Net 10 days or Net 30
He said that a lot of accounts payable depts are required to get the discount and therefore pay early.

Bottom line is you need them more than they need you. Like landscapers, carpet cleaners are a dime a dozen in their minds.

I fire commercial customers that are slow paying.
I had VCT at some local Sherwin Williams paint stores.
They went past 60 days the last time I did work for them, so when they called for service again I declined.

I have a dentist office that I do annually (T&G and some carpet).
They have the check in an envelope on the front desk, and they close every Friday so its regular hours.
I'm done with late nights and s l o w payers.

Reactions: wandwizard

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
I do strictly commercial (mostly janitorial), and we usually have NET 30. I only have had one client not pay me, and they owe me about $4,000. For months we been asking for payment, and they give the run around. Then filed for bankruptcy and from what im being told that there is not enough assets to cover everyone, and I will have to pay like 1500 to see if I can recoup some of it back. The new company who bought them out says the deal wasn't with them, they just bought the assets and put their name on the building and took over the staff.

Reactions: wandwizard

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I found out from the guy who hired me that this restaurant uses some kind of pay service. They had all the information and forms needed filled out before I even finished the job. When I was in there I an employee let it slip that other vendors were also having trouble collecting from them so I'm not the only one. It's nearly 2 whole months now since the job was done. I can tell you this, it will NOT happen again, ever! I'm seriously considering the same policy I have for residential which is payable upon completion or I don't do the work. Many company policies DO NOT allow for that around here and I'm sure that is nationwide. I'm too old to care about their company policies and way too old not to get paid for my hard work.
Some of my restaurants went belly up( before virus) and I didn't get paid for work done prior them filling for BK. I'm hoping to get some funds back after judge is going to divide it among creditors. With other accounts, privately own, I have strict COD policy, no exception. I have that in place for many years and that's the only way to keep me sane. I'm not sure what the post " apocalyptic " times will bring....

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Bring a copy of the unpaid bill with you, and right now police arent answering non emergency calls.
I'm not that desperate yet. :) I've really only been completely screwed over by a very few customers in over 33 years in business so I count myself fortunate. I think the service that this restaurant is using to pay its vendors is the issue. As of tomorrow, I have another customer that will be past due. They are a service that distributes medical equipment including oxygen machines. They only owe me about 1/2 what the restaurant owes. I'll give them some more time and hope they're both honest. The restaurant is probably bleeding money right now, but they've probably been making it hand over fist for years and I well imagine the people who own it are multi-millionaires who probably make more in a day that we make in a good year. At least they did before this virus thing hit! This is a large, nationwide chain of restaurants with hundreds of outlets so my little fee is fairly insignificant. I may go up to 90 days, that's a little more than another month before things get nasty, but I expect to be paid in full before then and they will hear that from me tomorrow. I've been exceedingly patient with them.

Last edited: