Amazon home services

ToddBenne

Sep 7, 2008
O' fallon, MO.
Real Name
Todd Benne
We have been involved with the program for just about a year now. To answer some of the above questions;
Amazon Homes Services calls this claim based job opportunities.

AHS sets the price for requested services based on what they claim is research and averages for customer's zip code area.

You do not bid on the job, either click 'claim' or dismiss' If you choose to claim the job, you will be notified after an hour as to whether you got appointed the job or not. Then you receive contact info for the client, go through the steps to initialize the job.

You do have the opportunity to upsell once on site. However, keep in mind, AHS takes 10% of the final invoice. So you can present protectant, pet spot remedies, other items to be cleaned...just like normal.

Any other questions?

Reactions: Dedicated

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
We have been involved with the program for just about a year now. To answer some of the above questions;
Amazon Homes Services calls this claim based job opportunities.

AHS sets the price for requested services based on what they claim is research and averages for customer's zip code area.

You do not bid on the job, either click 'claim' or dismiss' If you choose to claim the job, you will be notified after an hour as to whether you got appointed the job or not. Then you receive contact info for the client, go through the steps to initialize the job.

You do have the opportunity to upsell once on site. However, keep in mind, AHS takes 10% of the final invoice. So you can present protectant, pet spot remedies, other items to be cleaned...just like normal.

Any other questions?

Do you get to coordinate a time or does the customer choose and you either accept or decline?

ToddBenne

Sep 7, 2008
O' fallon, MO.
Real Name
Todd Benne
Do you get to coordinate a time or does the customer choose and you either accept or decline?
It's a little of both. When the job is presented for you to accept or decline, the customer will have provided a day and time slot(s) they are wanting the work done. You can either click on one of the times that works for you or opt to submit an availability time slot back to the customer to accept or reject.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
We quote by phone, so I know problems can arise but we have set questions that we pre qualify jobs with.

Things like pet urine, does it need restoration, customers many times text us pics of the worst areas, or heavy filtration lines.

ToddBenne

Sep 7, 2008
O' fallon, MO.
Real Name
Todd Benne
So far our experience has been positive. As to it being pretty bad, not really. We have not thus far run into the scenarios you described, a rat nasty if you will. The customers that we have serviced have been what I would call more upscale in that they live in nice neighborhoods with clean homes and are not nightmare customers.

You are provided customer contact info once you are assigned a job by Amazon. We then make contact with the customer via phone and handle the pre job conversation just like normal.

At this point the concept is very fluid within Amazon. They have a some nagging issues to work out. They are a retail product company, not a service business. I wouldn't really encourage anyone to rush to join up. To date, almost a year, we have received six job opportunities of which I elected to service three. Two I could not accommodate the requested date/time, the other I felt was too far of travel for what AHS was billing out.

All you can do is see if they approve your company and try it. Some markets may provide more jobs than an other market. My market is very stagnant at this point. Also keep in mind, Amazon does zero marketing for the program. Amazon customers have to log in and 'find' the services section. It's not like Home Advisor or some such whereby they have tv commercial and such promoting the AHS.

hammerhead

Dec 1, 2008
Cape Coral Fl.
Real Name
Kevin Hamm
Can you even set your own prices or do they set them for you?

What if you get to the job and they need filtration lines removed for example, or pet stains, or its hammered carpet from slobs so you have to restore it?

There is 2 different price structures for Amazon Sell Services, you don't have to bid on the jobs but you do have to be quick to pick them up before some other cleaner does.

May 8, 2018
Real Name
Walli Castillo
New to the group. I've done some cleaning with Amazon, it's pretty good, but now they changed to where we would have to move all furniture, and frankly being a one man show I can't move the furniture so I might not do business for them anymore.

ToddBenne

Sep 7, 2008
O' fallon, MO.
Real Name
Todd Benne
Yes, AHS changed the parameters for carpet cleaning. Now the carpet cleaner must move any furniture. Previously, the customer was responsible for pre vac, move furniture. So length of time on job site will now be longer. As well as, about a month ago AHS sent out an email indicating that as of June, their cut of the final invoice will now be 20% instead of the current %10.

Their reasoning is that carpet cleaning is not a recurring service purchase. Unlike consumer goods, where an Amazon customer may buy a product on a continual basis, making purchases say monthly for example when they run out of a product.

Amazon, instead of marketing the program and increasing volume of carpet cleaning, they opted to double their cut of the action for what few jobs are requested. Not a well thought out program. Of course it's great for AHS, they now get double the revenue off participating cleaners.

Also, word is there is a Preferred Provider Model. If you are not on that list, you get sent the scraps to attempt to claim. I requested to be approved for the Preferred Provider deal last week, haven't heard back yet. Some are suggesting the large national chains get the bulk of the work, while the local guys get the left overs.

Be aware as well, there must be a minimum of three carpet cleaning providers in your market with AHS before they will even offer the service to Amazon customers in your area. So if you are not getting any opportunities to claim jobs, it may be because AHS indicates that service is not available currently when Amazon customers does a search.

I did service an AHS customer about three weeks ago. They were local to my area so I snagged the job offer, literally five minutes away. I asked the home owner why they didn't do a Google search for local companies. He said he was on Amazon buying some items and there was a pop up offering carpet cleaning at $20 off. So, there is another hidden fine print...AHS will promote carpet cleaning at reduced prices and not inform the cleaner of such. So, you get even less money out of the deal. On this particular cleaning I made out ok. Terribly small home, in and out in little over an hour for what we did.

All in all, I would call AHS....meh.

Anielytra

Jul 8, 2021
Real Name
Jeffrey J Gregory
I too have used these services as a delivery service. I was also offered a job that I turned down. Everything turned out to be much simpler. I had my own cleaning service where I worked. I was buying cleaning products for my business, and Amazon offered to contract me for large shipments. The only option was to order in bulk and the price was low. My customers who wanted a service like here https://www.ssrestore.com/mold-remediation-san-diego/ almost always asked to use products from Amazon. I guess they thought they were magic remedies and believed the ads. Amazon was just selling more and getting more. But there were no results and I had to change providers. And then I tried their products myself and decided not to get involved with this company at all (who exactly is bringing them chemicals?).