Air Hog Plus Design Issues - FOAMING | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Air Hog Plus Design Issues - FOAMING

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
There have been several posts on this board about our foamy friend, the Air Hog. Many have concluded that piglets have been the main cause of this. I'm thinking that this is a design issue. The more you crank up the cfm's going through the AH (I have it cranked to 300) the more foaming issues you get - almost to the point where it's uncontrollable and your vac motors are blowing foam out of their exhaust.

Here's my thoughts:

• The Lint Hog is too close to the recovery tank
  • The Lint Hog is flawed where it collects water at the bottom of the lint hog reducing performance quickly and increasing turbulence
Possible fixes:

• Pull the lint hog out and put it or another one downline - CAN YOU DO THIS? Can you unscrew the lint hog and put a normal barb on the pvc pipe that it's attached to in the Air Hog?
  • Pull the filter basket out of the lint hog on the AH and use another filter downline - the problem is you would still have the lint hog shell which I'm assuming will still collect water.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
good question! This is something I would like to know before I buy an Air Hog

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
The water collecting at the bottom of the lint hog is a PITA. I have no idea if the piglet helps or hinders the foaming...I've just posted my results. I don't use defoamer very often as well.

Reactions: Troyster

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
The water collecting at the bottom of the lint hog is a PITA. I have no idea if the piglet helps or hinders the foaming...I've just posted my results. I don't use defoamer very often as well.
I have no idea how the Hog is designed but I altered my booster my extending the pickup ( for removal to the main unit) to about a 1/2 inch off the bottom. 300 plus CFM and never had any foaming issues before or after alteration. As Steve said pita ; the water at the bottom.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
There have been several posts on this board about our foamy friend, the Air Hog. Many have concluded that piglets have been the main cause of this. I'm thinking that this is a design issue. The more you crank up the cfm's going through the AH (I have it cranked to 300) the more foaming issues you get - almost to the point where it's uncontrollable and your vac motors are blowing foam out of their exhaust.

Here's my thoughts:

• The Lint Hog is too close to the recovery tank
  • The Lint Hog is flawed where it collects water at the bottom of the lint hog reducing performance quickly and increasing turbulence
Possible fixes:

• Pull the lint hog out and put it or another one downline - CAN YOU DO THIS? Can you unscrew the lint hog and put a normal barb on the pvc pipe that it's attached to in the Air Hog?
  • Pull the filter basket out of the lint hog on the AH and use another filter downline - the problem is you would still have the lint hog shell which I'm assuming will still collect water.
I'm planning to add the devastator filter to my unit as soon as I make the conversion to the van. I don't have space for it in my truck. I was hoping to keep the screen filter in place on the Lint hog....unless I find it hampers performance or causes issues like foaming.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
I'm planning to add the devastator filter to my unit as soon as I make the conversion to the van. I don't have space for it in my truck. I was hoping to keep the screen filter in place on the Lint hog....unless I find it hampers performance or causes issues like foaming.
I was wondering about the devastator and your Devastator filter is of the smaller size !:eek:
I did not remove my screen filter from the stacks when using the Devastator. Very little passes thru the paint filter and green sock.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
The Air Hog is a foam machine! The two 6.6 motors I have sucking on the top port of the AH are blowing foam out on about every job . This happens despite a 90° elbow I added inside to where the lint hog dumps into the tank. I think it's a combination of the lint hog design + the small tank + 300 cfm creating massive amounts of turbulence.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using TMF Forums mobile app

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Ok - getting to the bottom of this more... Talked to Nathan at Mytee and I agree that instead of increasing foam the piglet might decrease it entering into the tank by slowing it down and allowing more to drip into the tank. The major reasons for excessive foaming are:

- High cfm - more cfm more foam
- Relatively small tank that, when is hit with foam with 300 cfm it doesn't have enough distance to drop into the bottom of the tank.
- My usual foamy pre-spray cocktails - I'm going to adjust this
- Not using sprinkle on (the floor) defoamer - I'm doing this now. Obviously you can't add defoamer to the AH tank with apo on

It still may pay dividends to move the Lint Hog farther away from the AH - Nathan told me I can simply change some barbs and I'll be good if I want to do this.

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
Something I've thought of but never had the time to try is using a basketball fill needle with a hose attached to it drawing from a small jug along side the AH, or attached to the air hog. I think the suction created by air rushing by would draw in a small amount of defoamer, which would be isopropyl alcohol and water Isopropyl alcohol is a cheap and very effective defoamer and drops the surface tension of water making it flow more easily. A tiny hole drilled diagonally into the screw on front cover would allow the needle a path into the airstream to pull defoamer from the tip of the needle... Flow could be controlled with a needle valve. I used to make glass siphon sprayers for applying iridescent chemicals to hot glass that used the same principle. I haven't had time to check this one out, but I think it'll work.

Using a Devastator negates the problem.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
After lowering my foaming additives I have seen 0 problems the last few jobs with foam coming out of the exhaust ports - also the elbow I added inside the AH is pointing more towards the inside wall which might allow foam to splash and drop. Ultimately I think a Devastator would be better as it won't clog up as fast either - the lint hog doesn't take long to start losing performance when doing a job.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
After lowering my foaming additives I have seen 0 problems the last few jobs with foam coming out of the exhaust ports - also the elbow I added inside the AH is pointing more towards the inside wall which might allow foam to splash and drop. Ultimately I think a Devastator would be better as it won't clog up as fast either - the lint hog doesn't take long to start losing performance when doing a job.
Jim
1. Do you pre vac ? The Devastator does not rid the need to pre vac. Trust me.
2. Why can't you add defoamer with the APO running? I add the powder directly to vacuum hose after removing it from the wand with the APO engaged.
3. Small tank may be your culprit as you pointed out . I have a 8 gallon tank.
4. Yes , you are correct Splash and Drop !

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I had foaming problems from the get go on my 1005dx! Every job had varying degrees of foam! I listened to the advice to turn the inlet elbow to face the tank wall and ditch the piglet filter and when I used it on a big job I had almost zip for foam!

Reactions: StevenB.

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I had foaming problems from the get go on my 1005dx! Every job had varying degrees of foam! I listened to the advice to turn the inlet elbow to face the tank wall and ditch the piglet filter and when I used it on a big job I had almost zip for foam!
same here... I wonder if they could make a fix for that sock.. I like the idea to caught all that junk ...

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
Steve may have hit on the solution with using the Lint hog with just the screen filter and not the piglet filter! The small stuff will get by but would catch bigger crap! I use agitator on carpet and it gets a lot of pet hair so that would cut down a lot on that problem

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
Jim
1. Do you pre vac ? The Devastator does not rid the need to pre vac. Trust me.
2. Why can't you add defoamer with the APO running? I add the powder directly to vacuum hose after removing it from the wand with the APO engaged.
3. Small tank may be your culprit as you pointed out . I have a 8 gallon tank.
4. Yes , you are correct Splash and Drop !
Always pre-vac unless the customer has done so and it's a good job - sometime will even crb it first. I'm using CTI's crystal defoamer - sprinkling on carpet and it seems to be helping a lot. Also since the elbow has been pointed towards the inner wall I have not seen this issue come up again...

Paul Brown

Aug 18, 2008
Santa Rosa CA
Real Name
Paul Brown
Business Location
United States
I use an airhog, single motor on a lot of jobs. I have a 6' hose and plug it into one port on my Devastator filter…the other hose comes from the Savage in the van. I've left the nylon hog liner in the lint filter on the Airhog, not much gets through the Devastator so I rarely have to clean it out. No foaming issues at all using it in this configuration. I used the Trex for the first job today…I last cleaned these carpets in 2010 just before my bike accident. they turned out very well. I used the new Bonnet Pro Confidence and was pleased with the results. The client was estatic with how nice the carpets looked and how dry they were. Thank You, T Rex!

Second job today I used the Trinity OP. Again, customer was very pleased, his brother over to visit asked if I would schedule his carpets also. I didn't take pics today…I was trying to get done, I start a concrete stain job tomorrow at a truck dealership locally….get to switch hats for a day. I stained the concrete 5 years ago at the new Peterbuilt dealership this friend was opening then at the same time of year….something about November….

Sunday's my Birthday….. no flowers please, chocolate and gift cards are fine though…..LOL!

Reactions: StevenB.