Anybody ONLY do carpet cleaning?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
there is only one way to be *booked a year in advance* residential or commercial contracts.
The question was how do you go as a o/o in business for only 6 months and at that point you are now booked up for the next year as Andrew claims. Sorry, just can't see it.
How about you Paul, after only 6 months in the business were you fully booked for a year?

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
The question was how do you go as a o/o in business for only 6 months and at that point you are now booked up for the next year as Andrew claims. Sorry, just can't see it.
How about you Paul, after only 6 months in the business were you fully booked for a year?
He said after 6 months booked year round. To me that means never lacking for work. Not booked 1 year in advance.
All depends on how you interpret it.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
He said after 6 months booked year round. To me that means never lacking for work. Not booked 1 year in advance.
All depends on how you interpret it.
Maybe, but he said his business exploded after only 6 months and also was doing 5-7 jobs per day everyday Monday through Saturday. He hasn't corrected me yet if I'm wrong. I also asked how he can have people wait for months for their cleaning.
I asked to explain how he can handle the logistics and numerous phone calls along with the size of his jobs while maintaining his quality standards every day.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I agree. Statements dont add up. You dont find that many customers who wait that long for carpet cleaning no matter how good of a job you do, let alone that many jobs per day six days a week. How about a phone number or website with HousecallPro to verify?

Come on Andrew, give us your phone number so we can act like a customer to verify!

Nowadays you can see how booked your competition is by going to their website.....if you have nothing else to do.

Reactions: John Rockwood

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
4 rooms, hall and stairs even if only doing t/a's still would take at least an hour at the minimum. You still have to take into account for walk through inspection, any additional questions and concerns, additional cleaning such as a recliner or area rug. Now the set up followed by the cleaning process which should at least include pre vacuuming, spotting, moving certain furniture, pre spray application, extraction with drying passes, protector applied (if purchased), grooming and air movers when requested or if you deem necessary then put everything away, small talk and collect your $.
We haven't discussed drive time, traffic and other conditions that you have no control of.
You claim to be doing 5-7 jobs per day and still maintain you high level of quality would love to hear more on how you do this each and every day by yourself?
Let's not forget that you are taking and scheduling 20+ jobs each day to maintain your year out schedule.
Would love to know how you do it?
Not arguing with you just having a hard time grasping it.

Last edited:

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
4 rooms, hall and stairs even if only doing t/a's still would take at least an hour at the minimum. You still have to take into account for walk through inspection, any additional questions and concerns, additional cleaning such as a recliner or area rug. Now the set up followed by the cleaning process which should at least include pre vacuuming, spotting, moving certain furniture, pre spray application, extraction with drying passes, protector applied (if purchased), grooming and air movers when requested or if you deem necessary then put everything away, small talk and collect your $.
We haven't discussed drive time, traffic and other conditions that you have no control of.
You claim to be doing 5-7 jobs per day and still maintain you high level of quality would love to hear more on how you do this each and every day by yourself?
Let's not forget that you are taking and scheduling 20+ jobs each day to maintain your year out schedule.
Would love to know how you do it?
Not arguing with you just having a hard time grasping it.

Last edited:

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk
I agree. Statements dont add up. You dont find that many customers who wait that long for carpet cleaning no matter how good of a job you do, let alone that many jobs per day six days a week. How about a phone number or website with HousecallPro to verify?

Come on Andrew, give us your phone number so we can act like a customer to verify!

Nowadays you can see how booked your competition is by going to their website.....if you have nothing else to do.
For those who understand these things do make sense. Too bad they don't make sense to you my friend. Have a nice day

Andrew1986

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
Andrew Tetyuk

Stupid answer for stupid question is the right way to go sometimes :)

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Stupid answer for stupid question is the right way to go sometimes :)
Actually Andrew I was sincere in asking how you do it. Seems from your response you're out of puffing and with no substance you are taking this approach.
All the years I've been in this business I've never known anyone to have your amount of success in only 6 months.
Not saying it can't be done but you won't even elaborate on your implied success.
If you go back and look you are not the first to claim this amount of success in order to impress us and I'm sure you won't be the last.
FYI they disappeared to never be heard from again.

Mr. Nifty Clean

Feb 22, 2022
www.mr-niftyclean.ca
Real Name
Richard Rogers
Business Location
Canada
Hello, I am new here. Just started out on my own about a month ago. I have only had 10 clients this first month. It has been tough so far (not the work but finding clients). I appreciate all the info you all have posted, it has certainly helped me, so thank you.

My question is, to anyone with experience: how long did it take to start gaining clients, when did business pick up for you 3 months, a year?

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Do I need someone who has experience removing coffee stains from the white carpet? I tried everything :(
Strong oxidizer. Apply lightly, wait and see if it starts fading. Rinse and repeat. If that doesn't work you will need to use a reducing agent and a steam iron. If that doesn't work, then it is permanent. The fact is that some stains just won't come out. My go to line is "if this doesn't work, then it's time to replace." That way they aren't expecting a miracle.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Strong oxidizer. Apply lightly, wait and see if it starts fading. Rinse and repeat. If that doesn't work you will need to use a reducing agent and a steam iron. If that doesn't work, then it is permanent. The fact is that some stains just won't come out. My go to line is "if this doesn't work, then it's time to replace." That way they aren't expecting a miracle.
IMG_20220311_081733965.jpg

IMG_20220311_085555109.jpg

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I know it's conventional wisdom to offer diverse services, but a majority of my jobs are carpet cleaning jobs.

They definitely pay more, and are more straight forward the upholstery and area rugs.

Curious what makes up the bulk of everyone's jobs?
Someone already mentioned that added services mean more profit, but if majority of your work is carpet cleaning , good for you. Each additional service requires more tools. I love to clean upholstery ( more stationary, less chemistry, not as tiring, better ROI, etc.) , so I carry 2 diferent upholstery tools. I also used to carry 2 rotary tools for tiles&grout grout( both SX-12) , now I just switch between brushed and teflon only. It gets really interesting when I need to clean hardwood floors, I have to make room for Tenant T1 . It's all about space, right? I got small Husqvarna ( 3200 psi) so if there's an opportunity to hit some sidewalk or patio covered with algae, I'm not afraid to get " dirty" . I have a few customers that like to spruce up their garden furniture ( mostly plastic chairs and tables) and I just can't say no.
Same goes for returning customers asking to extract flood water on occasion. In simple cases when there is no padding involved and they call right away ( at least before incubation period expiration) , I'll take the job from big guys offering mold mitigation ( no offense) In my defense, I always carry at least 4 air movers ( allegedly moving 3400 cfm) , small and large water claw.
Does my van always looks presentable?
No, but I try really hard to make it look organized, I haven't mentioned 20 corner buddies, Oreck Orbiter for stairs and 20 " CRB, which I used on daily bases. Lastly, 65 gal. fresh water and 100 gal. waste tanks are also present.
I drive Chevy Express 2500. I don't feel pressured doing all that, since toools for a combo services such as carpet, upholstery and tiles&grout don't take that much space, but can bring more profit, which we all welcome, right

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
something i have learned through mistakes and can give you advise. use upholstery pre-spray when cleaning upholstery and you will be fine. don't use carpet solution on upholstery and don't over spray if its delicate fabric. you can clean any type of rug if use right solution. For example I always use green type of solution with low PH on any type of rug. Don't over spray area rug. Use wool rug pre spray on wool rugs. Use cotton friendly solution on cotton rugs. I had few problems with area rugs when started because used wrong solution.
I'm not going to look for all your posts , but I like to address your trial & error process. Sure, we all go through that in some point, but never with basic stuff, like applying high alkaline prespray to any upholstery ( not only delicate fabric)
My point is that we learn before we earn. Another " advice " of yours is not to overcharge. Righ price is relative term.
You're lucky that our " dogs " are asleep, otherwise they'll have fun with you .
You seem to know it all, you're manager and your perception of rest of us is very
diluted.
You're claiming to use low PH prespray on rugs, would be nice if you're more specific. I use browning treatment (2-4
on ph scale) that's low , you meant slightly acidic or you were going for neutral ( 7-8) because that still not to high. You see, where I'm going with this?
I don't meant to offend you with my statement, maybe it's your way of communication that evokes different vibe, I don't know

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I use to do carpet cleaning only and did that for about 5 years and it went very well for me. during that time I did nothing else but carpet, but I just could not stand seeing upholstery, low moisture, hard surface and rugs slip by along with the money.
I recommend getting certified in other areas to build up confidence and drive you to increase your income.

Last edited: