Any HydraMaster Rotary DriMaster owners out there? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Any HydraMaster Rotary DriMaster owners out there?

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
What do you think of it overall? I am seeing it for sale for 3200 on jondon. Just want to hear the pros and cons before I decide.

nuvoclean

Aug 13, 2009
BC
www.nuvoclean.com
Real Name
David Marryatt
Business Location
Canada
What do you think of it overall? I am seeing it for sale for 3200 on jondon. Just want to hear the pros and cons before I decide.
Rotary's are a nice tool to have for the odd time you need one. Pain in the butt (imho) for daily use. I haven't pulled mine out for a year or so... come to think of it, I have a RotoVac PowerWand I could sell you for $1000. obo

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
My brother loves that thing for everything but CGD. When I was with him, it was problematic, but he said he hasn't had a problem for well over a year with it. It did clean very well, I was just put off by the maintenance it needed. Apparently that's not an issue anymore for him.

One problem is, the device has been discontinued for several years. Getting parts might not be easy in the future.

One advantage is it looks a lot more professional than a Rotovac, which looks like a toy by comparison. I still think the RX-20 has the most impressive appearance, but the DriMaster still looks good enough.

I found it easy to use, even for a beginner.

I don't remember if we used it with his portables though. It has a lot of flow, so it might not be well suited for a 2-vac portable. But, with his TMs, it was a very, very effective cleaner. I would have to say it's better than a Rotovac on residential, and far better than the RX-20. I never used it on CGD, basically because my brother had already determined the RX-20 was the best tool for that.

I would PM him, as he can answer this stuff much better than I can. I used it, and I know his opinion, but he has real knowledge of the machine. And, overall, he considers it an excellent machine.

Reactions: sbsscn

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
My brother loves that thing for everything but CGD. When I was with him, it was problematic, but he said he hasn't had a problem for well over a year with it. It did clean very well, I was just put off by the maintenance it needed. Apparently that's not an issue anymore for him.

One problem is, the device has been discontinued for several years. Getting parts might not be easy in the future.

One advantage is it looks a lot more professional than a Rotovac, which looks like a toy by comparison. I still think the RX-20 has the most impressive appearance, but the DriMaster still looks good enough.

I found it easy to use, even for a beginner.

I don't remember if we used it with his portables though. It has a lot of flow, so it might not be well suited for a 2-vac portable. But, with his TMs, it was a very, very effective cleaner. I would have to say it's better than a Rotovac on residential, and far better than the RX-20. I never used it on CGD, basically because my brother had already determined the RX-20 was the best tool for that.

I would PM him, as he can answer this stuff much better than I can. I used it, and I know his opinion, but he has real knowledge of the machine. And, overall, he considers it an excellent machine.
Thanks for the input Tank. If I buy one it would be used at a good price because you say it has been discontinued. I do like the fact that it dries really good and doesn't splash. And it's lightweight too.

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
Don't buy one....I had one that ALWAYS had problems.....hard to get parts for and very expinsive to repair....I know where ca get a very lightly used one, I think their asking 1k....

We run Rotovac360i and a RX20...I've run them both with 0 problems..

Also found the drimaster rotory doesn't give a super deep clean as the others...just my opinion

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
ASAP is correct that it does not clean very deeply but that is only true of a stock machine. Barely anybody knows how to modify them to clean well. I just happened to figure out a way and in the process, make it the best rotary made for residential carpet. I had one unit that was constantly giving me problems, nothing serious but annoying as hell (my brother mentioned it). Once I overhauled the whole thing, it never gave me a problem again. The other units I own (I have about 6 of them) have been extremely reliable.

Set up the right way, they are in a class by themselves but you can buy a RV360i, plug it in and do just fine. Rotary machines are certainly nice to have but they can also run you out of business if you don't charge enough to use them and/or if using one makes your price too high compared to your competition. Be careful about what you wish for.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We need a rotary shoot out! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
What are the mods that you made? Or is that a trade secret?
I have a RDM and like it for residential. Makes it easy to get under and around tables and beds.
Would not use it unless the portable has auto fill auto dump.
I do know with a TM there is not reason for a dry pass. If you go over an area for a dry pass there is nothing in the site tube.
ASAP is correct that it does not clean very deeply but that is only true of a stock machine. Barely anybody knows how to modify them to clean well. I just happened to figure out a way and in the process, make it the best rotary made for residential carpet. I had one unit that was constantly giving me problems, nothing serious but annoying as hell (my brother mentioned it). Once I overhauled the whole thing, it never gave me a problem again. The other units I own (I have about 6 of them) have been extremely reliable.

Set up the right way, they are in a class by themselves but you can buy a RV360i, plug it in and do just fine. Rotary machines are certainly nice to have but they can also run you out of business if you don't charge enough to use them and/or if using one makes your price too high compared to your competition. Be careful about what you wish for.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I will supply the rotaries and the women.
I'm cool with the rotaries but the women...I'll see if my wife will give me permission. But I wouldn't bet on it. Over the last 32 years she had said no everytime. She can be such a stick in the mud at times. :)~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Deron's modified his. Something to do with the flow. We had three at the company I used to work for, and they SUCK. The water is not sprayed into the carpet, it's sprayed so that it hits a plate, and the vaccuum pulls it across the plate in a shearing action. Very similar to upholstery tools in the manner it works. Therefore, it does not flush the carpet as well as the other rotaries.

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
What about the Drimaster upholstery tool guys? I am starting to get into steamcleaning the carpets in vehicles and of course need an outstanding dry time plus a user friendly tool that gets in hard to reach places. Should I go with Drimaster or Saphire?

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Neither one is for hard to reach places. The cleaning heads are shaped incorrectly. You'll have to have multiple cleaning heads for car detailing, too.

Don't get the new Drimaster upholstery tool. There's a metal piece that will come loose, and the plastic underneath can grap fabric. Go with the SS. I've got it, and it's awesome.

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
Neither one is for hard to reach places. The cleaning heads are shaped incorrectly. You'll have to have multiple cleaning heads for car detailing, too.

Don't get the new Drimaster upholstery tool. There's a metal piece that will come loose, and the plastic underneath can grap fabric. Go with the SS. I've got it, and it's awesome.
Metal piece on the Drimaster comes loose and plastic underneath can grab the fabric??? YECK......that doesn't sound good at all. Where is the best place to order the Saphire at?

LFC

Premium VIP
Oct 8, 2009
England
www.kleenrightuk.co.uk
Real Name
Mike McNally
Business Location
United Kingdom
Metal piece on the Drimaster comes loose and plastic underneath can grab the fabric??? YECK......that doesn't sound good at all. Where is the best place to order the Saphire at?
Joseph is spot on with the metal bit coming loose, you have to be very careful not to snag the upholstery, and that's easier said than done with some fabrics. The tool it self is very good, just a shame about that metal piece.

ASAP

Feb 1, 2011
Ca
Real Name
Pete DLP
Business Location
United States
What about the Drimaster upholstery tool guys? I am starting to get into steamcleaning the carpets in vehicles and of course need an outstanding dry time plus a user friendly tool that gets in hard to reach places. Should I go with Drimaster or Saphire?
Don't use a dri-master hand tool anywhere where the bottom plate will get dented or scratched... Water will flow be interrupted.... Then when you really need it for doing couches it WILL streak your work.... Just buy a cheat hand tool for cars... It will get tore up fast.

LarryJones

Mar 12, 2012
Florida
Real Name
Larry Jones
Business Location
United States
Don't use a dri-master hand tool anywhere where the bottom plate will get dented or scratched... Water will flow be interrupted.... Then when you really need it for doing couches it WILL streak your work.... Just buy a cheat hand tool for cars... It will get tore up fast.
Good point Pete. Great advice and I will heed it. Thanks and you and Amanda have a great weekend! :)

Deron06

Deron
Premium VIP
Sep 25, 2010
Real Name
Deron Najarian
Business Location
United States
The Sapphire upholstery tool is excellent. The Hydramaster Drimaster upholstery tool is horrible. I have two new ones sitting on a shelf in my warehouse. My personal favorite is the ProChem upholstery tool but only when it has a glide on it. It is by far my favorite with a glide; fast, easy and bulletproof.