Another Chemistry Quiz | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Another Chemistry Quiz

Steven8262

Aug 28, 2019
Real Name
Steven Schafer
I'm into my 3rd month with my truck mount and have managed to pay for it each month (and get it to fit in the garage). Most of my work seems to be abused carpet. I work for a lot of landlords so most of the work is rental properties. I have a 370SS. When I started I was using Grand Slam as a pre-spray and then Chemspec Dynaforce with Biosolve in the Solution line. I wasn't totally happy with the results in the traffic lanes so I tried Matrix Finish First with a Chemspec Booster in the solution line. While it worked pretty good I felt the residue might have been a bit much. My Jon-Don guy suggest that I try Grand Slam with Citrus force and get rid of detergent in the solution line and switch to All Fiber rinse in my solution line. So right out of the gate, I have a 15 year old white carpet. The results were pretty good but I am thinking a more aggressive chemistry would have done better. If I want to keep the all fiber rinse in the solution, how do I introduce a detergent into the pre-spray or will I have to do it in the solution line and then go back and spray with all fiber rinse and then do a fresh water rinse? That seems like it would double the time on job.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Personally I don't rely on the detergent for my cleaning, but I rely on the prespray and if needed a rotary extractor. I'd hate to do a lot of jobs w/o some kind of rotary extraction, especially at my age. Most jobs I use an appropriate prespray and either an acid rinse or shut the chemical line off and use plain water. On some carpets, neither a rinse or a detergent is really going to do any good. If you're going to use an acid rinse Matrix All Fiber Rinse works about as good as any. I think it's a great product. Btw, if you continue to use Grand Slam you need to realize it's not that easy to rinse, especially if you apply too much of it. You will need an acid rinse for the best results with that product. On lighter soiled carpets you can use less of it in your inline sprayer and still get the carpets very clean.

I have used a LOT of Grand Slam over the years. I almost NEVER follow the dilution directions for that product which are as follows : Dilutions: • Pump-Up Sprayer: Mix 4 ounces per gallon of water for light to medium soil. • Hydro-Force Sprayer: Mix 1.5 quarts per 3.5 quarts of water (4-oz dilution) or 2.5 quarts per 2.5 quarts of water (50/50 or 6-oz dilution). The higher you go on the dilution the harder it is to rinse. Trying to rinse that stuff out with a detergent is counterintuitive. In other words, your trying to rinse a detergent with a detergent. Doesn't work. If you're using the 1:8 inline sprayer I wouldn't put in more than 32 oz. for your typical cleaning at the most. I use 16 oz. in a 1:4 sprayer most of the time if I'm using a liquid and maybe 3 scoops if using a powder. A booster will help more than increasing the dilution of a product like Grand Slam. In other words, if it won't clean it at 4 oz. per gallon, it still won't at 6 oz. per gallon or 8 for that matter!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If https://shop.truckmountforums.com is your store try kleenrite klenz. I always had good results with it. Of course jon don is going to steer you in direction of matrix products. I only used their matrix miracle which i really liked. Can be used as booster too and not just with piss. Think it was 1 scoop per gal in pumpup. Not sure dilution for hydroforce. It can blow up your bottle so be careful when it expands. Leave lids loose. And matrix citrus force for grease only when needed. It was kinda hard to rinse i felt.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I think you got good advice to clean without detergent in the rinse for that situation. You might consider an acid rinse with a kick like Flex Ice.

Most presprays include some type of detergent. Just need to select the proper prespry. Then apply with sufficient heat, mechanical agitation and dwell time.

The "best" prespray in any situation will depend upon the type of soils present and the fiber being cleaned. BUt, most cleaners find two or three that cover the majority of situations.

I used Bridgepoint's Flex powder with Citrus Solv for many years. BUt, I know there are several other fine products as well. Rob likely has a suggestion from his line (which I don't know as well and have no experience using).

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I'm into my 3rd month with my truck mount and have managed to pay for it each month (and get it to fit in the garage). Most of my work seems to be abused carpet. I work for a lot of landlords so most of the work is rental properties. I have a 370SS. When I started I was using Grand Slam as a pre-spray and then Chemspec Dynaforce with Biosolve in the Solution line. I wasn't totally happy with the results in the traffic lanes so I tried Matrix Finish First with a Chemspec Booster in the solution line. While it worked pretty good I felt the residue might have been a bit much. My Jon-Don guy suggest that I try Grand Slam with Citrus force and get rid of detergent in the solution line and switch to All Fiber rinse in my solution line. So right out of the gate, I have a 15 year old white carpet. The results were pretty good but I am thinking a more aggressive chemistry would have done better. If I want to keep the all fiber rinse in the solution, how do I introduce a detergent into the pre-spray or will I have to do it in the solution line and then go back and spray with all fiber rinse and then do a fresh water rinse? That seems like it would double the time on job.
black label, bio pro 10k, you must have mechanical agitation on filthy carpets, flex ice to rinse, dry passes, eye for detail and you will increase your quality, this will increase your income per job.

Reactions: sbsscn

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Matrix products are relabeled pro chem products I thought. When I used them I thought they were good. Try this if you use them. 4-6 ounces of Grandslam with 1/2-1 ounce of Citrusforce and 1 scoop of Matrix Miracle per gallon. This is a pump up dilution mind you. As long as you mechanically scrub it in good it should knock out most residential situations aside from your heavy urine or total rat nasty stuff. You’ll have to move to an enzyme cleaner like powerburst for the heavy stuff.

Steven8262

Aug 28, 2019
Real Name
Steven Schafer
black label, bio pro 10k, you must have mechanical agitation on filthy carpets, flex ice to rinse, dry passes, eye for detail and you will increase your quality, this will increase your income per job.

I use a Bonzer and love it but the guys are Roto-vac would love me to buy a 360i

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
For years my go-to for everything was grand slam. If that wasn't going to cut it, I added in some power burst. Very few things could stand up to that that I ran into whether it was residential or commercial.

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
I'm going to give Flex with Citrus a try using All Fiber Rinse. We'll see

Flex is great but it’s fairly hard hitting
I would use Biobreak as your goto
Use it for carpets and upholstery
Thenflex ice rinse on everything
Sometimes if upholstery isn’t too dirty can just use flex ice through rinse just increase the concentration
If it’s olefin I tend to use half scoops biobreak half scoops Flex
eg for 6scoops I use 3 each

Flex ice is amazing
Can make urine treatment out of it
Wouldn’t like to be cleaning without it

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey
Sometimes if upholstery isn’t too dirty can just use flex ice through rinse just increase the concentration

Flex ice is amazing

I’d love to give TMF products a whirl but I’m too far away

Oops I did a Greg

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States

Flex ice is amazing

Biobreak is for organic soiling in carpet food/barf/piss

Flex is more effective against oils/tar from driveways/etc

Flex is higher PH, so a bit of caution there if you are working on a brand new carpet still under warranty.

Reactions: Scott W and Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I use a Bonzer and love it but the guys are Roto-vac would love me to buy a 360i
Ok so if you use the bonzer then you need to have a 175 or a crb to do a pre scrub only on those filthy carpets. If the bonzer is not mastered it won't be as effective as the wand.

Also if you will use the flex with citrus solv, that has a 12-13 ph, it might be too high for some carpet types, bio pro 10k or the tmf labels are under 10ph, and they clean nicely. It doesn't have to be tmf products but try to choose a cleaner less then 10ph so you can neutralize it with an ease. Not to mention tmf cleaners are also has the free rinsing.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat

Flex ice is amazing
I have used both bio break and bio pro 10k, huge difference, in most of the time with 10k I don't pre scrub and cleans poly carpets like there is no other day, with bio break I had to pre scrub most of the time to get great results, not so much effective cleaning poly carpets.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
i know there are a ton of what prespray do you use threads but I will put my two cents in here.

What I do is fill a 5 gallon pail with 4 gallons water. Then add 1 quart grand slam (Shake first) then add 1 cup Citrus Force and stir. Pour this into a Hydroforce (with filter strainer funnel) at 8 to 1 ratio.

I know this is minimal chemical but this is my stock prespray which will work on most lightly soiled carpets (80% of my work) and is easy to rinse.

If I get to a job where I need more *punch* I will add something to this stock solution that is already in the Hydroforce. Have found that Bio Pro 10K works well. If its really bad I will add some DeSolve All.

Apply, Brush Pro 17, wand with clear water rinse and groom.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Are you scrubbing the carpet?

You can move from chemical to chemical working your way through all of them and you will find most will give similar results. Adding in agitation will be your game changer.

Personally I don’t like running detergent through the solution line. Prespray the carpet with your hydroforce sprayer or pump sprayer then agitate. Make sure not to prespray more than you can clean before it dries. I like to start off spraying 3 or 4 rooms and getting those rooms done before spraying more. If the prespray dries before you clean it the chemical will still work but you lose a lot of effectiveness. If you see a presprayed area starting to dry lift your wand up and mist the room with it to re-wet it.

If you are going to run chemical through the solution line I recommend acid rinse. Scott gave some good advice above.

Steven8262

Aug 28, 2019
Real Name
Steven Schafer
I have moved away from using chemical in the solution line. I treated myself to a RotoVac 360i for on the Black Friday special. This week will be it's trial run. Hopefully that will give me better agitation.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I have moved away from using chemical in the solution line. I treated myself to a RotoVac 360i for on the Black Friday special. This week will be it's trial run. Hopefully that will give me better agitation.

It will clean/scrub awesome. Takes longer to clean but relaxing to use. I need to start using mine again.