All truckmount blower sizes ever available | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

All truckmount blower sizes ever available

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I keep wanting to get a Bonzer or Zipper, I think it's about the only two tools I haven't tried.

I wasn't a fan of the CX-15 at all.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
True Jim, but what about when using something such as a Rotovac? Or a tile spinner? Is it just 200 CFM regardless?
Depends on a number of factors, hose arrangement to the back of the inline filter, static loss of the filter itself, hose run to the tool and leaky vac hose connections are the main ones if we are comparing brand new machines taking wear or wear induced system leaks from the equation. You will find you are probably mid 200's CFM wise with 2" hose open hose with an average residential hose run. 2.5" hose will be greater and a benefit for any tool with a total bigger vacuum opening than your average scrub wand. TM's with higher operating lift have an edge at the end of the hose run IMO.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
you have to look at rpm, HP and torque.....

Most rpm is set to only 75% of full capacity - then you will only get 75%..of vacuum cfm.....

Notice most manufactures say up to ???????

Most blowers have to run at 3600 rpm for full output....!!!

Your APEX 570 will get about 400 cfm from what I here....
but could get 450 cfm at capacity..

This is probably why a lot of portables with boosters are catching up on TM vacuum because of the underpowering of blowers and the loss of vacuum in large waste tanks.....
Roots quotes max CFM on the discharge side, but lower numbers at max lift at max RPM's. Manufacturers only quote max discharge numbers at max RPM and not actual TM numbers at even the recovery tank. It's very misleading from the start.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Here's a chart addressing CFM of carpet cleaning roots blower sizes at discharge and at max lift at specified BHP @ specified RPM for blower rated speed. A 45 blower at max lift will achieve 326 CFM at the blower inlet in lab conditions. Add blower to tank plumbing a fine CFM robbing recovery tank filter, clumsy air handling waste tanks, inline debris filters, 100' of hose even at 11" Hg operating lift, is no where near 326 CFM at the wand. Quoted numbers in brochures and on the internet are basically useless.

Screenshot_20190818-211250_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

Running 4" from the tank to a Y fitting and a course mesh filter (panty hose covered) inlet blower screen I can get 335 max CFM with a 45 blower. Through my own filter at the back of the van it's 285 CFM @ 3000 RPM. If I change the spring size and holes used on the Kohler motor throttle I can run it up to 3600+ RPM again and over drive my pump, but it's not necessary since the wand won't allow it anyway. If you are single wanding don't get to pumped up about brochure TM numbers, they are fake news IMO.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Here's a chart addressing CFM of carpet cleaning roots blower sizes at discharge and at max lift at specified BHP @ specified RPM for blower rated speed. A 45 blower at max lift will achieve 326 CFM at the blower inlet in lab conditions. Add blower to tank plumbing a fine CFM robbing recovery tank filter, clumsy air handling waste tanks, inline debris filters, 100' of hose even at 11" Hg operating lift, is no where near 326 CFM at the wand. Quoted numbers in brochures and on the internet are basically useless.

View attachment 86904

Running 4" from the tank to a Y fitting and a course mesh filter (panty hose covered) inlet blower screen I can get 335 max CFM with a 45 blower. Through my own filter at the back of the van it's 285 CFM @ 3000 RPM. If I change the spring size and holes used on the Kohler motor throttle I can run it up to 3600+ RPM again and over drive my pump, but it's not necessary since the wand won't allow it anyway. If you are single wanding don't get to pumped up about brochure TM numbers, they are fake news IMO.

You're the man @Jim Davisson .

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States

View attachment 86904

Isn't the objective of the different sizes of the blowers to pull the water faster back to the tank? I don't think 11hg on your description above will do anything at all before the vacuum relief valve opens and kills the suction.

Picture the hose full of water when you're flushing the carpet out at 12flow on your wand. If your hg is set at 14...which tm will recover the water faster, allowing you to keep moving at a good speed with the wand? The 36 blower or the 45?

Just wondering because I went all out with my last purchase when I bought my everest and the different size blower really makes a difference. I do remember the difference with my 36 and 45 on the first two tm's I owned and I couldn't tell much of a difference. I'm just wondering if someone was to want a bigger machine than their 36blower if they should do like me and buy the best or just buy something in the middle?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
specs and lab #s dont actually tell the entire truth...

you have to field test all of this......

best setup for any TM is to use a portable booster...
rotovac cfx or mytee air hog......

I have used 1 on almost every job this year and can 100% garuntee through field testing that an average TM with a 45 blower and a booster will out perform any TM up to a 56 blower.....

my field testing shows an increase of 2 blower sizes with a portable booster....!!!!!!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Isn't the objective of the different sizes of the blowers to pull the water faster back to the tank? I don't think 11hg on your description above will do anything at all before the vacuum relief valve opens and kills the suction.

Picture the hose full of water when you're flushing the carpet out at 12flow on your wand. If your hg is set at 14...which tm will recover the water faster, allowing you to keep moving at a good speed with the wand? The 36 blower or the 45?

Just wondering because I went all out with my last purchase when I bought my everest and the different size blower really makes a difference. I do remember the difference with my 36 and 45 on the first two tm's I owned and I couldn't tell much of a difference. I'm just wondering if someone was to want a bigger machine than their 36blower if they should do like me and buy the best or just buy something in the middle?
Matt, I test this stuff out on our own equipment to know if I'm making ground or not. The 11"Hg referenced above is operating lift while cleaning and not max lift set at the blower, I have our 45 set at 16" Hg.

At 2 GPM flow from the wand it's only 4 oz per second and after the first 50' of hose it starts to travel along the bottom of the vac hose from gravity. 2" vac hose usually has 90% available for airflow when cleaning.

Running dual 2" to the back of a great inline filter with no leaks from the tank to the wand with 2" hose for a residential hose run with is plenty with even a 36 blower. Lift is what makes the difference with a tight system, max lift and especially operating lift at the wand is what I have found to have the most impact. These are just my personal observations and results, take it for what it's worth.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

You wasted your money Matt.

• Haha
Reactions: matt30577

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
These numbers are true on paper but once you actually hold a wand attached to a 600cfm blower and clean some carpet with it you quickly realize the reality.

Is it overkill for residential? Definitely... but is there a difference between a 45 blower and a #6 at the wand? Absolutely.

IF the type of carpet seals really hard and locks down because very little air can flow through the backing.... then maybe not much of a difference

But with wand down on the carpet and air flowing through the backing.. then your moving a lot of air with a #6 and the water is evacuating out of the hose much faster.

Reactions: matt30577

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Big blowers operate with higher lift to the wand and at the machine. If you have a tight setup, try adjusting your lift higher for even just one job and feel the difference for yourself.

Our portables with a short hose run pin out really quick at high lift (16.25" Hg). If you have the ab strength to lift the wand head up with the assist hand slightly on the back stroke and the carpet lifts off the floor, the difference is amazing. Carpets are much drier and debris in the filter increases substantially because of the airflow "through" the carpet when the carpet is not directly on the pad. It's crazy.

With some simple changes, better performance is available to anyone willing to take the time and effort to tweak their current setup. You will see the difference in your filter and feel the difference at the floor.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Hey Jim would you be interested in teaching me more about some portable set up efficiency tips?

I'm taking on a consulting job for a large restoration company and they do a lot of commercial carpet cleaning work - buy they will literally run their hoses 1,000 ft from the truck mount instead of using portables.

The few jobs I've been on they would have the ability to use a portable with a autofill/auto dump if they choose to.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Hey Jim would you be interested in teaching me more about some portable set up efficiency tips?

I'm taking on a consulting job for a large restoration company and they do a lot of commercial carpet cleaning work - buy they will literally run their hoses 1,000 ft from the truck mount instead of using portables.

The few jobs I've been on they would have the ability to use a portable with a autofill/auto dump if they choose to.
Are you sure you want advice from a guy with "recycled junk" machines, built by a guy that thinks he knows more than Aerotech engineers????

Sorry for the above, I absolutely couldn't resist ;-p

Our machines our purpose built from the ground up for speed and performance exactly how we need to use them. I'm not sure if I can help you transmit that to their equipment without component changes. Let me know what the are using and I will see if I can help you.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Lol I don't think I've ever thought about you that way and always appreciate your insights.

Basically at end of the day I just want to create a stream-lined set up for them, maybe using a Nautilus Extreme 500 and a Mytee AirHog or something to that effect for longer runs.

I think for all the commercial work they do, running the truck mounts is costing them insane fuel amounts, and with such long hose runs it isn't much better than a portable anyways.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Lol I don't think I've ever thought about you that way and always appreciate your insights.

Basically at end of the day I just want to create a stream-lined set up for them, maybe using a Nautilus Extreme 500 and a Mytee AirHog or something to that effect for longer runs.

I think for all the commercial work they do, running the truck mounts is costing them insane fuel amounts, and with such long hose runs it isn't much better than a portable anyways.
1000ft is crazy long, usually a building of that size VLM is a much better option (pad capping) than HWE. They should be buying 2-3 cimex machines not portables imo

Using the right encap products now I no longer believe commercial carpet cannot be 100% done VLM all the time. I used to believe it needed HWE in between, but that's only the case imo if it's a really greasy restaurant.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

If you want to go with hwe and those portables we can get you cleaning at TM speed and quality and have 300' of range. Let me know.

Reactions: J20770

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
What pads does a Cimex use for absorption? I can't find them online - all the ones I see are scrub pads.

And yeah I definitely want to know the most efficient setup for Portable use at 300' - many of these places are jobs being done at night, in secured buildings, so running hoses from truck mount is just silliness.