Air Duct or another Truck Mount?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Simple decision - difficult to make!

Since starting as a 1 truck operation in August 2019 we've done very well - paid back 30% of our initial investment, bills paid ahead, booked out a decent amount.

Should we add another carpet cleaning truck mount or maybe expand into Air Duct? What do you guys think? By expanding into Air Duct we would want an air duct truck like the H1 or H2.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Would and air duct system that hooks to the truckmount be and option?

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I've always heard those systems are not good SRD.

In my market there is a big demand for air duct cleaning. We already turn at least a few calls a week away.

Especially all the big rental communities around here. Most guys I see are half assing it with portables.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I saw one that hooked to a truckmount once it screwd on to your 2" hose and was vacuum driven seamed well built and iverly simple... part that screwed the brush on to the hose was milled aluminum. Guy told me to grab it and try to stop it from turning, could barely get it stopped, i was impressed with the torque being vac driven. Having said that i dont know anything about air duct cleaning (we sub it out when needed) so that system may not be worth a shit. Ive always heard the duct cleaning trucks are the way to go, maybe get the truckmount driven one and build that part of the business then look at a truck specifically for ducts?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
duct cleaning is a big thing around here. Had several duct cleaning only companies for years and now the Heating and Cooling companies are doing it too. SS doing it too here.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
Denying jobs is a good indicator follow the money! I'd be all over air ducts but they require roofs and latters so passs

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Ah, in my market it's mostly dealing with basements
What city/state you in.

If you do try to add ducts........get some training. Its not hard, but easy to do poorly.
Your profit per job/hour spent cleaning is a lot higher with air ducts.

Microwave Dan

Feb 3, 2020
Real Name
Dan H
Air Ducts are very profitable, and gives your customers a reason to call you again. Plus you can offer another service while doing a job instead of just trying to find more customers for carpet.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
IMHO: Not much demand for Duct Cleaning. "Out of site; out of mind" theory.

I would opt for the TM.
yup, you are right Ed.

Everyone please do not clean Air Ducts.

No one is doing it.

It is not profitable.

Its impossible to make your phone ring as no one can see the dirt.

Sorry Ed,

Couldn't resist

Feelin sassy this AM

Guessing you have never cleaned or done marketing for air duct cleaning services at any volume. By volume I mean 30-50+ jobs per week.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Like anything....gotta sell it. If you're already established as a carpet cleaner I can see Air Duct being very easy and profitable to get into.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Like anything....gotta sell it. If you're already established as a carpet cleaner I can see Air Duct being very easy and profitable to get into.
Whats even easier, being an Air Duct Cleaner and adding on Carpet, Tile, Dryer vents etc. Duct Cleaning is not cheap. So once they are ready to spend the money on Duct Cleaning adding carpet or another service looks cheap and easy for them to swallow. And its an easy sell that we can take care of everything in one trip for them rather than having 3-4 different companies and appointment times to come in and out of their homes.

Average Duct Cleaning is a little over 400 bucks for residential jobs on average with many jobs being much much higher. Carpet jobs are closer to 200. So upselling a much more expensive product as an upsell is much harder.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
How much to come train on an air duct truck for 2 days Spazz?

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
How much to come train on an air duct truck for 2 days Spazz?
I too busy right now.
I am trying to hire/grow/add 2 crews right now.

That offer I threw out the other day was no BS.

Perhaps if this corona slows things down a bit we could talk.