Any Advice Would Be Great

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
Hello my name is Dan, I'm new to this forum and would love some advice. I'm looking to start up a carpet cleaning business in Orlando FL, but I am completely new to this. I'm a fast learner and would really like to start my own business. I have done mechanical work, plumbing, construction, and worked a little in customer service. I have around 8-10k that I am looking to invest to start things off. I know that's not a lot, but I'm going to be looking for a used setup on Craigslist; But I honestly don't know what is worth looking at for that price range. Like i said before, I don't have any experience in the field, so i was looking into the iicrc course, I just don't know if its worth taking right now, or until I get some experience in the field. I'm also not sure how much the course costs. I will be looking to get the whole set up in a few weeks and thought this would be a good place to get some advice.

Thank you for your time

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
I figured that i would start with business cards, door hangers, flyers. Also I have about 200 family members that live here in Orlando, and was hoping that they will talk to their friends and generate some business for me. I really don't know if this will work, I am just hopeful. I am also in college part time, and taking a business class, so hoping that that will help me out a little bit on the business end. Also my mom is a manager at one of the apartment complex's here and said as long as I get licensed and insured that i will have their business. The only thing is each unit would be about 65$ each at around 7-8 a month. I figured just getting started, with that and hopefully with some more business a month in the beginning wouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: StevenB.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Take the basic IICRC carpet cleaning class before you get behind the wand. You'll be glad you did and you'll clean with more confidence, which will make you more money. And be sure to get a good vacuum cleaner, not your mom's hoover... I know that sounds petty compared to getting a tm, but you'll thank me for it later, trust me;)

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
The idea of starting a business with no practical experience baffles me. I've been cleaning 3-5 houses a day for a year and I still run into learning experiences all the time.

If I were you I would seek part time employment with a carpet cleaning company, get certified and then build your business.

Not to be negative. There is just a lot of variables when it comes to fabric types, and customer types too.

Joseph Rogers

Premium VIP
Dec 9, 2010
VA
Real Name
Jim Bob
Business Location
United States
Not going to suggest you play hardball with your mom (and yes, that's going to open the door for all manner of horrible mom jokes), BUT...

http://www.truckmountforums.com/thr...artment-complexes-and-make-money-at-it.34787/

First things first. If you're going to start a business, find the local SBA or SBDC. You need to hammer out the basics of a business plan at the very least. Who your target market is, how you'll market to them (marketing is generating leads) and how you'll close the sales once you generate the leads.

The gig with your mom's apt. complex sounds like it could be a big help, if you do it right. You'll want to spend some of your money on marketing materials, too. Find a graphic designer, see if they'll trade work.

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
The idea of starting a business with no practical experience baffles me. I've been cleaning 3-5 houses a day for a year and I still run into learning experiences all the time.

If I were you I would seek part time employment with a carpet cleaning company, get certified and then build your business.

Not to be negative. There is just a lot of variables when it comes to fabric types, and customer types too.

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on just starting up the machine and going in there blind. The only issue I have with trying to get a job with a carpet cleaner is I have school. I was thinking about taking the course and then I was thinking about looking for someone with experience to hire and pay most of the earnings for a little while, just to get some experience. I have tried to get a job, and most of them want me available all the time, which wont work with my schedule.

Thanks for the advise

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
Not going to suggest you play hardball with your mom (and yes, that's going to open the door for all manner of horrible mom jokes), BUT...

http://www.truckmountforums.com/thr...artment-complexes-and-make-money-at-it.34787/

First things first. If you're going to start a business, find the local SBA or SBDC. You need to hammer out the basics of a business plan at the very least. Who your target market is, how you'll market to them (marketing is generating leads) and how you'll close the sales once you generate the leads.

The gig with your mom's apt. complex sounds like it could be a big help, if you do it right. You'll want to spend some of your money on marketing materials, too. Find a graphic designer, see if they'll trade work.
Thanks for the advise, I know I have a lot of work to do before I even try to clean a carpet. That's why i came on here to get everyone's input. I definitely appreciate it.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The IICRC course is definitely needed, but you will get a lot more out of the course if you have actually cleaned a few carpets before you take the class. Maybe family and friends or see if the local distributor, Crown, will let you demo a portable or truckmount. Crown may also know of good used equipment for sale. Check their information board.

The class will cost about $300. Right now the fee for certification is an additional $50. That will go up by $15 February 1st. Crown may be holding a class, check with them for schedule. Interlink Supply in Tampa also holds a carpet cleaning class at least once a year.

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
The IICRC course is definitely needed, but you will get a lot more out of the course if you have actually cleaned a few carpets before you take the class. Maybe family and friends or see if the local distributor, Crown, will let you demo a portable or truckmount. Crown may also know of good used equipment for sale. Check their information board.

The class will cost about $300. Right now the fee for certification is an additional $50. That will go up by $15 February 1st. Crown may be holding a class, check with them for schedule. Interlink Supply in Tampa also holds a carpet cleaning class at least once a year.
Thanks for the advice, My step father actually works for Crown, he mainly does the embroidery there, but I just called him and he told me to come in and they will help out with everything, and also let me demo whatever they have. He also said he would get me hooked up with courses too.

Reactions: Joseph Rogers

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Thanks for the advise, I know I have a lot of work to do before I even try to clean a carpet. That's why i came on here to get everyone's input. I definitely appreciate it.
You're at the right place here, Dan. This board (and even a guy named Scott Warrington) will be a huge resource for you.

Getting experience, trained and certified are all good things. But at some point you just gotta say "What the heck" and go for it! Otherwise you can fall into the old "paralysis by analysis" trap.

One more resource for new entrepreneurs (and old ones too!) is our "Just Starting Out" section on the SFS website. Everything there is free and focused on getting you started right by making that phone ring right from the git-go!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Dan, you might also give Jason Rosales at our Tampa Bay branch a call. (800-201-6313 or 727-570-8700) Jason, TJ, Whitt and the gang have a huge amount of experience in getting new start-ups off the ground. I don't know if any seats are still available but we are putting on our SFS seminar there next week (1/28- 2/1) which would cut many YEARS off your at times very painful learning curve. Check out what our past attendees have to say on this HERE.

Dan25

Premium VIP
Jan 17, 2013
Orlando Florida
carpetcleaningoviedo.com
Real Name
Dan Levitt
You're at the right place here, Dan. This board (and even a guy named Scott Warrington) will be a huge resource for you.

Getting experience, trained and certified are all good things. But at some point you just gotta say "What the heck" and go for it! Otherwise you can fall into the old "paralysis by analysis" trap.

One more resource for new entrepreneurs (and old ones too!) is our "Just Starting Out" section on the SFS website. Everything there is free and focused on getting you started right by making that phone ring right from the git-go!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS Dan, you might also give Jason Rosales at our Tampa Bay branch a call. (800-201-6313 or 727-570-8700) Jason, TJ, Whitt and the gang have a huge amount of experience in getting new start-ups off the ground. I don't know if any seats are still available but we are putting on our SFS seminar there next week (1/28- 2/1) which would cut many YEARS off your at times very painful learning curve. Check out what our past attendees have to say on this HERE.
Thanks I will Definitely look into the SFS seminar

Shawn Abbey

Nov 20, 2008
Oregon
Real Name
Shawn Abbey
Thanks I will Definitely look into the SFS seminar
Definitely do the SFS seminar! It will get you motivated on how to start, establish, and grow your business. I only wish I took the class sooner.

I would also encourage you to take the IICRC class as soon as possible. The apartments will be a GREAT training and proving ground to establish and hone your skills in cleaning, repair, odor control, and maybe a water damage or two. I would also discourage you to hire someone to do the work at first. I started with NO experience. Just sheer ambition mixed with three parts naiveté, and a touch of craziness. Once I purchased my truck mount, I got the basics from the company I bought it from, then cleaned my Parents home (free) my home, and started on the first Apartment complex I landed. After each job, I gathered my questions, and hit the bulletin boards (AOL back then!), and started asking questions. Each time, I was able to hone my skills into a better business, and a better outlook. Once I took the IICRC class, I was on my way. That IICRC class will be foundational!

In my opinion, take the class as soon as you can get in, AND take the SFS seminar. Trust me, Steve T. will knock your socks off. I didn't sleep once in his class!

Shawn

Reactions: aloha one

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
$8,000- $10,000 doesn't sound like alot of money. If you take the leap to start I suggest purchasing the ride along video that this site sells. Purchase used equipment that looks new so if you decide or realize you made a mistake you can resell for the price you paid for it. Great luck to you.

Hello my name is Dan, I'm new to this forum and would love some advice. I'm looking to start up a carpet cleaning business in Orlando FL, but I am completely new to this. I'm a fast learner and would really like to start my own business. I have done mechanical work, plumbing, construction, and worked a little in customer service. I have around 8-10k that I am looking to invest to start things off. I know that's not a lot, but I'm going to be looking for a used setup on Craigslist; But I honestly don't know what is worth looking at for that price range. Like i said before, I don't have any experience in the field, so i was looking into the iicrc course, I just don't know if its worth taking right now, or until I get some experience in the field. I'm also not sure how much the course costs. I will be looking to get the whole set up in a few weeks and thought this would be a good place to get some advice.

Thank you for your time
Before you do any of that you really need some hands on experience....believe me I know. I understand your vision and determination is there however nothing will replace experience in the field. Maybe ride along with another cleaner for a few weeks, you'll get training and perspective. Best of Luck!!!

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Maybe ride along with another cleaner for a few weeks, you'll get training and perspective. Best of Luck!!!
Not a bad idea. BUT choose your cleaner carefully. Not everyone is a TMF quality cleaner. Just search the word "hack" on here to see some hair-raising stories...

Steve

PS Dan, you might also read the "Just Starting Out" help HERE.