Air quality test? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Air quality test?

mjb4ex

Apr 29, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Butler
I was speaking with one of my clients yesterday who works for a huge military contractor, largest employer in my city. She said she had an air quality test done on the building that she wanted quoted and that the test came back off the charts with allergens and what not. Whoever did it said it was probably due to the carpet and hvac system. Many of my customers are only getting their carpets cleaned because they're trashed and LOOK trashed. Or Mrs. Jones only wants the living room done because that's the only room her dog supposedly pissed all over in and it can be seen.

Would an air quality test be a way to show cheap Mrs. Jones that just because she can't see the $hit her baby is crawling in, her baby is still crawling in $hit? How much of the air quality is effected by dirty carpet? And would it change after we've cleaned the carpet?

Reactions: Luky

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
An air quality test would show you what's in the air - but it wouldn't show you necessarily where it's coming from. So I don't know that the expense and waiting period involved in getting air tests done would be a cost-effective way of generating more carpet cleaning jobs.

You might try something much simpler, a trick that's often used to generate upholstery cleaning jobs when you're already on-site:

Turn your vacuum down to a dull roar and stretch a black or other dark-colored cloth napkin across the inlet of your hose, secured with a stout rubber band so it doesn't get sucked into the hose. Then touch your hose briefly to the carpet. When the customer sees all the disgusting junk stuck to that dark napkin, they have visual proof that their carpet is much dirtier than it appears to the naked eye.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
You can get particle counter and do your own air quality test. The cost $2,000 to $$5,000 just 3 or 4 years ago. Now they are available for around $800. Each test will cost about $2. You can get results on the size of the particles and infer what type of particles they are, but this would not be equal to a test read by a tech with a microscope who can identify specific particles.

Particle sin the air tend to go up after any activity on carpet - cleaning, vacuumin, just walking. This is because the dirt held in the carpet has been disturbed and gotten into the air. An hour later the number of particles goes down and the air quality goes up.

A really accurate test would be to test air above the carpet and comapre to air above a tile floor or other hard surface. When the carpet has been cleaned regulalry, the air above a carpet is aleways cleaner than air above a hard floor.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
An air quality test would show you what's in the air - but it wouldn't show you necessarily where it's coming from. So I don't know that the expense and waiting period involved in getting air tests done would be a cost-effective way of generating more carpet cleaning jobs.

You might try something much simpler, a trick that's often used to generate upholstery cleaning jobs when you're already on-site:

Turn your vacuum down to a dull roar and stretch a black or other dark-colored cloth napkin across the inlet of your hose, secured with a stout rubber band so it doesn't get sucked into the hose. Then touch your hose briefly to the carpet. When the customer sees all the disgusting junk stuck to that dark napkin, they have visual proof that their carpet is much dirtier than it appears to the naked eye.
I wonder why dark cloth, Mama Fen. I've been " enticing " customers, who don't want their "4th" room clean, because nobody's used it for years. But instead I've use white cotton towel placed between cuff and wand tube and did a few dry passes in so called untouched room. Then I showed them about 1" thick circle of dust, hair, accumulated after those short passes, Customer never ever said no to adding another room to their bill.
Still, I consider it a great topic, I would do the air test in my home and see how many factors are contributing to over all "purity" of air we breath on daily basis. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Scott will explain it all in a jiff

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I was speaking with one of my clients yesterday who works for a huge military contractor, largest employer in my city. She said she had an air quality test done on the building that she wanted quoted and that the test came back off the charts with allergens and what not. Whoever did it said it was probably due to the carpet and hvac system. Many of my customers are only getting their carpets cleaned because they're trashed and LOOK trashed. Or Mrs. Jones only wants the living room done because that's the only room her dog supposedly pissed all over in and it can be seen.

Would an air quality test be a way to show cheap Mrs. Jones that just because she can't see the $hit her baby is crawling in, her baby is still crawling in $hit? How much of the air quality is effected by dirty carpet? And would it change after we've cleaned the carpet?
no

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Luky, a black cloth shows dead skin, bulbed hairs, dandruff, and other light-colored components of dust quite clearly. If a white towel looks grody after a touch in a vacant room, a black one may look even worse.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Look up on line about in door air pollution. It is supper bad for many reasons.

Most soils brought in on feet and cloths is not removed by cheep dry vacuum cleaners and if the user does not change the bags or clean the filters after every use. You will have very polluted indoor air.

Some vacuums like the filter queen 360 traps a lot of particles under 1.0 micron. The Filter Queen is better then the Dyson for removing in door Air Pollution.

I came to my option after researching some very top secret info, I call it top secret as you can not find any evidence to support the claims Dyson makes as there is no better vacuum that releases cleaner air out of a vacuum's canister.

Only one page did I find by a independent tester. His claim was .06 and under escape the best Dyson Bag less Vacuum Cleaner.

Maybe a lot of technical stuff as the Dyson is the only cyclonic dust collector vacuum cleaner. As I recall, It should not even be rated as Hepa Filler

But to put on the packaging that the Dyson blows cleaner air then any other vacuum cleaner is a lie....

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I wonder why dark cloth, Mama Fen. I've been " enticing " customers, who don't want their "4th" room clean, because nobody's used it for years. But instead I've use white cotton towel placed between cuff and wand tube and did a few dry passes in so called untouched room. Then I showed them about 1" thick circle of dust, hair, accumulated after those short passes, Customer never ever said no to adding another room to their bill.
Still, I consider it a great topic, I would do the air test in my home and see how many factors are contributing to over all "purity" of air we breath on daily basis. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Scott will explain it all in a jiff

From decaDES IN THE CLEANING INDUSTRY, i HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF SOIL. lIGHT COLORED SOIL THAT SHOWS UP BEST ON A DARK CLOTH AND DARK COLORED SOIL THAT SHOWS UP ON A WHITE CLOTH.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States

If you want to show her about the condition of the carpet; then you might want to get an ATP meter. You would do a before and after test at a cost of about 2.50 each for the test swabs. The meter itself is about 1100.00. It will tell the story though. :)

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Look up on line about in door air pollution. It is supper bad for many reasons.

Most soils brought in on feet and cloths is not removed by cheep dry vacuum cleaners and if the user does not change the bags or clean the filters after every use. You will have very polluted indoor air.

Some vacuums like the filter queen 360 traps a lot of particles under 1.0 micron. The Filter Queen is better then the Dyson for removing in door Air Pollution.

I came to my option after researching some very top secret info, I call it top secret as you can not find any evidence to support the claims Dyson makes as there is no better vacuum that releases cleaner air out of a vacuum's canister.

Only one page did I find by a independent tester. His claim was .06 and under escape the best Dyson Bag less Vacuum Cleaner.

Maybe a lot of technical stuff as the Dyson is the only cyclonic dust collector vacuum cleaner. As I recall, It should not even be rated as Hepa Filler

But to put on the packaging that the Dyson blows cleaner air then any other vacuum cleaner is a lie....
Dyson Big Ball Animal is the one I be talking about in this post.

After looking at Dyson's website, the Filter Queen dry vacuum cleaner works just as good as Dyson's Air purifier.

Filter Queen claims Better-than-HEPA Filtration

and

Original Bag less, Cyclonic-Action System

http://www.filterqueen.com/majestic.html

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Here is a statement to independent testing.

http://www.vacuumsguide.com/dyson-cinetic-big-ball/

But how does it work? This new vacuum comes with smaller cyclones that enables it to successfully capture smaller dust particles. But this also makes it easy to clog any filter. The company uses tiny oscillating tips to resolve this problem, a technology which it called Cinetic. These tips vibrate 350 times a second, so there’s no chance of dust clogging the aperture. This system pushes the dust straight into the bin. Dyson claims that dust particles as small as 0.6 microns can be easily spun out of the airflow into the bin, and similarly to its’ earlier canister models (the Cinetic DC52/DC54), this means you won’t have to spend time cleaning the dust filter. The company founder James Dyson argued that filter maitantnace is one of the biggest issues vacuum cleaners face these days. Dyson’s engineers spent 7 years perfecting the innovative cyclone technology to make usual filter maintenance obsolete. The constant oscillating Cinetic tips ensure cyclones do not block the passage as all tiny dust particles are spun out of the air and are not trapped inside a cyclone or on the air filter.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
What is a HEPA filter?

HEPA filters are composed of a mat of randomly arranged fibres. The fibres are typically composed of fiberglass and possess diameters between 0.5 and 2.0 micrometers. Key factors affecting function are fibre diameter, filter thickness, and face velocity.
HEPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
On the box of Dyson Ball Animal vacuums

It makes the claim that it expels cleaner air then any other vacuum.
and
has the Asthma Friendly Logo... Just like Stanly Steamer

WHAT A CROK OF BULL SHIT MARKETING

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
Interesting idea to get the cheapskates to try and get more carpet cleaned. I like the idea, but I think at the end of the day they are still to cheap to change their minds.

Could be mind blowing for some and work really well or work to well and the scare tactics might just convince them to just rip out the carpet for good.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Good to know...... lol

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I daily vaccum my carpets to prevent dust and dirt from staying inside and call nyc upholstery cleaners once in a month to do it's cleaning also.
That is pretty frequent cleaning. Their system must be causing the carpet to resoil quickly. Probably sticky residues left behind. I would find another cleaning company.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
The problem is that all you'd be proving is there are allergens in the air and as long as there is air movement, those allergens will stay in the air. You just being in the room is going to keep them airborn, and in fact, you're presence in the room is adding more allergens. A fan on, AC running, these things all keep allergens airborn. So cleaning the carpet will reduce allergens in the carpet that may get released into the air, but it's not going to have a significant impact on the air quality. If you did this test for me, then cleaned my carpets, I'd want a test with clean carpets to prove it worked. The results would be pretty minimal and I would be leaving a review about your air quality scam to up the price.

Now, if you had some HEPA air scrubbers then maybe you could use an air quality test to show all these dust floating around the house, tell them after cleaning you can set up several of these machines for 24 hours to help filter the air, come back and show them the nasty filters in the machines and do another air quality test. THAT might sell.