Am I doing something

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
5 hours and this is all I got done. Sinergy pads with over 50 lbs of extra weight. Granted the floor is very trashed. Sweep and mop only,for the last 25 years. Would a propane burnished speed this up or is there something I'm missing.
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1400970165.684576.jpg
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1400970192.498101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That looks like granite to me. Spinergy pads are not made for granite. Granite is too hard of a stone for spinergy pads.

The floor looks more like it has a topical coating on it or so many layers of dirt built up. I am going to venture to say you have not polished anything but you have removed the topical wax/soils exposing the shiny granite underneath.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Yeah, with the close up picture you posted that is terrazo. Terrazo can also be real hard (as in soft / hard) as well.

Tell me the process you have used so far.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Started with 200 grit (8x) , 400 grit (8x), 800 grit (8x), then I believe the last one was 11000 grit (8 to 10x). All of this was at a very slow pace.

These are Spinergy pads right???

If so I see your problem. Most times you will start with the 800 grit, then go to 1500, 3000, 8000, and then finish with 11,000. They sell the 200 and 400 grit separately from the set and those are only for trashed floors, worse than what you have.

The 800 grit ( the 3rd one you used) is a honing pad which will not produce any shine at all. Making the jump from 800 grit to 11,000 grit will make it next to impossible to produce any shine as you have found out. You need to polish up gradually like mentioned above....800, 1500, 3000, 8000, 11,000.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Thanks for the tip Travis ! Never heard of this stripper but it sounds great. Really under the impression the Spinergy pads were for use on clean floors ------could be wrong. Next order to https://shop.truckmountforums.com I'll have to get the stripper and try it. Thanks Again and Best of Luck.
The Common Janitor, Ed

Reactions: travisp83

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Really under the impression the Spinergy pads were for use on clean floors ------could be wrong.

Yes, this is very important. If you use Spinergy pads on dirty floors the dirt / sand / grit will contaminate the pads and render them ineffective. The floor needs to be as clean as possible before using Spinergy pads.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
Just got home from putting a slop coat down on new construction. Thank you Todd for all the information. I had read about stripping the floor before using them but was under the impression that was if there is wax on the floor. They have used simple green to mop so all I did was scrubbed with a nutral cleaner. I can't make out the numbers on the last pad but they are yellow and could read 3000.

Bob the floor guy

Jan 6, 2014
saint marys, pa
Real Name
robert perlick
I agree. Stripper pad and slow speed will work great but don't use regular stripper. Dilute Unitex Melt Down stripper and use that. Strip it and suck it up with a wet/dry vac and then neutralize it. Bet it works much faster this way.
I will give this a stripper a try. Thanks