Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Anyone notice these Restoration Hardware sofas are showing up more and more. Linen and cotton or blends of both. Anyone have ago to method or process for them?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Many cleaners decide to pass on some fabrics or fibers or on all upholstery. Meanwhile, we hold upholstery cleaning classes with only a handful of students. There can be very good money in cleaning upholstery if you have the training, confidence and skills to do the expensive and unfamiliar items that some pass on.

Allred

Dec 10, 2017
Real Name
Erich Allred
Many cleaners decide to pass on some fabrics or fibers or on all upholstery. Meanwhile, we hold upholstery cleaning classes with only a handful of students. There can be very good money in cleaning upholstery if you have the training, confidence and skills to do the expensive and unfamiliar items that some pass on.
Scott, how much of your upholstery classes are actually hands on versus the certification end?

Reactions: Odin

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have cleaned a lot of these in the past year, they are coming back in style. They are browners and are laborious to clean. Haitian cotton in a bucket worked in with a sea sponge and brush and then extracted with all fiber rinse, moreso on the dirty ones. Speed drying in the sunlight is your friend when using reducers and can really make the snow white ones POP! I charge $28-32 a running foot here, which is on the high side for the area, but these take 1.5x normal compared to non fussy upholstery. Nobody wants to clean these, but I like doing upholstery.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I have cleaned a lot of these in the past year, they are coming back in style. They are browners and are laborious to clean. Haitian cotton in a bucket worked in with a sea sponge and brush and then extracted with all fiber rinse, moreso on the dirty ones. Speed drying in the sunlight is your friend when using reducers and can really make the snow white ones POP! I charge $28-32 a running foot here, which is on the high side for the area, but these take 1.5x normal compared to non fussy upholstery. Nobody wants to clean these, but I like doing upholstery.
problem with the Haitian cotton cleaners they can trigger asthma attacks to sensitive people

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That's pretty much exactly what I do except I normally just use Radiant shampoo with a sea sponge. If there is a better way I don't know what it is. I never shampooed anything for years. Glad I finally broke down and gave it a shot a few years ago. Makes doing pieces like that a lot less problematic.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
problem with the Haitian cotton cleaners they can trigger asthma attacks to sensitive people
Interesting. I’ll check with my chemist to see what’s in them and why.

Reactions: Allred

Allred

Dec 10, 2017
Real Name
Erich Allred
thanks for bringing this up. I have terrible asthma. You might have saved me sir. Thanks.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
good reminder, thank you Scott. I found a class in April to go to.

Reactions: Scott W

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Interesting. I’ll check with my chemist to see what’s in them and why.
The strong smell is from sodium metabisulfite. Same stuff used in some browning agents and coffee stain removers. Works well, but not too friendly on the nose. I don't think you have to use it on all cottons. If you leave the fabric a little on the acid side or at least near neutral chances of browning are very slight to none. You won't have the brightening effect w/o the sod. meta though.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I never heard of meta triggering asthma, but good to know.

The unrefined cotton and cotton flax blends are the problems with these newer boutique store linen pieces. Back in the day it was papasan chairs and those hideous multi fabric corduroy type sofas that were terrible browners, not much to worry about anymore, the younger generations don't invest in quality furnishings like before, mostly synthetics.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I just did a linen couch with revive and boosted with chemspecs Haitian cotton clean !!! I didn't know it was hard to clean,, it came out perfect.
That’s good to know, thanks Jeff.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Scott, how much of your upholstery classes are actually hands on versus the certification end?
The class I took to become IICRC certified was 50% hands on, our instructor was awesome.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
You'll need to know your chemistry and education will help you big time!! you can make big Bucks.

I cleaned something like this a few weeks ago 3 bottom/back (full Sofa) cushions at $575.

But you need to know what you're doing

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
If it is not dirty and they need a refresher we have a local dry cleaning solution, just spray it on and agitate with a mitten and then dry vacuum using an extractor. If its in bad shape I expain that it is not cleanable with water that may cause damage on the fabric, I pass on and educate the customer what type of fabrics are cleanable and perhaps next time to buy those recommended fabrics.

Reactions: ACP and rob allen

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
That depends on the instructor, but not enough hands-on according to most students. We did try adding a third day to the class that was all hands-on, but that extra day was not well accepted either. We do encourage the instructors to shorten the book time and increase the hands-on time.

I do think the book learning is important. How to do a burn test; knowing the characteristics of different fibers and how they respond to cleaning, learning about flame retardants or that velvet is a weave and not a fiber. But, hands-on is also important. For those that want to be real pros, I suggest an IICRC upholstery course to get the basic and one of Jim Pemberton's too rare hands-on upholstery courses.

Reactions: Allred