Tiana B

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
Tiana borne
Hello all!
New to forum and just getting started in this business.

Right now I have Sandia 1200 without heat. I know it's made for hard surfaces but if I do use it at 400 psi, will I be able to clean carpets without overwetting them?

It there anyway to add heat?

Also is there any way to add a 50ft vac hose to this machine? It has a 1-2 stage and 1-3 stage vac?

Would it be possible to switch to a 50 ft water pressure hose?

I've read and learned a lot on this forum and would appreciate everyone's feedback!
Thank you!

Reactions: sunrisecarpet951

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Yes, you can clean at 400 PSI and have fine results. Watch the jets on your wand. If over-wetting occurs, that could be the cause. You want 6 flow or less with the vacuum arrangement. Be sure jets are not worn. You can't tell by looking. They just need to be replaced on a regular basis.

You can use 50' vacuum hose with any portable. The real question is how good of results do you want to get and how quickly do you want to get there. The vacuums are modest, not bad, just not great. With every extra foot of vacuum hose you will lose some suction. (Even the way the vacuum hose is laying while working has an effect.)

Vacuum is the key to getting out the soil, the dirty water, the spent cleaning solution. I like as much vacuum as possible. I would keep the vacuum to 25' or less if it was me. Any longer and you either settle for poorer results or you need to do a lot of slow passes to recover soil and water and this really slows you down.

Heat can be added in several ways.
  • There are add on heaters that go in the solution line. They require 1 or 2 additional electric circuits. That can be a lot of different circuits to find in some homes. Also a lot of cords to manage. If you go this route, Mytee makes a good heater.
  • Bucket heater can preheat the water before you put it in the fresh water tank. Pretty simple and inexpensive. But it may shorten the life of your pump due to hot water running through the pump. It won't kill your pump right away, but some seals may need to be replaced sooner than otherwise.
  • You can start with hotter tap water if available. Same potential pump issue.
  • There are gas and propane fired heaters. It may be necessary for these to be set-up outside the building. Check local regulations. Also pricey.

Reactions: Kyle8

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Hello all!

Right now I have Sandia 1200 without heat. I know it's made for hard surfaces but if I do use it at 400 psi, will I be able to clean carpets without overwetting them?

Also is there any way to add a 50ft vac hose to this machine? It has a 1-2 stage and 1-3 stage vac?

I've read and learned a lot on this forum and would appreciate everyone's feedback!
Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

To answer your first question - YES! 400 psi is more than enough to clean carpets. In fact, with proper agitation you could turn that down to 300 to 200 psi. Even 100.

To answer question #2 - YES again. Simply buy an external heater. But be warned, you will need yet another outlet to handle that load. I personally believe that all things being equal, agitation is gives you much better results than heat and faster too.

To answer question #3 - I have used 75 feet with a lesser vac capability set up back in my pre-historic days of portable steam cleaning, so you should be fine as long as the hose is pulling water from the same floor or down. Trying to run 50 feet from a basement up a floor can be done, but the results will be wetter carpets.

To answer question #4 - Yes.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Now go buy a 175 floor machine, or an Oreck orbiter and you won't have to worry about most of those questions.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Yes, you can clean at 400 PSI and have fine results. Watch the jets on your wand. If over-wetting occurs, that could be the cause. You want 6 flow or less with the vacuum arrangement. Be sure jets are not worn. You can't tell by looking. They just need to be replaced on a regular basis.

You can use 50' vacuum hose with any portable. The real question is how good of results do you want to get and how quickly do you want to get there. The vacuums are modest, not bad, just not great. With every extra foot of vacuum hose you will lose some suction. (Even the way the vacuum hose is laying while working has an effect.)

Vacuum is the key to getting out the soil, the dirty water, the spent cleaning solution. I like as much vacuum as possible. I would keep the vacuum to 25' or less if it was me. Any longer and you either settle for poorer results or you need to do a lot of slow passes to recover soil and water and this really slows you down.

Heat can be added in several ways.
  • There are add on heaters that go in the solution line. They require 1 or 2 additional electric circuits. That can be a lot of different circuits to find in some homes. Also a lot of cords to manage. If you go this route, Mytee makes a good heater.
  • Bucket heater can preheat the water before you put it in the fresh water tank. Pretty simple and inexpensive. But it may shorten the life of your pump due to hot water running through the pump. It won't kill your pump right away, but some seals may need to be replaced sooner than otherwise.
  • You can start with hotter tap water if available. Same potential pump issue.
  • There are gas and propane fired heaters. It may be necessary for these to be set-up outside the building. Check local regulations. Also pricey.

Ha ha ha. You sly dog. You beat me to it. ;):D(y)

Tiana B

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
Tiana borne
Thank you very much for your responses!

If I covert to the 2inch vac hoses does that effect the suction by increasing it or decreasing it?

I also bought a rotovac XL but have not tried to use it yet. I know you can use different rotarys for it but I've read on another post the tile and grout one is pure crap? Any advise?
Will the pad ones work for lvm?

Reactions: Common janitor

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Two inch vac hose is always better . Less resistance for the water to get back to the machine . Are you speaking to VLM ?? Know nothing about the Rotovac , sorry .
Old Carpet Vet ( Richard ) gave you some sage advice about acquiring a 175 or an Oreck Orbitor for agitation . They work well for VLM and MANY other jobs cleaning .
All the Best , Ed

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

VAIL

Jun 16, 2017
Real Name
RICK VAIL
Hello all!

Thank you!
you can run 100 ft of pressure line with that kind of psi its your suction line you want to keep short never run more than 200 psi with these types of machines its hard to get hot boxes that last they usually fail or there is not enough power to run it in house instead get a rotary shampooer it is a rotary brush that injects cleaning solutions into the brush and scrubs solution into carpet THIS IS STILL THE BEST CLEANING METHOD BECAUSE IT GETS THE CHEMICALS SO DEEP INTO THE FIBERS JUST TAKES LONGER MY FIRST MACHINE WAS A DUAL VAC 500 PSI PORTABLE WITH A RX 20 IT HAS OVER 2000 HOURS ON IT I ONLY RAN IT A 150 PSI BECAUSE THE RX/20 USES A LOT OF WATER YOU HAVE TO GO OVER THE CARPET 2 TIMES FIRST WITH RX 20 THEN CORNERS AND DRY-PASS WITH WAND LEAVING TO MUCH WATER IN CARPETS WILL RUIN YOUR NAME! I CAN LEAD YOU TO THE POND BUT I CANT TEACH YOU HOW TO CATCH FISH THIS YOU MUST LEARN FOR YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE NO NAME YOU ARE NOTHING YOU WANT TO MAKE A NAME FOR YOURSELF AND HOW YOU DO THAT IS YOU LISTEN TO ME FIRST YOUR GOING TO GET SOME PRO-CHEM TRAFFIC LANE CLEANER READ THE DIRECTIONS ALWAYS MIX FOR HEAVY SOIL YOU WILL ALSO NEED SOME PRO-CHEM RENOVATE FOR SOOT AND AIR FILTRATION THIS WILL BE FOR YOUR SPOTTER AND BAD TRAFFIC AREAS MIX 1 OZ TO A SPOTTER BOTTLE PRE-SPRAY THAN GO OVER TRAFFIC AREAS WITH SPOTTER SCRUB WITH BRUSH TO SOAPY FILM APPEARS THAN RINSE WITH PROCHEM FIBER RINSE IT IS A GREAT EMULSIFIER LAST BUT NOT LEAST TAKE A PIECE OF PAPER TOWEL PRESS FIRMLY ON CARPET IF IT COMES UP WET YOUR NOT DONE DRY-PASS TILL PAPER TOWEL IS DRY YOU WILL NEED TO DRY PASS THE AREAS MORE THAT YOU SPEND MORE TIME ON REMEMBER THE SIGN OF A REAL PRO IS THE DRYING TIME !

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 136

Tiana B

Jun 21, 2017
Real Name
Tiana borne
Also I have a 100 gal water tank but it plastic. Would I be able to heat water in there in any way?

Also using extension cords, it is okay to use for the sandia?
Will I be able to connect to the extensions to a generator?
I'm not trying to constantly be moving the machine around the house.

Mechanic help!
The machine has an auto fill but it is not filling up with water. I can hear the water running and drops will enter the tank but not efficiently where I still have to use buckets to fill. Would replacing the pressure line fix this or would it be the pump?

Sorry for so many questions!
For anyone doing this part time, how do you market when you have limited availablilies when you work another full time job. Do you just give them the available times you have? I'm assuming most of which carpets are done in the mornings and have night jobs. I'm trying to focus more on commercial jobs right now due to working full time in the mornings. My evenings are free after 3pm but I don't know how to market that for residential clients?

Also pricing a commercial question. I have a restaurant with 10 locations, hard surface floors only , no carpet. Their previous cleaner would charge $100 per store, different sizes, per month. He would spend an hour at each location but had horrible results and used a TM. I'm located in LA with tons of competition. I know the owner so I do have a better chance at obtaining the job but he's looking for a cheaper price. I don't want to do free labor as it will take me more time for better results but may offer him every 3 months instead of monthly. *btw I'm not stealing this account. They have already stopped service from previous cleaner and not been cleaned for 5 months now*

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Regarding the size of ones "Vacuum Hose" really depends on the particular kind/type, and amount of suction you have on a machine. Now, we prefer 2" vac hoses on our equipment because it was designed to handle it efficiently.
However, just off the cuff switching to a larger 2" hose will not necessarily help in your situation. I mean, why not up grade to a 3" hose, and so on.

Bottom line, I would suggest staying (again, in your situation based on the specifications) with 50' x 1 1/2" hose. You see, 2" vac hose offers "Volume"--must have the extraction performance here--; while, 1 1/2" vac hose offers "Velocity" ----more likely to help lower performances.

Hope this helps;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Also I have a 100 gal water tank but it plastic. Would I be able to heat water in there in any way?

Also using extension cords, it is okay to use for the sandia?
Will I be able to connect to the extensions to a generator?
I'm not trying to constantly be moving the machine around the house.

Mechanic help!
The machine has an auto fill but it is not filling up with water. I can hear the water running and drops will enter the tank but not efficiently where I still have to use buckets to fill. Would replacing the pressure line fix this or would it be the pump?

Sorry for so many questions!
For anyone doing this part time, how do you market when you have limited availablilies when you work another full time job. Do you just give them the available times you have? I'm assuming most of which carpets are done in the mornings and have night jobs. I'm trying to focus more on commercial jobs right now due to working full time in the mornings. My evenings are free after 3pm but I don't know how to market that for residential clients?

Also pricing a commercial question. I have a restaurant with 10 locations, hard surface floors only , no carpet. Their previous cleaner would charge $100 per store, different sizes, per month. He would spend an hour at each location but had horrible results and used a TM. I'm located in LA with tons of competition. I know the owner so I do have a better chance at obtaining the job but he's looking for a cheaper price. I don't want to do free labor as it will take me more time for better results but may offer him every 3 months instead of monthly. *btw I'm not stealing this account. They have already stopped service from previous cleaner and not been cleaned for 5 months now*

Yes you can use extension cords. 12awg minimum. Try not to go longer then 50' each. Plug in bathrooms, behind washer, kitchen counter these are usually dedicated circuits. Or can buy a mytee splitter box and use 240v dryer outlet but must use splitter box on it.
Commercial circuits mostly are all dedicated. You can plug in on one wall the plug in on wall opposite and good chance its separate. Best to locate box first and see if its labeled to make it easier on you. And so you can reset it they like to lock that area up.

Generator you can use but it must be sized for the power requirements for your machine.

Your auto fill i dont know. First ide check if it was clogged or corroded.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The two posts above had great information for some of your questions.

As to marketing. Always promote yourself as unique or different from other cleaners "T's Carpet Cleaning We offer night and week end service"

Make it a positive, not a negative. You offer something they may not get from other cleaning services. Find the market that appreciates it. Offices that need to be cleaned at night when no one is working. Home-owners that want service on the weekend when they are home, not while they are at work. Many do not want a new carpet cleaner, someone who is a total stranger coming into the home while they are gone. (Once they get to know and trust you, that may be fine, but who wants to pick a random advertisement and let that person into their home.)

When pricing you restaurant, don't forget your time to pack-up your equipment, drive to the restaurant, load back up at the end of the job, drive home, clean up your equipment and so forth. I would not be doing any job for less than $100.