An uptick in these sofas-ouch

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Upholstery cleaning is my least favorite service in this industry by far... but its something you have to offer because you may lose customers by not offering it, also it boosts otherwise smaller tickets to larger.

I refuse to do upholstery cheap though, especially huge sectionals with a million pillows.

Nothing will get a tech whining his ass off more than some big U shape sectionals with a pile of endless pillows lol

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Anyone notice these Restoration Hardware sofas are showing up more and more. Linen and cotton or blends of both. Anyone have ago to method or process for them?

1qt per Gal water in a bucket...make foam with a good sponge...rub on manageable sized sections...extract cold with one wet and two dry passes. The local restoration companies have me on speed dial for these after a couple of high $ Insurance claims.

And chaaaaa-ching!
81fNp-a82mL._SL1500_.jpg

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
That's pretty much exactly what I do except I normally just use Radiant shampoo with a sea sponge. If there is a better way I don't know what it is. I never shampooed anything for years. Glad I finally broke down and gave it a shot a few years ago. Makes doing pieces like that a lot less problematic.
A foamer hand held pump sprayer helps with cotton shampoo distribution and speeds up the lathering up step.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
A foamer hand held pump sprayer helps with cotton shampoo distribution and speeds up the lathering up step.
I’ve got plenty foam type sprayers. I’ll give this a try.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I've used both Fine fabric shampoo and Haitian cotton to deal with all linen material. The key, in my opinion, is evenly cover the whole area of furniture with your choice of shampoo to prevent watermarks starting to form when material starts to dry.Linen is unforgivable in that aspect. I've been lucky to clean only medium" trashed" pieces and I was lucky to get by with horse hair brush and mist and vac method. I second an opinion of the man of the year @ Jim Davisson on speed of drying and fiber rinse. Never ever have I left the house before furniture was completely dry. In this case, phrase: "Mrs. Jones, moisture enhances the color of the fabric, the original colours will pop back after your sofa is completely dry" might not work in this case. It might end up being bunch of minions dancing on the surface. Also, I've never owned sea foam or any other sponges I have knowledge of.
When I " grow" up, I want to be like. @ jtsunbrite, I want to do superb job with whatever resources I got on hand and never back up from a cleaning challenge.

Last edited:

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
1qt per Gal water in a bucket...make foam with a good sponge...rub on manageable sized sections...extract cold with one wet and two dry passes. The local restoration companies have me on speed dial for these after a couple of high $ Insurance claims.

And chaaaaa-ching!
View attachment 82093
Nice next time I will try it even though I have not seen a cotton or linen upholstery for the last couple of years. All I am getting is synthetic. I use to get a lot of cotton/linen when I was working for a upholstery cleaning company.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I've used both Fine fabric shampoo and Haitian cotton to deal with all linen material. The key, in my opinion, is evenly cover the whole area of furniture with your choice of shampoo to prevent watermarks starting to form when material starts to dry.Linen is unforgivable in that aspect. I've been lucky to clean only medium" trashed" pieces and I was lucky to get by with horse hair brush and mist and vac method. I second an opinion of the man of the year @ Jim Davisson on speed of drying and fiber rinse. Never ever have I left the house before furniture was completely dry. In this case, phrase: "Mrs. Jones, moisture enhances the color of the fabric, the original colours will pop back after your sofa is completely dry" might not work in this case. It might end up being bunch of minions dancing on the surface. Also, I've never owned sea foam or any other sponges I have knowledge of.
When I " grow" up, I want to be like. @ jtsunbrite, I want to do superb job with whatever resources I got on hand and never back up from a cleaning challenge.
that's it luky, you have to evenly wet the material, I look at each furniture as in how I will attack it with my chems.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I will have to try that, my foamer pump up sprayer broke, Generally I prespray evenly then scrub in with a microfiber towel , before rinse and extract.... then I use a big towel and I do a drying scrub and to groom the nap of the furniture the way I like it... then fans to start the drying.