Anybody interested in a partnership in NYC's north/west suburbs in rug plant

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
We have been knocking ourselves out for many years doing commercial carpet and janitorial cleaning. While the work has been fairly steady, since 2011, the rates have not budged even a penny. We find ourselves working for essentially minimum wage.
Residential has been a nightmare. Advertising at $500 per month or more gets us about $200 worth of clicks that lead to no contact, another $200 worth of fraud from one or two competitors I consider mentally ill. About $100 worth of clicks that lead to perhaps $1,000 worth of work. You can't spend half your sales on advertising. We find most carpet to be <$2 per sf builder's grade crap some cheapskate want's cleaned. It is generally trashed.
Our bright spot has always been area rugs. I find my hourly rate to be more like $25-35 per hour and we are very careful with our advertising as to stay below the radar of competitors.
I am about to undertake a 250+ piece mailing for wholesale accounts. Then follow up with cold call personal visits about a week later. I don't want to get into specifics of who my targets are, but I will say where they are. About 150 in Putnam, Rockland and Westchester counties in NY. About 100 in Bergen and Passaic counties in NJ. I have a list of about another 100 NJ targets who will launch a month later after the first batch. This includes parts of Essex, Morris, Hudson and a little bit of Sussex counties. I have more distant plans for NYC that may not launch until late 2019 or 2020.
The point is, I have to get off the driveway and out of the portable garage. The volume is going to grow, or 2019 will be my last year cleaning.
My secret weapon is rapid cleaning of synthetic rugs, one that might be $3-5 per sf in purchase price. I call it "Mexican Artillery" and it is not up for public discussion. Nor are my water saving devices or any other techniques I have been developing to increase efficiency and lower costs. While one makes a lot more money on cleaning wool rugs that cost $20-40+ per sf, there is a huge number of cheap rugs. As for tufted rugs, I have very little good to say about them. I'm the one who breaks the news to the client that they are essentially disposable.
I am also a rug dealer online. That business just started six months ago, and that is not necessarily part of the deal, the margins are really good. If I leave the cleaning business, I will have time to grow rug sales.

If this is of interest, we can arrange an in person meeting in any of the areas I just mentioned. Thanks.

Peter Hewel

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
Did you take your color repair class with Cobra and Chris? I'll be eating lunch with Cobra this week, as we have been friends and neighbors for years and I have taken one of his classes. He will help me put things in perspective and find a path forward.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Don't know details
..and the ups and downs of your area....
But sounds like you need to specialize and target a smaller market...
Raise your prices a little....
Lower your overhead....

Streamline your business.....
Less expenses less gross profit..
Larger % net profit......
Less headaches...

Sounds difficult but it can be done in 2 years....

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
they had valid points

regarding this deal
They attacked without provocation. I asked for interested parties to have a private conversation. I've committed no crime nor insulted anyone. They pounce like the socially retarded people they must be. Obviously we have nothing to talk about of any value, so let's end this conversation. My time is too valuable to participate in made up drama.

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
Don't know details
..and the ups and downs of your area....
But sounds like you need to specialize and target a smaller market...
Raise your prices a little....
Lower your overhead....

Streamline your business.....
Less expenses less gross profit..
Larger % net profit......
Less headaches...

Sounds difficult but it can be done in 2 years....
That's exactly my intent. Move away from the work that isn't worthwhile is my 2019 goal. The other goal is to save water in my rug washing, which I've been working on for about a year now and have made some progress. I enlisted the help of a neighbor who was working on his AS in chemistry at the local community college when we had a discussion about surfactants. He referred to something as "blowing up the soil" so as a joke I call it Mexican Artillery because he is a Mexican American. Wouldn't use it on wool ever. Too sudsy to use for carpet cleaning, so sudsy, I have now become concerned with water usage.

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
If Doug Heiferman, the “Cobra” will genuinely stand behind the guy then it’s 100% solid. In fact I recall Cobra asking people a little while back if anyone was interested in a deal on the east coast. May not be the same company however. Alls I know is if you know Cobra and he gives the thumbs up, I’d trust him no matter what.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

your good sons

Apr 11, 2011
Real Name
bye
Business Location
United States
If Doug Heiferman, the “Cobra” will genuinely stand behind the guy then it’s 100% solid. In fact I recall Cobra asking people a little while back if anyone was interested in a deal on the east coast. May not be the same company however. Alls I know is if you know Cobra and he gives the thumbs up, I’d trust him no matter what.
I appreciate that. Must be another deal Doug is talking about. Doug just knows that I am presently at a roadblock and desperate to fix it. Doug lives in the next town to my southeast. I am certain he can attest to the difficult market we live in. My failures and shortcomings are not 100% my fault, nor are they 100% the fault of the area. I've got some ideas. To be honest, that is more valuable than the cash. I am about to make 250+ cold calls in person after mailing 250+ postcards to break the ice. I'd be a liar if I didn't say this is going to be easy or doesn't scare the crap out of me. A lot is riding on my success or failure right now.

Last edited:

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I grew up a bit south of you guys in northern NJ. Sussex Co. as you mentioned. Yea I think Doug was talking about a place on Long Island.
I just jumped in here cause if anybody thinks your bluffing Doug’s a industry known guy who’s word is as good as it gets. This year I’ll be headed out your way to spend a couple of days with the Cobra if all works out.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
My life is not available for public ridicule. Private ridicule is OK. Constructive criticism is actually welcome.
Fair enough. Good luck.

BTW.. I used to do quite a bit of work for Stark in Manhattan years ago.
Sutton as well. You might want to try networking with them. Cant hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I know for me personally it's all about the medium. Seeing a post asking about interested partnership simply puts me a little on the cautious side - I would assume there are plenty of local guys in your area you would have connections with. Would take a while to build that with someone meeting online