Another fresh water pump bites the dust. Looking for recommended pump.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I purchased a new Shurflo just last May 19'th and it appears to be out as of today so that's less than a year. It worked fine while it was working, but took out in the middle of a job today. Fortunately, I had easy access to a water hook up and got it finished. Does anyone know of a better, more reliable pump? The pump I've been using is a 45 psi pump with 10 amps. I cannot go over 10 amps under any circumstances. My machine simply can't handle over that.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
If you have a pump with a microswitch id bet your pump is still good its the microswitch that went out. I went thru god knows how many of the pumps with the microswitch. Switched to and internal bypass demand pump and they last for years without issue. Microswitch ones burn up the switch due to constant cycling on and off.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If you have a pump with a microswitch id bet your pump is still good its the microswitch that went out. I went thru god knows how many of the pumps with the microswitch. Switched to and internal bypass demand pump and they last for years without issue. Microswitch ones burn up the switch due to constant cycling on and off.
It does have what I think is called a pressure switch. Would you mind giving me the make and model of the pump you're using? If it's over 10 amps though I can't use it. Been there and done that and it won't work for me.

This is the pump I have now. I think that's just a regular pressure switch on it. https://www.pentair.com/en/products..._series_diaphragm_pumps/sku/2088-443-144.html
Pentair SHURflo 2088-443-144

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
That's a 5-7 year pump. I can recommend a small difference in plumbing that will extend the life of the pump, put at least 10 feet of hose ahead of the pump to the destination. What this does is acts as a bladder tank as the hose breaks in and "stores" ½ gallon ahead of the pump already pressurized. < that sounds dumb for a moment. Run a spraying systems in line filter at least 5 feet off the intake side is a good idea as well.

We eliminated our water box on our slide in and have never been happier. I know that is not possible with most machines because they rely on heating the water prior to pressurization, but giving the freshwater pump distance and the high pressure pump bypass hose an extra 10 feet before reentry makes for a happy system.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
yah, the ones that run constantly are better. They had them on the old Water Ponds but when SS took over they went back to the switch ones with the pressure tank :mad: Grrrrr

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Aquatic transfer pump. no pressure switch to go bad. It bypasses internally. I have customers who have been running for 3 years or more no issues.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Aquatic transfer pump. no pressure switch to go bad. It bypasses internally. I have customers who have been running for 3 years or more no issues.
Isn't that the same thing as @SRD was suggesting? It's internal bypass too. Could you give me brand & model on it? Also, do those require anything special to hook them up or basically the same as the one I'm using?